Autopilot Upgrade Options

I am in the process of conducting a pre-buy on a 1999 Screaming Eagle that has a G500/750/650 configuration along with an Stec55x.  I would like to upgrade to get altitude pre-select and possibly other things so I thought I would reach out to the board for suggestions.  

33 minutes ago, GaryP1007 said:

I am in the process of conducting a pre-buy on a 1999 Screaming Eagle that has a G500/750/650 configuration along with an Stec55x.  I would like to upgrade to get altitude pre-select and possibly other things so I thought I would reach out to the board for suggestions.  

If your 55x doesn’t have pre-select it shouldn’t be too hard to add it. Post a picture of your panel please.

https://genesys-aerosystems.com/sites/default/files/files/GenesysAerosystems_ST-360_DataSheet(2).pdf

People pull out the STEC-55X and I’ve seen the ST-360 controllers on EBay for $100. There will be wiring, etc if you don’t have it. Does your panel have one of these?

image.thumb.png.e77a35f0168874f3c308df963af9e9c8.png

16 minutes ago, LANCECASPER said:

If your 55x doesn’t have pre-select it shouldn’t be too hard to add it. Post a picture of your panel please.

https://genesys-aerosystems.com/sites/default/files/files/GenesysAerosystems_ST-360_DataSheet(2).pdf

People pull out the STEC-55X and I’ve seen the ST-360 controllers on EBay for $100. There will be wiring, etc if you don’t have it. Does your panel have one of these?

image.thumb.png.e77a35f0168874f3c308df963af9e9c8.png

posted below

14 minutes ago, GaryP1007 said:

heres the panel

mooneypanel.jpg

That’s a loaded Eagle with Air Conditioning, G500, SAM backup, 750/650, MVP-50, etc

If you want to spend more money and get more integration, the GFC500 autopilot would be the nicest way to go and would be more precise that the STEC 55X. You could also get rid of the turn coordinator since that supplies the STEC-55X with rate info. But you could add pre-select to the 55X maybe even through your G500 and perhaps you wouldn’t need the ST-360. You may already have it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, GaryP1007 said:

This is Jimmy's listing at GMax.  Two great choices would either be an upgrade of the STEC55X to an STEC 3100 digital autopilot, but STEC doesn't have any Mooneys currently listed as being approved to upgrade to the 3100.  Your next-best choice would be the GFC500...hands-down an exceptional choice.

33 minutes ago, StevenL757 said:

This is Jimmy's listing at GMax.  Two great choices would either be an upgrade of the STEC55X to an STEC 3100 digital autopilot, but STEC doesn't have any Mooneys currently listed as being approved to upgrade to the 3100.  Your next-best choice would be the GFC500...hands-down an exceptional choice.

They told Mooney owners they needed a certain amount of purchase orders to get the 3100 approval rolling (10 or 15 I think). But there wasn't enough support.

• Like 3

STec the company lacked the vision to understand the Long term Mooney owner’s needs… Forever planes live under different financial rules…

Very few use purchase orders… :)

There were plenty of willing buyers of new digital APs…

… and they all went to the Garmin GFC500.

A whole lot more than the 10 - 15 POs being demanded to enable the sales…

Fortunately… with an all Garmin panel… it makes great sense to have a Garmin AP… it communicates with so many devices in the panel…

And does away with the mechanical TC…. TCs make horrible back up instruments… anyhow….

One MSer really wanted a new STec… no matter how hard he tried to find a way…. STec the company couldn’t come off the goofy send me a dozen POs answer…

There are no perfect avionics companies… but STec won a special prize during that campaign… a quirky memorable one… :)

Prior to that debacle… the cost of buying a pre-flown STec includes buying the STC again…  some people learn this detail after they buy the used AP…

PP thoughts only, not an avionics guru…

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 3

1 hour ago, LANCECASPER said:

They told Mooney owners they needed a certain amount of purchase orders to get the 3100 approval rolling (10 or 15 I think). But there wasn't enough support.

True.  I think the Genesys rep was trying to garner support for this back during the 2018 Caravan, if I remember correctly.

GFC500 is the best solution imop. This is an excellent panel and with the addition of the GFC500 it would be even better and the best overall solution. You can always go cheaper and many of us here do.  It’s like the products you see that say “good,” “Better,” and “best.” The best simply cost more but the best is better. This is my opinion for what it’s worth. :)

• Like 4

I am going to +1 on the GFC500. I currently have that autopilot and some other Garmin goodies on order for upgrading my panel at the next annual. I flew a couple of approaches with the GFC500. The precision of the approaches, including procedure turns, were AMAZING and it is quite affordable. Perhaps 10 AMUs installed.

On 4/2/2022 at 10:58 PM, hubcap said:

I am going to +1 on the GFC500. I currently have that autopilot and some other Garmin goodies on order for upgrading my panel at the next annual. I flew a couple of approaches with the GFC500. The precision of the approaches, including procedure turns, were AMAZING and it is quite affordable. Perhaps 10 AMUs installed.

Huh? 10K installed? You better check again. I will depend on whether you already have a G5 in your panel, but try double that amount.

On 4/2/2022 at 9:01 PM, LANCECASPER said:

Huh? 10K installed? You better check again. I will depend on whether you already have a G5 in your panel, but try double that amount.

Got a quote of $20K installed.  Thanks for the input.

On 4/2/2022 at 11:01 PM, LANCECASPER said:

My quote is ~$15k

Edited by hubcap
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, aviatoreb said:

What does that include?

GMC 507, FAA-PMA GMC 507, FAA-PMA 1@ 2,995.00                                                    $2,995.00
GSA 28, FAA-PMA -21 (1per axis)
Servo motor 3 @ 1,699.00                                                                                                 $5,097.00
Kit, Install, GFC 500, 2 Servo, Mooney M20 Series                                                             $2,290.00

Kit, Install, GFC 500, Pitch-trim, Mooney M20, Med Body 1@995.00                                  $995.00

+ ~$5,000 for labor

3 hours ago, hubcap said:

GMC 507, FAA-PMA GMC 507, FAA-PMA 1@ 2,995.00                                                    $2,995.00
GSA 28, FAA-PMA -21 (1per axis)
Servo motor 3 @ 1,699.00                                                                                                 $5,097.00
Kit, Install, GFC 500, 2 Servo, Mooney M20 Series                                                             $2,290.00

Kit, Install, GFC 500, Pitch-trim, Mooney M20, Med Body 1@995.00                                  $995.00

+ ~$5,000 for labor

Nice - where is that being done?  What shop?
E