STATE TAX aircraft

17 minutes ago, Mike A said:

Tennessee is awesome, but heads up they expect to collect their 10% sales tax regardless of how long ago or where you lived when you purchased the plane.  They do give you credit for tax paid, but that was still a extra AMU that we didn't account for.  And you need to have proof of tax paid or you're on the hook for the full 10%.

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/revenue/documents/taxguides/salesanduse.pdf

Yeah, I saw that in my research. It won't take long to make up the difference between MO luxury taxes and TN lack there of. I like a lot of things about Missouri, but paying the state every year just because I have nice things isn't one of them. Hell, they aren't even that nice! Well, maybe the Mooney is... Thanks for the head's up Mike.

Cheers,
Rick

No provincial or federal licensing fee for my airplane in Ontario, but 13% sales tax on everything for it, down to 8% sales on the insurance premium.  It seems that very government has its way of getting their hand in your pocket.

Clarence

6 hours ago, Ragsf15e said:

Ouch.  Glad I don’t live there anymore.  Really like to visit though!

Be careful with that Kalifornia visit...you may well get a tax bill from our corrupt state:(

Then, YOU get to prove you don't have to pay it!

32 minutes ago, DonMuncy said:

I'm glad I live in Texas.

+1.... pretty lucky, just paid $657.00 for our land lease and property tax on the hangar, and I'll get half that back this Friday when I have lunch with my partner. 

13 hours ago, MikeOH said:

Be careful with that Kalifornia visit...you may well get a tax bill from our corrupt state:(

Then, YOU get to prove you don't have to pay it!

Certainly if you visit over New Years you're guaranteed to get a tax bill. Been there done that. One year I got a tax bill for 3 counties.

BTW: My son's name is Michael, lives here in California but went to Ohio State so I guess he's a "MikeOH" as well :)

-Robert