231 turbo inspection cover pops open

pwnel

On my 231 I've now twice found the inspection door next to the turbo open after landing.  I'm really perplexed by this as the latch is tight and impossible to simply open on the ground.  Anyone experienced this?   The oil door operates in the same way with the same latch if that helps. 

Pwnel,

Got a couple of pics?

Both open and closed, and the latches...

Typically, The latches used are pretty strong and can withstand a lot of air pressure...

The concern being, if something has changed in the area, to allow this to happen...

Want to get on that fast... change is bad... :)

PP thoughts only, not a turbo owner or pilot...

Best regards,

-a-

8 hours ago, carusoam said:

Pwnel,

Got a couple of pics?

Both open and closed, and the latches...

Typically, The latches used are pretty strong and can withstand a lot of air pressure...

The concern being, if something has changed in the area, to allow this to happen...

Want to get on that fast... change is bad... :)

PP thoughts only, not a turbo owner or pilot...

Best regards,

-a-

Yip, change is bad ... hence it has my attention.  Happened twice now.   Engine runs like a dream though - nothing out of the ordinary.  I do run very very lean on the ground, so there's some vibration but can't think that this can cause it to pop open.  I inspected that latch and it's solid.  You need to depress the button a substantial way before it opens.  Will inspect thoroughly next week for any heat issues from the turbo perhaps - perhaps fly with a GoPro attached and see what/when it happens.

some latch doors have a "thickener" where the latch engages the non door part of the cowl.   Many times that thickener has disappeared.   The thickener looks or seems about the same as a piece of cabinet Formica like you would find on a kitchen counter top from the 1970s.

On 9/24/2019 at 10:29 AM, Yetti said:

some latch doors have a "thickener" where the latch engages the non door part of the cowl.   Many times that thickener has disappeared.   The thickener looks or seems about the same as a piece of cabinet Formica like you would find on a kitchen counter top from the 1970s.

Thanks, I didn't spot anything wrong but will compare it to the oil latch this weekend.  Something clearly changed.