Is Mooney suitable for learning how to fly?

HC

16 minutes ago, plumberpilot said:

No I haven't done a spin, do you think I should find an instructor and a plane and do a few?

The FAA doesn't think it is important enough to have you do it in private pilot training.   So, don't feel compelled to run out and do it.  That said, in my opinion it is a valuable experience.  If you ever end up in the situation, it would be nice to have at least done one before.   --I'm not an instructor, so maybe some of them can way in on the question. 

Thoughts that come to mind...

1) Judgement of rate, time and speed is more challenging in a Mooney than in a trainer.  

2) The Rate of which these judgements come up is significantly faster in a Mooney than in a trainer.

3) Memorized lists of detailed data are longer in a Mooney than in a trainer.  Check lists are not todo lists...

A broader education in flying occurs when you use a trainer then transition to a Mooney. Then pick-up the tail wheel or glider rating.  Then IR...

Let's use a highschool student (Joe student pilot) as an example...

1) he wants to marry a college girl (fast and efficient, like buying a Mooney)  Go O3 like a graduate student, more powerful and refined....

2) It is going to take some practice and experience before the college girl is going to give Joe what he is looking for.

3) Should Joe stick with the usual plan and date someone his own age to pick up the experience at a usual pace? Or...

4) Is Joe the unusual high school student that comes by these skills naturally? :)

Of course you can learn to fly in a Mooney.  

Dozens of people have outlined why you may not want to, based on their experience.  A handful of people have the dough to make it happen with O3 and other higher performance planes...

If you want to go this route, it is open to you.  

Only you can answer the questions like...

- Would it save time?

- Would it save money?

- what would you get out of it by going this direction vs the traditional route?

- what is driving you to skip the basic training routine?

- would you be dissapointed if you were slower to make headway than expected?

- would you be dissapointed if you broke something on the plane like a prop strike?

Everybody has different challenges when going through training.  What slows one pilot up will be different from another pilot.

I had difficulty doing steep turns.  It took a long time at an hour of training per week to get through the block.  Given enough money and time  these skills can be learned quicker.

Picking up muscle memory is like physical training if you do it three times per week you get pretty good quickly.  Twice per week you can maintain the skill. Only once per week the skills atrophy as fast as you can pick them up.  

It helps to be young, have money and have time.  That would really help Joe Student Pilot.

Either way, get started training.  The sooner you start, the sooner you can answer these questions for yourself.  Rent a Mooney with an instructor.  Rent a C152 with an instructor. Then decide for yourself.  Set your goals to include the IR, because it is good for your health (according to my insurer)

Just questions that come to mind...

Best regards,

-a-