66 M20C Opinions

Chris,

I was in the same predicament, but decided to just do the avionics upgrade and stay with my E.  My kids are small and we fit comfortably in the airplane.  If and when I decide to upgrade, it'll be to a Baron.  I just really like the load hauling capability they offer.  Please no twin versus single arguments, I'm already aware and understand the risks... blah, blah, blah...Laughing

I've seen C models with Aspens and G430W in them, so they have been done before.  The advantage is you know your aircraft and it's current condition.  If you upgrade, your starting from scratch with a new sqwuak sheet.  Something else to think about.  It's a tough decision, BTDT...

I love my C! The 430WAAS and both Brittain units are great. I've got the Accu-Trak and Accu-Flight, which is hooked to the 430. All I have to do is manage the altitude. It's hard to argue against the speed, efficiency and simplicity of our planes. If you have the need or burning desire to go faster, then upgrade wisely. More back seat room would be nice, but I don't need it very often, so I'm content with what I have. With almost 1000 lbs. useful load, it's much more common to fill up the space before maxing out the weight.

I also love my C.  Used to have a J.  Also used to have a BE58TC.  I love to go fast, and have lots of room.  As has been stated here, you can go faster, but at a price.  And that price increase tends to be very non-linear.  You can easily pay double the price of a C in the airplane world, and unless you buy something pretty unusual, you will not even come close to doubling your speed.  And your operation costs will go up too.  For where I am at with my needs and mission, the C is just about perfect for me.  I could also be just as happy with an E, F, or J, but a heck of a deal fell in my lap with a C.  No complaints or regrets on taking the C home.  It is an amazing combination that provides incredible performance in an efficient manner that would be hard to improve on at the same price.

Hi again

This thread has definitely triggered some reflection on my Mooney needs. My E is really close to everything I would want. Engine time 600 hrs 3 blade prop 395 hrs last two annuals under 1500 MU'S . 830 JPI engine monitor, Lasar Electronic ignition, relatively 2 year old exhaust system, Tanis heaters, new 406 ELT, new sun visors, new shoulder seat belts, 201 windshield mod wing root fairing mod, new alternator, new audio panel with built in MPS player Garmin GNC 250 gps.com new Mooney design leather interior. The plane is very solid to fly and I fly it at 9.2 gal perhour and avg 140 kts. More bells and whistles would be nice such as a stec 30 and a Garmin 430 but my dilemma is the expense does not make economic sense.

I generally fly most of the time by myself ad only about 30 % of the time with one passenger. 

But, but but..... as they say a 201 beckons so I am on the hunt for one in Canada which is a challenge as there are not many 201's up here.

post-593-13468139365202_thumb.jpg

If the plane your looking at has a high time engine, but otherwise is in good shape I would not let that be a showstopper, as long as it is priced accordingly.  If you have the engine rebuilt yourself you know what went into it and you control if it is a true overhaul or just a patch job.  Also many mid time engines need a cylinder overhaul to make it to TBO  When we were looking for our Mooney  it seemed like everyone we looked at had the cylinders worked on somewhere around 1200-1400 hrs.  We decided to buy one with a run out engine and have it overhauled ourselves so we would know the job was done correctly and not have to take someone elses word for it.  An overhaul doesn't have to cost 20K.

I love my C model. With it, I can afford to be an aircraft owner with reasonable speed/performance compared to other 180 HP, and keep costs within my budget. Moving up to a J or K would be affordable, but would limit money for other fun stuff.

Quote: JimR

I grew up with a C model and for the past several years have owned an early J model which I love dearly and never plan to sell.  Everyone knows that the J, thanks to it's improved aerodynamics and ability to run LOP, can be flown more efficiently than can a C.  What has surprised me, though, has been the amount of maintenance that I've had to do to my J on systems that the C doesn't even have.  Just off the top of my head, gear actuator no back clutch spring, inner gear doors, flap limit switches, fuel injection servos, flow dividers, and injectors, and fiberglass fairings.  All of these systems (and probably others) have required maintenance on my J and don't even exist on early C models.  Although the performance and aesthetic advantages of the J make it worth it to me, the maintenance cost delta between the C and the J are more than I had anticipated.  If I had a good C model I'd darn sure keep it and resist the temptation to modify it or trade up. 

Have those of you who have owned both a vintage Mooney and a more modern Mooney had similar experiences, or are mine unique?     

Jim

If I was living in the US or owning an N-Registered plane I'd put speed mods and possibly the -E upgrade with the O395 engine on my -C model, but as I am not, I just had my engine overhaul and am now 20 hours into the "new" engine. I am toying of getting both the LASAR cowlmod (any experiences on a C anyone?) and possibly the Monroy tanks as it would get me the 700 NM range I'd need but just don't have now. I could easily imagine to even go for the full upgrade to a 201 style cowl and windscreen eventually.

Other than that, upgrading to AP and possibly an Aspen are the foremost projects these days. For longer flights, being without an autopilot is very cumbersome and the Aspen would make the European reqirement for a slaved HSI for IFR ops kind of affordable. (European IFR requirements are very different and at least 2ce as expensive than getting US IFR. Same goes for the license).

I am not tempted at all to upgrade to a "J" let alone the Turbo models for sheer cost. With European prices, a "C" allows me to go into that cathegory at all, otherwise I'd be in the Cherokee 140-180 cathegory, whose maintenance is slightly cheaper.

The C as far as I can tell is about as economic as it gets, particularly if some of the Lo Presti mods can be implemented. But that is the "American Dream" as in Europe, modifying one's airplane is next to impossible due to the overwhelming bureaucracy and certification costs.

post-2353-13468139366123_thumb.jpg