Standing Ovation

Bob_Belville

The January 2018 AOPA Pilot arrived this morning. The Cover photo is titled "Standing Ovation". "Climbing Back" Still lighting fast -- with creature comforts. The 8 page article includes 10 pics, which seem to have been taken around the Tampa AOPA Fly-In that @mooneygirl, Nancy and I attended as Mooney Ambassadors.

This after Flying and Plane & Pilot cover stories in December(?). 

Kudos the MI marketing folks. 

• Like 4

I've noticed that the editorial staff for these three magazines (and let's add EAA Sport Pilot) seem to follow the same developments. This is the second or third time this year that within months they had all done cover stories for plane launches. This year I remember the Carbon Cub as one of them, and I think the ICON was another.  I guess they are all happy to report when new plane models are introduced.  Either way, I like the publicity for Mooney!  Aside from the avionics and a second door, any of our Ovation3s are still holding their own compared to current models.

• Like 1

when I was in the motorcycle industry, getting magazine cover exposure was a simple function of how much free stuff you send to editors.

We would send thousands of dollars of free product and even produce custom made leather racing suits, gloves, boots, etc....  It was a great deal because a few thousand dollars of product would yield exposure that was worth between $30k-100k easily.  We would get covers and all kinds of product review articles this way..    The editorial staff are usually separate from the advertising department.

I imagine this is similar, but not free planes etc obviously...  But, maybe it's like, 'we will bring an acclaim or ovation to you and let you fly it for as much as you want for a month and here is a credit card for the fuel...'    

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bob_Belville said:

The January 2018 AOPA Pilot arrived this morning. The Cover photo is titled "Standing Ovation". "Climbing Back" Still lighting fast -- with creature comforts. The 8 page article includes 10 pics, which seem to have been taken around the Tampa AOPA Fly-In that @mooneygirl, Nancy and I attended as Mooney Ambassadors.

Kudos the MI marketing folks. 

It is great to see Mooney getting so much press. The Ultra is a wonderful platform. For those of us vintage owners, we know the quality upon which the later designs were borne.  Let's hope that 2018 is a positive year for our brand and most importantly our workers in the factory in Kerrville.

• Like 3

One day, way out in the future...

Mooney will build a...

• Faster
  • More powerful
  • More efficient 
  • Safer
  • More user friendly

...model of the venerable M20 airframe.

The O4 has some of that...

• Fancy panel w/ updated autopilot skills
  • More composites
  • extra door

When do they add the option....

• electronic ignition
  • Flight planning app to aid the calculation of mission critical stuff.
  • parachute
  • Composite prop
  • Turbine
  • Other?

I like the stuff they work out that can be backwards integrated into the older airframes...  :)

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, carusoam said:

One day, way out in the future...

Mooney will build a...

• Faster
  • More powerful
  • More efficient 
  • Safer
  • More user friendly

...model of the venerable M20 airframe.

The O4 has some of that...

• Fancy panel w/ updated autopilot skills
  • More composites
  • extra door

When do they add the option....

• electronic ignition
  • Flight planning app to aid the calculation of mission critical stuff.
  • parachute
  • Composite prop
  • Turbine
  • Other?

I like the stuff they work out that can be backwards integrated into the older airframes...  :)

Go Mooney!

Best regards,

-a-

for safer and faster.... I figure a parachute and a (very small) turbine engine (for reliability) and of course an autopilot with full envelope protection (ESP).

• Like 1

Looking at stuff in the way back...

My WnB is looking to have the weight of some safety device added back there.

I have lots of Charley weight and a spare vac system that isn't going to be very helpful long term...

The future is looking brighter...

Best regards,

-a-

I like the line on the inside cover of Mooney's ad, "We are hand-crafting new Acclaim Ultras and Ovation Ultras today, and you can take delivery of your dream machine this year. So, if not now, when?"

Mooney, if you are listening, buy yourselves a hand crafted sports car like a Lamborghini and paint it to contrast with the new Mooneys for demos and static displays. 

I never thought of our planes as being hand crafted in the same vein as an Italian Sports Car until reading this ad. Pretty cool!:)

Mooney really seems to be defining themselves better.  

IMG_4992.JPG

20 hours ago, Bob_Belville said:

Kudos the MI marketinhg folks. 

I spent yesterday morning with Lance Phillips and Jeff Magnus. They really do have their heads screwed on right. AOPA's article erroneously named Lance as CEO, but otherwise was very accurate. I saw 2 M20U's near completion and 2 M20V's along with the M10. Cirrus is now focusing on it's jet and leaving the door open for market capture. Mooney knows this and has a plan.

• Like 4