flight simulator for Mooney M203 with a Garmin 530

Anyone out there use a flight simulator to help get proficient with instrument flight. I have passed my written and getting time in my E model.  I am wanting to get more practice in so I can take may test in January. I am about 10 hrs. into training in my plane. I have about 420 hrs total time. I would like to use my laptop. it has 3gigs usable  ram and 1.8 gig processor. I have a garmin 530 gps installed

You need to check out the RealSimGear website.  They make realistic gps simulator hardware, which when coupled with X Plane can have you doing all the practice approaches at home on a realistic 530.  For additional realism, try Pilot Edge for live ATC with real controllers.  The combination is quite realistic and immersive.  You can get a good Mooney model for the simulator for the Mooney from the X-Plane.org website.  Have fun!!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, elimansour said:

You need to check out the RealSimGear website.  They make realistic gps simulator hardware, which when coupled with X Plane can have you doing all the practice approaches at home on a realistic 530.  For additional realism, try Pilot Edge for live ATC with real controllers.  The combination is quite realistic and immersive.  You can get a good Mooney model for the simulator for the Mooney from the X-Plane.org website.  Have fun!!

Thank you for the reply. I will check these out.   

If you are stuck in the CB category...

The MSFS is a great way to practice all the cognitive skills involved with IFR flight...

A great way to review all the steps involved including plate review...

The Bravo comes in two versions... classic panel complete with BK and a G1000 that may not be WAAS capable(?).

The flight dynamics are close, but pretty far from real... you won’t get the expected nose down, trim required, while setting flaps...

So... not very good at simulating actual flight in a Mooney... but great for practicing all things related to IFR flight in a Mooney.

PP thoughts only, I used MSFS to supplement my IFR Training. Before and after actual flight training... set the clouds near the ground, bump the cross winds up when ready... :)

A lot of simulated IFR training is done using X-Plane based simulators and C172s... get used to flying a sim (any simulator will work)  before paying by the hour....

MSFS can be downloaded through a service called Steam... probably costs less than dinner did...

Best regards,

-a-