High oil pressure outside of idle

par

6 hours ago, DXB said:

Yeah I get the feeling there is no clear consensus on what's ok for an O-360 in a C model.  When I got my plane, my CHTs on climb looked like those of the poster here - I'd have to hustle to keep in the 430s, and it could hit 450 if I insisted on climbing at Vy the whole way.  Cruise was no issue unless leaning aggressively.  The advice seemed to range from "Meh... these old C models run hot" (a well known MSC owner) to "OMG Do something NOW!" (Mike Busch).   Now after some work on the baffle, the hottest cyl gets to 400 but not much hotter, even if I climb steep, and I can lean much more. My main worry is that the plane was in Texas and Florida before I bought it, where it had 600hrs put on new Millennium cylinders.  I suspect they were treated pretty badly in terms of temps in that environment along with crappy baffling, and there was no engine monitor until recently. It will be a dilemma whether to replace or overhaul them when its time to overhaul the engine.  

BTW my oil pressure often runs in the top yellow arc at full power, but I haven't paid much attention- my bandwidth is still too preoccupied with the temps. 

Would you mind sharing briefly what you did to the baffle to get things under control? I don't know enough to know what would be considered good/bad. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of my C's doghouse to share but out of the 3 mechanics who have seen it since I have been the owner, none has said anything about it.

Also, short of forking over 2k that I don't have right now for a low end engine monitor, how do I verify fuel flow at full throttle? I'm curious why Lycoming or Mooney haven't issued anything to make changes to C models if this is a known problem. It doesn't make any sense that we have instrumentation in the plane that is marked a certain way but unless this board existed, most C owners would probably be flying around in the CHT green arc and not thinking a thing of it. 

4 minutes ago, par said:

I'm curious why Lycoming or Mooney haven't issued anything to make changes to C models if this is a known problem. It doesn't make any sense that we have instrumentation in the plane that is marked a certain way but unless this board existed, most C owners would probably be flying around in the CHT green arc and not thinking a thing of it. 

Because it's more of a longevity issue than a safety of flight issue.

• 5 months later...

Par,

I realize I'm a little late to the party on this but just curious if you ever got this issue resolved or decided to live with it?

I'm in the same boat you are and after flying my C for a few months I'm running top of the green arc for pressure. After reading everyone's posts it sounds pretty normal but every time I look down it intrigues me why its running high. The mechanic's I've talked to didn't seem too concerned either, but like I said, I'm curious.  My next annual I'm going to get everything calibrated but until then I'm going to check the oil cooler and oil screens on my next oil change. My baffling looks pieced together too so I thought could be part of it. Last resort I'm going to look at the flow resistor and maybe adjust that. That's a last resort though because it was overhauled 300 hour ago. I wouldn't think it would get worn out by then. Hopefully it's one of those....

Nate

The green arc on the CHT on mine starts at 300 ends at an interpolated 480 climb on a hot day is just barely past the 400 mark and comes down to 370 to 380 in cruise.  OP starts at around 85 to 90 and after a long flight stays around 70. Still trying to get a handle on my high oil temp reading. Waiting for the JPI slimline oil temp gauge to arrive UPS then install for a second gauge. My boiling water test at least revealed factory gauge was showing 20 higher than actual 

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 10:09 PM, MooneyNate said:

Par,

I realize I'm a little late to the party on this but just curious if you ever got this issue resolved or decided to live with it?

I'm in the same boat you are and after flying my C for a few months I'm running top of the green arc for pressure. After reading everyone's posts it sounds pretty normal but every time I look down it intrigues me why its running high. The mechanic's I've talked to didn't seem too concerned either, but like I said, I'm curious.  My next annual I'm going to get everything calibrated but until then I'm going to check the oil cooler and oil screens on my next oil change. My baffling looks pieced together too so I thought could be part of it. Last resort I'm going to look at the flow resistor and maybe adjust that. That's a last resort though because it was overhauled 300 hour ago. I wouldn't think it would get worn out by then. Hopefully it's one of those....

Nate

Nate,

I suppose you could say it was resolved after spending a little under 3k to have an EDM-830 installed. I now see my oil pressure remain well within the factory green arc as shown by the digital readout on the engine monitor. I would highly recommend a digital engine monitor as I don't think I will ever own an airplane without one. It gives you a lot of piece of mind and saves you fuel in the process.

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 8:02 AM, par said:

Nate,

I suppose you could say it was resolved after spending a little under 3k to have an EDM-830 installed. I now see my oil pressure remain well within the factory green arc as shown by the digital readout on the engine monitor. I would highly recommend a digital engine monitor as I don't think I will ever own an airplane without one. It gives you a lot of piece of mind and saves you fuel in the process.

I may go that way as well, I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. I was considering going with a EI-FP5 for fuel flow only but I think I'll my money and upgrade to the EDM-830. Thanks for the update.  

Edited by MooneyNate

On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2016 at 8:02 AM, par said: Nate,

I may go that way as well, I don't plan on selling it anytime soon. I was considering going with a EI-FP5 for fuel flow only but I think I'll my money and upgrade to the EDM-830. Thanks for the update.  

Why not be like this crazy Mooney owner and have both?

7f7c6e1666b01f650d7a62d75541fe5e.jpg

7b92a35109de9f260bdddb815934bb15.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MooneyNate said:

Get in touch with "Aerodon" here on MS and he will hook you up. If you are near VA beach, my mechanic will install it for you for a very reasonable price. Shoot me a message if you want any more info.

On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2016 at 2:06 PM, par said:

Get in touch with "Aerodon" here on MS and he will hook you up. If you are near VA beach, my mechanic will install it for you for a very reasonable price. Shoot me a message if you want any more info.

Awesome. Thanks for the info!