Instrument Study book recommendation

For me the best books are the instrument flying handbook and of course the far/aim. 

Studying from the far/aim is key so you get comfortable with it as it is the only reference material you can use during your practical test. 

If you want to go the "easy" way, Kings School has a great instrument written and practical exam prep course. 

The FAA used to print two books… one for VFR, the other for IFR…

They we’re near free in printed format… and free in electronic format…

See if you can find the electronic format… to see if it is worth buying the book…

As far as studying to pass the IFR written test goes…

There is a Gleim book that is specific to the test questions…

The government has 300+ variations of about 100 questions you need to know…

To keep from being fooled by how they wrote the question… find an online test system where you get to answer all the questions and get scored… I found a free one just by looking once… :)

It is easy to learn why you are getting certain questions wrong… usually a mis-understanding…

I only scored a 98% on the written… practicing a handful of questions every day… I never found out what question I missed…

PP thoughts only, not a CFI…

Best regards,

-a-

Gleim is comprehensive albeit dry in that the information is not spoon fed to you via videos.  One of the things I liked about it was they give you the reasons for the wrong answers in addition to the right ones.  I got in the high nineties (can't remember the exact numbers) on both the CFII written and AGI written that I took the same day many years ago after studying with Gleim.  I missed one on the ATP written also using Gleim.

• Like 1

This past December I purchased the King course and can highly recommend it because unlike Shepard, that I was convinced to buy for my commercial, King actually teaches the material. I learned a lot and only missed 2 on my written. Like your Private, there’s a lot to learn for the IR and I believe a thorough program is a great way to go. Now, King is kind of corny at times, but it’s solid.

Shepard feels like cheating because the only thing they do is teach you the answers. There is zero intent on you learning anything about the subject. I’m sure I’ll pass my test, but really learn much. YMMV

• Like 1

For Instrument and Private, I recommend some form that teaches you the actual material versus preps you for the test.  For these two ratings, the information will be used for the rest of your flying career.  For the other ones, get one of the test prep books and learn to pass the test.  Most of the info is a rehash of the Private and/or Instrument.

10 hours ago, redbaron1982 said:

Studying from the far/aim is key so you get comfortable with it as it is the only reference material you can use during your practical test. 

Is this true? When I took my commercial checkride the examiner said “you can use any source you want, even the internet.” I took my instrument checkride in the 90’s so I don’t remember what I used in the practical test.

For my last three tests I’ve used King and Sheppard and missed one question between all three tests. Sheppard doesn’t teach you the material but if you care about getting a high test score (I had a monetary incentive to get 100%) then it’s definitely helpful. 

1 hour ago, ilovecornfields said:

Is this true? When I took my commercial checkride the examiner said “you can use any source you want, even the internet.” I took my instrument checkride in the 90’s so I don’t remember what I used in the practical test.

That's what I understand and what a couple of DPE told me, that only FAR/AIM can be used.

9 minutes ago, redbaron1982 said:

That's what I understand and what a couple of DPE told me, that only FAR/AIM can be used.

This is almost certainly a case of misunderstood communication.

If you're being asked what a part 61 or part 91 regulation actually says, then sure, the appropriate reference is the actual published regulation.  No DPE is going to accept you getting on Mooneyspace and pointing to a thread where redbaron1982 explains IFR currency rules, for example.

If, on the other hand, you're being asked about atmospheric stability, or how an attitude gyro works, or any number of other things explicitly covered in the ACS which are not mentioned at all in the FAR/AIM; it would be absurd to say, "you can only use the FAR/AIM as a reference".

Obviously I haven't met every DPE, and the system is notorious for individual DPEs having personal policies that aren't backed by any actual FAA policy.  But I've met several, and none of them have this ridiculous policy that only the FAR/AIM can be used as a reference.

12 minutes ago, Vance Harral said:

This is almost certainly a case of misunderstood communication.

If you're being asked what a part 61 or part 91 regulation actually says, then sure, the appropriate reference is the actual published regulation.  No DPE is going to accept you getting on Mooneyspace and pointing to a thread where redbaron1982 explains IFR currency rules, for example.

If, on the other hand, you're being asked about atmospheric stability, or how an attitude gyro works, or any number of other things explicitly covered in the ACS which are not mentioned at all in the FAR/AIM; it would be absurd to say, "you can only use the FAR/AIM as a reference".

Obviously I haven't met every DPE, and the system is notorious for individual DPEs having personal policies that aren't backed by any actual FAA policy.  But I've met several, and none of them have this ridiculous policy that only the FAR/AIM can be used as a reference.

Yeah, probably is what you are saying. But for instance, anything relating to instrument approaches, clearances, etc., I think are covered and you're expected to use as reference the FAR/AIM.

As you said, a question about what type of engine your aircraft has, I think you would be ok if you refer to the POH and show the DPE that you know exactly which section of the POH you need to look that info in.