Next Airplane . . .

Seth

16 hours ago, PMcClure said:

I went through this exercise as well and ended up buying a B36 Bonanza. I think we all flew in it maybe 3 times. After 2 years, I added it up and 98% of flying time was less than 3 people and +80% was just me. Sold the Bo and bought the Ovation. Everyone complained, but I was happy and now It is just me and my wife at home and we fly to see the kids or parents. Of fly to vacations and let the kids take commercial :). I still toy with the idea of getting a single turbo prop, but the mooney is such a great traveling machine for 2 people. 

My experience mirrors PMcClure.  I have three kids and the wife insisted we needed a six seater. I bought into an A36TC partnership and really enjoyed the plane but we only flew as a family several times and the vast majority of time it was me and a few kids.  I would take out the 6th seat and it had plenty of room for bags but it was pushing useful load with 5 plus bags and fuel.  I had to move for my job forcing me to sell out of the partnership so I decided to just stick with a Mooney since it met my 98% mission requirements.  Truthfully we can fly commercial when we all need to go somewhere as a family and use the Mooney for trips where the mission fits.

Resized_20210411_095533.jpeg.a993468008a44791bac59c96a48853c4.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ilovecornfields said:

Father/son Time Machine is the perfect use for an airplane! We used to do that once a month before things got crazy but just starting up again. Planning a trip to Sedona right now.

I have fond memories of flying across the country with my dad in his Arrow (and not so fond memories of almost clipping the trees at Williams, AZ,  flying through a squall line and having a partial engine failure on departure in Lubbock, TX).

That sounds like fun. Well not Lubbock.

I honestly never anticipated how much fun a father-son machine the airplane would be.  One of my jokes with my son the fisherman - he grew up fly fishing around here - tying flies, going fishing like every day in the summer, etc.  He would look up some interesting river on a map and we would go fly there and fish - New Brunswick, Maine, UP Michigan etc.  We called it fly fishing.  I fly. He fishes.  Complimentary hobbies and together time

• Like 3

What a great plan! When my best friend was alive we used to fly MSP to KRAP to flyfish, and once down to the Bahamas. He is gone unfortunately, but it was so much fun the family wanted to put some of his ashes in that river in RAP, so that is where my friend is today, or part of him anyway. He gets to fish full time. A few years into the flying and fishing deal he said, "You shoulda bought a plane 20 years ago so we could have done this."  Every time we landed he said, "Snatched from the jaws of death one more time!," with a big grin on his face. Miss those days. Glad I bought the Mooney so we could enjoy some time together. 

• Like 5

On 2/8/2023 at 4:51 AM, carusoam said:

IO550…

300hp..

MT four blade…

Kind of a mechanical engineering dream…

Wondering what that proposed phone call could be about….

Things in the mind of a PP during the early hours…

:)

-a-

Just to catch up with Hank. That’s all!

-Seth

• Like 1

Don’t plan to have more kids. This birth was hard on my wife. Baby got stuck at the end and then needed to come out the window after 17 hours of labor. So she opened up and then had her abdomen cut. She couldn’t sleep in our bed for two months (thank goodness we have a power recliner/rocker). Not going to put her though that again, plus we lost two, and we’re done. We’re both past 40 now.

So family payload outside of potentially carrying guests like grandparents, friends, etc will be for family travel: Husband, Wife, two daughters, son, and Au Pair or help (if needed down the line, but very much so now) for special needs son. Yes he can walk and get in and out of airplane, but he does have long distance mobility issues (low muscle tone - formerly ankle braces/AFOs now orthotics).

I am not flying enough right now to justify single ownership - my business practices have changed with Covid and I’m flying for the airlines now, so I am getting plenty of flying in on a monthly basis. I do still want the ability to stay proficient in the six seater. 

I’m going to form a small group to own this aircraft. We have multiple clubs on the field with over 100 members between them, but no six seaters in those 10 or so airframes. Thus, I’m sure between them and others not part of the club I can find 2-4 other people who will want access to a six seater.

I also have access to late model SR22’s on my field at a dry rate, so is the six seater is being used by someone else or down for maintenance, I’ll have access to fly if it’s not six seats I’ll need.

With the sale of the Missile I’ll put the difference into an investment account (one of my two other businesses) and add to it over time for the purchase of the next bigger aircraft - the Cheyenne or Aerostar.

So it’s back to: 

Single: A36, Saratoga, or Cherokee 6 (if the members are averse to retract).

Twin: Baron B58 or Seneca III

Thanks again! The Missile will be up for sale by the end of the month. If anyone is interested in getting before it goes on the market please PM me.

Thank you for all the suggestions here and privately thus far! Keep them coming.

-Seth

15 hours ago, Seth said:

Don’t plan to have more kids. This birth was hard on my wife. Baby got stuck at the end and then needed to come out the window after 17 hours of labor. So she opened up and then had her abdomen cut. She couldn’t sleep in our bed for two months (thank goodness we have a power recliner/rocker). Not going to put her though that again, plus we lost two, and we’re done. We’re both past 40 now.

So family payload outside of potentially carrying guests like grandparents, friends, etc will be for family travel: Husband, Wife, two daughters, son, and Au Pair or help (if needed down the line, but very much so now) for special needs son. Yes he can walk and get in and out of airplane, but he does have long distance mobility issues (low muscle tone - formerly ankle braces/AFOs now orthotics).

I am not flying enough right now to justify single ownership - my business practices have changed with Covid and I’m flying for the airlines now, so I am getting plenty of flying in on a monthly basis. I do still want the ability to stay proficient in the six seater. 

I’m going to form a small group to own this aircraft. We have multiple clubs on the field with over 100 members between them, but no six seaters in those 10 or so airframes. Thus, I’m sure between them and others not part of the club I can find 2-4 other people who will want access to a six seater.

I also have access to late model SR22’s on my field at a dry rate, so is the six seater is being used by someone else or down for maintenance, I’ll have access to fly if it’s not six seats I’ll need.

With the sale of the Missile I’ll put the difference into an investment account (one of my two other businesses) and add to it over time for the purchase of the next bigger aircraft - the Cheyenne or Aerostar.

So it’s back to: 

Single: A36, Saratoga, or Cherokee 6 (if the members are averse to retract).

Twin: Baron B58 or Seneca III

Thanks again! The Missile will be up for sale by the end of the month. If anyone is interested in getting before it goes on the market please PM me.

Thank you for all the suggestions here and privately thus far! Keep them coming.

-Seth

If you are willing to consider the Cherokee 6, then it might be worth looking at the Lance.  They are generally more affordable than the Saratoga, but faster than the “6”.  A friend has one and it speeds along as well as my old Mooney, burning only a little more fuel, but has tons of room and UL and does quite well on range when LOP.  I certainly under-appreciated he type until he bought his and fixed it up.  Even has a stretcher option that makes for a useful bed when carrying family long distances.

30 years ago it was a skyhawk for me. 25 years ago it was an M20k that I’ll be selling soon. Three months ago it was an m20e with 2000 hrs ttaf. Two months ago it was a Seneca II that will also be sold one of these days… last month it was a C150 I got in Texas. This week it’s an Apache, and yesterday I think it was an Aztec. When is an Aerostar going to fall on my lap? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk