boycott flightprep

JoeB

There is an interesting podcast on AvWeb - http://www.avweb.com/podcast/podcast/AudioPodcast_LionelLavenue_FlightPrepFlightPlanning_PatentLaw_203826-1.html?kw=AVwebAudio that explains some of the issues.

I have heard from a reliable source that part of the problem is that the owner of FlightPrep is the chap who originally wrote what is now Jepp FlightStar, and for a full time job is an Attorney.

I don't like it any more than anyone else here, but think some caution is advised

Ben

It is really ashame that flightprep was able to get a patent on this. They may have a claim I guess well i dont know since im not a patent attorney but should they really be using their presumed legal rights when most these sites are doing it as hobby or to make a few extra bucks and hey maybe even doing it to contribute safety to the general aviaiton community and not trying to be a major player to flightprep? If they were smart they would have tried to find a way to tie their so called creation to these beneficial sites and get good recognition rather then threatening them until they took their sites down. when it comes to the web it really is better to catch bees with honey. with the advent of moving maps and digital charts in makes complete sense to do flight planning online since alot of people dont have paper charts anymore so does flightprep think we should only go to them for flight planning? imsure they have a good product but i will never know now i guess. so with that said even if they are right which is shameful, I will not support flightprep by buying their product. maybe after they go out of business and cant afford to sue then general aviaiton can get back to normal. flight prep if you read this take this as another $149.00 you lost!!

Doh!  And I just paid for the one year ForeFlight subscription yesterday!  Guess I should have signed for the 3 month subscription to see how this turns out.  I hope they are not affected.  I understand the obligation to protect intellectual property, but when it is as loose as on-line flight planning (like the online banking analogy mentioned earlier), that's ridiculous.

I certainly don't think it's a coincidence.... Tongue out

Dave Parsons mentioned in his blog that several aviation companies have donated to the cause, but won't list them because of confidentiality and to help protect them from the FP public affairs machine that is in overdrive right now.

Brian

This from the ForeFlight blog:

A Statement About Our Friend, RunwayFinder

Posted on December 16, 2010 by foreflight

It is with great sadness that we watch the RunwayFinder.com web site go offline. The aviation community has lost a helpful resource. Dave Parsons is a true innovator.

RunwayFinder is and has been a valued supplier to ForeFlight. Given our business relationship, some customers have inquired as to whether or not the current matters will affect ForeFlight’s ability to deliver updated charts to ForeFlight HD customers. The answer is simple: ForeFlight will continue to offer  monthly chart and data updates to customers, including downloads of VFR sectional and IFR enroute charts, and expects no interruption of service.

Nothing is more important to Team ForeFlight than your faith, trust, support, and encouragement. We will always strive to live up to that, with the same conviction that drove the first pilots skyward.

Thanks for sharing that Jeff.  I was hoping that was the case having just paid the subscription day before yesterday for ForeFlight's iPad product.  It is impressive and worth paying a subscription for which is maybe what FlightPrep should have strived to do in having a product people want to pay a subscription for because it's worth it.  Regardless, I'm still bent about what FP has done to Dave Parson's, Runway Finder and others like them.  Happy New Year!

http://beta.navmonster.com/

Navmonster's site says they are coming back up.  Must have been the biblical smack down FP took over the patent infringement.  Mark up another small victory for the power of the internet and the passionate individuals that make up the GA community.  Happy 2011 everybody...this is a good way to start.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Good news!

You spoke (in volumes!) and we've listened. We got all the lawyers and programmers together from both sides, and after some good discussions, an agreement has been reached. No more patent infringement worries.

Since the site is already down, we're taking the opportunity to change a few things around. But NavMonster should be back, stronger than ever, on the first of the new year.

Thanks for all the well wishes and words of encouragement. Happy New Year, and safe flying.

Marc Alexander
marc@navmonster.com
Dec 31, 2010