fuel leak

231LV

My mechanic just informed me that my left fuel tank has started a small leak. Go figure right after I had it painted! Ten plus years ago, I flew the plane to Wilmar in MN and had  a full strip and reseal on both tanks. At the time, that was the easy decision since the tanks were leaking pretty good. Even then, there didn't seem to be very many good solutions for patches. I believe Wilmar is no longer in business and even if they were, I highly doubt the warranty would extend out this far. Does anybody have any thoughts regarding sealing fuel leaks these days?

Mechanic should have sent you a pic. 

1 hour ago, 231LV said:

My mechanic just informed me that my left fuel tank has started a small leak. 

Was he any more specific? Maybe a pic. You didn’t notice any leaks, so is a seep? Dripping on floor?  Your SM does go thru procedure to isolate source AND repair. 

1 hour ago, 231LV said:

My mechanic just informed me that my left fuel tank has started a small leak. Go figure right after I had it painted! Ten plus years ago, I flew the plane to Wilmar in MN and had  a full strip and reseal on both tanks. At the time, that was the easy decision since the tanks were leaking pretty good. Even then, there didn't seem to be very many good solutions for patches. I believe Wilmar is no longer in business and even if they were, I highly doubt the warranty would extend out this far. Does anybody have any thoughts regarding sealing fuel leaks these days?

As @Niko182 pointed out, Wilmar is now Weep No More LLC.  Website is Weep No More (weepnomorellc.com)

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, KB4 said:

Mechanic should have sent you a pic. 

Was he any more specific? Maybe a pic. You didn’t notice any leaks, so is a seep? Dripping on floor?  Your SM does go thru procedure to isolate source AND repair. 

He said it is a weep...not dripping on the floor. It follows the seam and I haven't noticed it

Should be able to isolate it and repair.  I think Weep no more and Wetwingologists are both 7 year warranties.  10 Years should still be a relatively solid reseal if you have kept full tanks over the years and you park in a hanger. If so maybe a one off repair. My Mooney hanger neighbor is going on 20 years since his Wetwingologists reseal. If you haven’t stayed full and park outside it might be a sign of things to come.

55 minutes ago, anthonydesmet said:

Should be able to isolate it and repair.  I think Weep no more and Wetwingologists are both 7 year warranties.  10 Years should still be a relatively solid reseal if you have kept full tanks over the years and you park in a hanger. If so maybe a one off repair. My Mooney hanger neighbor is going on 20 years since his Wetwingologists reseal. If you haven’t stayed full and park outside it might be a sign of things to come.

nope...generally keep tanks filled and always hangared.....

• Like 1

Might, maybe, be time for a repair.   Mine has had a small, weepy leak since not long after I've owned it, but just filling it to a spot on the tab where I know it won't seep works for me.   It's only down about three gallons from full at that point.   I'll fill it full if I'm on a fuel stop and about to run it down, anyway.   Otherwise the only issue is that it'll make a little runny stain on the bottom of the wing.

So I'd suggest just wait and see what's really up.   Even if it is more of an issue, a patch repair may take care of it, or if it isn't too bad just live with it until you think it's bad enough to have the repair done.

There was a guy in St George (iirc, may have been Colorado City) that was offering repairs, and Maxwells used to do them for a fixed fee, so there are places that will do it.    If mine gets much worse I'll probably try it myself if I get motivated enough.

The good news…

Paul Beck did a really good re-sealing of tanks…

He defined the stripping process…

He used modern materials…

He knew what he was doing when sealing the tanks…

Chances are… you probably have to find the spot where the weeping is… could be a simple repair… like at a rivet

See if you can get a pic of the evidence…

PP thoughts only…

Best regards,

-a-