New Windows finished today!

N601RX

We finished up with our new side windows today.  They turned out very well.  This is a 2 person job.  A good tape job makes the cleanup very easy.  We found it works best to tape and glue them one day and then wait about 24 hours to remove the tape and glue.  At this point the glue is still soft and comes off easy, but has dried enough that is not still tacky and stringy.  After much debate we used the 2 part glue that Mooney recommends.  It is not as messy as some people have made it out to be.  We already had the work table and it made a good work platform and protected the wing skin.

We did not realize how bad the old windows were until we got the new ones in.  I was a little worried about drilling and countersinking windows, but ordered some special bits and did not have any problems.  It was probably took about 12 hours total.

post-3175-13468139141037_thumb.jpg

post-3175-13468139142423_thumb.jpg

They look great!  I did mine a little over a year ago when the new paint was done and was very nervous of the grey tint making things look darker, but if it did, it's really not noticeable and I'm still loving it.  I didn't have the skill to do it myself, but yours look great in the photos.

I went with clear all around because, well, I highly value the view outside. Its one of the reasons I like to fly, and never did like the distortion from the stock green plexi. So far, there have been no heat issues, but then I finished the project this past fall and haven't been in hot weather since.

I was a little worried about the tinted being to dark, but the tint is very light.  With the plane in the hanger they almost appear clear.  Out in the sun you can tell they have a light tint.

The new side windows makes the front window look bad!