Welding shop needed for muffler

Guys,

We found a few cracked welds on my muffler and sent it out to Knisley for quotation.  I was less than delighted to get the quotation...... 1200 to 1800.  The crack is at the junction of the muffler box and inlet.  To weld it up the end cap needs to be removed.  To me, it seems like no big deal, especially for a muffler.  Dont these things "typically" cost around 1K brand new?  Rocket wants 3500 bucks for a new one.  I guess this is one of the downsides of owning an aircraft with a major STC......

I know I can't just take it to any welding shop for repair and need to send it to an approved welder.  Any help would be appreciated.

Pics...

post-4095-13468140829872_thumb.jpg

post-4095-13468140830184_thumb.jpg

Quote: Cris

I know I can't just take it to any welding shop for repair and need to send it to an approved welder.  Any help would be appreciated.

Why not? It's just welding. So long as your A&P signs it off. That's what I've done in the past. 

I bought a new Knisley muffler for my regular J a couple years ago for ~$500.  Unfortunately I don't remember the source, but it was a shop on the east coast... perhaps one of the Carolinas.  I can't imagine it being much different from the Missile muffler, but perhaps it is a unique one.

Knisley wanted 1800.  Rocket (doesn't even make the part) wants 3500 for a new one.  Piloto's shop said to send it down, they will yellow tag it with a fresh overhaul for 750.  No B.S.  When people give me a range of 1000 bucks it tells me 1 of 2 things are happening, they are trying to get into my pocket OR they don't know how to quote a job.  It's a muffler.....stainless steel and welding rod, definately NOT brain surgery.  Dawley was very responsive but again, 200 bucks to 1700.