M20C modifications + paint and interior

• 2 months later...

I am writing with a heavy heart to inform this community that my father "rgaines" died July 22, 2010.  He was a kind and giving man who loved to fly, a joy he instilled in me.  I am glad he was able to finish this huge project and fly his renovated Mooney several times before his death.  His online obituary can be viewed at http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/kansascity/obituary.aspx?n=robert-d-gaines&pid=144255954 and I may be reached at againes@uchicago.edu to answer any questions.  

Thank you all for the role you played in my father's life.  

I am so sorry for yours and your family's loss. He truley seemed to love his plane and his flying. I'm so glad he got to see the project through and reap the rewards of his labor of love. Now he gets to do what all Mooniacs will eventually do, tell Al Mooney in person how much they enjoyed his design number 20.

I am saddened by the loss of someone I never met, but got the thrill of watching his project unfold.

Wow, what a supportive and warm community.  My mother and I greatly appreciate your comments and condolences.  

My dad had started flying me to Oshkosh these last few years and I learned how wonderful airplane folks could be.  Perhaps I'll get a chance to meet some of you at an air show in the future.   

Thank you again,

Ariel

So very sorry to learn of your loss.  He will be missed not only by your family, but by the Mooney family as well.  While I never met him, I have read his posts and watched his project (after the fact) on MooneySpace.  His love for flying, and for his Mooney  was evident.....we mourn the loss of a kindred spirit.

To the Gaines family, my sincerest condolences on the loss of your father and husband. 

While I was stationed at Fort Leavenworth, we had corresponded a few times and planned to meet at Kansas City Downtown airport before I left for Saudi Arabia back in July to talk about everything Mooney.  I guess if I've learned anything it's that life is short and don't let busy schedules get in your way.  I will forever regret not meeting him in person as he was very gracious in helping me.  My family's prayers are with you during this tough time.

Brian 

Ok, here is my debate.    My paint is original (68), and I just had some mods done at annual in May. The mods only got primered. The plane looks ok but is starting to look not so good with all the primer. Also, the interior is in fairly descent shape. The question is .. what to do first? Paint or interior? I have some $$$ save that would cover the cost of one but not both. 1 major upgrade a year for me. I think new paint would be the preffered first because that is what most folks see when you arrive or depart.  Also being a 68, I am thinking about keeping the original scheme and color. (Got to keep the woman happy!!)

Any thought on this?

Thanks

Ariel and family, I too am very saddened to learn about Robert's passing!  Hopefully he went with a smile on his face and happiness in his heart from a life well-lived!  My dad had a '65 C model when I was growing up, and that is where my flying infection started...and I was very fortunate to be able to take him to OSH this year for his first visit.  I'm glad your dad got to share some of his passion with you too.

• 1 month later...

Thank you all again for your comments of support.  I thought I would share some images from the memorial flight I took in my dad's plane.  Although I shared his love for flying, I never got my pilot's license, and his former flight instructor, Pete Rouse was kind enough to spend a Sunday flying with my aunt and me.  He's an outstanding human being and a great flight instructor. 

@DaV8or I will look forward to that!

@201pilot Thank you kindly.

@flight2000 I know.  I have definitely been learning about the unpredictability of life.  I am glad you two had correspondence while he was alive. 

@KS Mooniac He was a happy man indeed.  No suffering, and successful in every area of his life--most of all he had a kind and loving heart.  

post-3389-13468138759365_thumb.jpg

post-3389-1346813875981_thumb.jpg

post-3389-13468138760218_thumb.jpg