Mooney Logo Chronology

flight2000

Does anyone know the timeframe each of the below logo's was used by Mooney.  My research hasn't turned up a whole lot of information.  I know my bird was delivered with the first black and gold logo on the baggage door in 1967. I think it was on the tail as well.

Also, are there any other logo's that were used besides the three shown below?

Thanks,

Brian

post-401-13468139326915_thumb.gif

post-401-13468139328231_thumb.gif

post-401-1346813932841_thumb.jpg

I understand there was a fourth version, in between the middle and third ones.  It was the same as the modern version, but with gold trim rather than silver.  That's what they said at AeroComfort, anyway, when I had them embroider my yokes (and that's what I had done, as I think it looks nicer on the black leather).

I had the one Sven posted on my baggage door before I repainted the aircraft last year.  I have the newer mooney logo on my tail now. Those decals are expensive....

With all the votes for favorites I should have started a poll... Tongue out

So does anyone now when each logo was adopted?  Looks like the first one was around from the beginning.  The Phoenix started in the mid 70's and the new Logo in the 2000's?? 

Thanks,

Brian

post-401-13468139332261_thumb.jpg

Quote: airfoill

My favorite has always been the center black eagle shown from the first 3.  They should never have changed it.

I have never liked the modern version because it looks like a bloated, overweight chicken.

Is it supposed to be an eagle, or a thunderbird? (Southwest influence?)  Hmmm ... is a Phoenix the same as a Thunderbird?  Now I'm really confused.  Just curious...

Interesting question! It seems many people (including me) think it’s the same thing but research on Wiki tells me different:

A phoenix is a mythical bird that is a fire spirit with a colorful plumage and a tail of gold and scarlet (or purple, blue, and green according to some legends). It has a 500 to 1000 year life-cycle, near the end of which it builds itself a nest of twigs that then ignites; both nest and bird burn fiercely and are reduced to ashes, from which a new, young phoenix or phoenix egg arises, reborn anew to live again. The new phoenix is destined to live as long as its old self. In some stories, the new phoenix embalms the ashes of its old self in an egg made of myrrh and deposits it in the Egyptian city of Heliopolis (literally "sun-city" in Greek). It is said that the bird's cry is that of a beautiful song. The Phoenix's ability to be reborn from its own ashes implies that it is immortal, though in some stories the new Phoenix is merely the offspring of the older one. In very few stories they are able to change into people.

The Thunderbird is a legendary creature in certain North American indigenous peoples' history and culture. It's considered a "supernatural" bird of power and strength. It is especially important, and richly depicted, in the art, songs and oral histories of many Pacific Northwest Coast cultures, and is found in various forms among the peoples of the American Southwest and Great Plains. Thunderbirds were major components of the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex of American prehistory.

Regards,

Igor

‘67F

Several years ago, I was interviewing a graphics art designer, and in his portfolio was the original Mooney logo.  He claimed it was his design.  I was in awe!  Can't remember his name... wish I had asked him this question.

Are there any old-time vintage Mooney folks out there that know if the logo was a Phoenix or a Thunderbird?  Over the years, I always heard people referring to it as a Thunderbird.   If it is in fact supposed to be a Phoenix, I will have to add this to the very long list of things I have had wrong for a very long time.  That darn list just keeps getting longer...

Thanks!  I need to make a fresh topic with some better pics in the sunshine, just to give others the idea to think about alternates to a decal.  The artist was able to do the work in my hangar over a few evenings so I could watch during the process and advise him of various details I was looking for, and it turned out pretty much as great as I had envisioned.

He also painted a slanted "201" on each wingtip.  (I have the blunt wingtips)  I preferred that over any other markings on the fuselage to maintain a clean/sleek scheme.