Who is using Uber?

I have never tried Uber myself.  I was at a benefit gala for one or our regional theaters this past winter.  The Chairman of our Board does not live far from where the gala was held, and he used Uber to get there with his wife, making sure they understood he would need to return home some time after midnite.  I was leaving in my car at about 1 a.m. and saw him outside the theater talking into his cell and he was very upset.  Apparently Uber was not going to pick him up, they had decided it was too late for them and not convenient.  I took them home.  I just don't have time to mess with transportation services that can't make a pick up on time or when they say they will, not even once.

Obviously neither you nor the Chairman understand Uber.  Uber is not a company that supplies drivers. Uber is an app that puts you in touch with drivers. The drivers are all independent people who have signed up to make a little extra money. Obviously not all people are as professional, accommodating, responsible, etc. as others. I've done just what your Chairman did, several times with Uber and had it work well.  But I realize that when I'm asking for this service from the driver, it's just between me and them, Uber is not involved.

Personally I use Uber on average, once or twice a week. I've used Uber all over the world including this week in Tel Aviv. I much prefer them to Taxi's for all the reasons listed by Amelia.

Thanks.  So there is the answer.  Uber is not responsible for anything.  You put in a request and someone might come get you, or not.

There are quite a few anecdotes about Uship where someone has used it and the driver then hides the freight and demands more money.  Uship is not responsible, they are just an app.

Yes, I agree on cabs, sometimes they come get you when they feel like it. 

Just the kind of dependability I need.

Thanks.  So there is the answer.  Uber is not responsible for anything.  You put in a request and someone might come get you, or not.

It's a ride matching service so if drivers are available it will show estimated time to reach your pick up point. Once you select to schedule a ride they come, never had or heard of any instance where you confirm the ride they don't show up. It isn't a car service where you can schedule ahead nor in the middle of nowhere at 3am are your odds of a driving be available are slim.

You might want to try the service and develop a first hand opinion. I use it almost exclusively for work and pleasure now but there are times when I still make use of a regular cab or a car service.

If someone is available and accepts the ride you know instantly. If not you also know right away. Not only that, if they accept your ride request you can see on a moving map exactly where they are in relation to you. That's more reliable than any cab I've ever called for. Your post comes off as kind of dig at a service you obviously don't understand. Maybe you should educate yourself before commenting more, you might actually enjoy the service.

• Like 1

Thanks for all comments. I will load the app and try it. Most comments suggest a positive experience compared to cabs. The noise I hear from France and other areas where they don't want that competition remind me a lot of situations we lived in my province where some unions would fight (use force) to keep their cartel alive.

The market is talking. I agree that taxes are required to keep social programs viable however there are limits. Where I live we have reached this limit. When you take a cab, about 1/2 is going in all kinds of goods and services taxes and income tax. Rendering this service illegal will just create a black market.

I will forge my opinion in more detail when I try it.

Cheers

Yves

Here's the deal. 

I work in a profession where using people who might or might not perform, and where you can see them not performing on your iPhone, is not merely unacceptable but it can result in someone losing quite a lot because you did not get where you were supposed to be when you were supposed to be there.  I suppose that makes me generally intolerant of systems where you might or might not get someone, depending on how stressful things are in their life and how they are feeling at the moment.  So no, Uber would not be high on my list.  Having just researched Uship, which works the same way, they are completely forever off the list.  These types of things do not work for me, if the work 90% of the time.  Sure there will be 90 anecdotes about how easy it was 90 times, it is the ten failures, or the one failure, that I cannot tolerate and won't.

If you have lots of time in your life and the patience to put up with people who say they will do something and then don't feel like it later, then Uber would work fine.

Traditional taxi cabs also don't perform 100% of the time. I had one fail to show for a pre-scheduled trip to the airport for a commercial flight. Never showed up despite a couple calls. Finally had to give up, drive myself, and pay for long-term parking instead. Taxi companies set the bar pretty low with their performance. They deserved to have somebody come up with a superior product and eat their lunch. This is an example of the free market working.

90% of my Uber rides have been without issue. On the 10% with an issue, usually the driver will make some sort of effort to mitigate. I've had a driver miss a turn, adding a couple miles to the trip. He ended the trip a couple miles before the destination so I wouldn't have to pay for his mistake.

Hahahah, ok jlunseth, or whatever your name is... you must not travel much and therefore not have any use for Uber. That's fine, I'm happy for you.  

In my business I travel full time. I often do three cities in one day with many millions on the line in each meeting in each city. When I land I always have to make a choice to make between taxis, rental car, or Uber. My schedule doesn't often allow for the extra time involved with a rental car. And I'm still at the very top tier at both Hertz and Avis. I've found Uber to be much more reliable, quicker, and all around better than the other alternative which is a Taxi.  Of course, Uber isn't operating in ALL locations therefore I use plenty of taxis as well.

The original question in this thread was Who is using Uber. I'll wager my paycheck that I use Uber more than anyone else on this forum. And I continue to use them because they're better than the alternatives.

Here's the deal. 

I work in a profession where using people who might or might not perform, and where you can see them not performing on your iPhone, is not merely unacceptable but it can result in someone losing quite a lot because you did not get where you were supposed to be when you were supposed to be there.  I suppose that makes me generally intolerant of systems where you might or might not get someone, depending on how stressful things are in their life and how they are feeling at the moment.  So no, Uber would not be high on my list.  Having just researched Uship, which works the same way, they are completely forever off the list.  These types of things do not work for me, if the work 90% of the time.  Sure there will be 90 anecdotes about how easy it was 90 times, it is the ten failures, or the one failure, that I cannot tolerate and won't.

If you have lots of time in your life and the patience to put up with people who say they will do something and then don't feel like it later, then Uber would work fine.

:rolleyes: What you just described is a taxi cab.

Read my post again. If nobody is available you know right now and you call a cab or get a rental car. You're not left sitting there waiting thinking you have a ride, you know immediately. Then you get to hope that the cab you call decides to show up, which in my experience is a crap shoot at best. 

You're good at making yourself sound high and mighty and that your time is so valuable, but when it comes to this topic you're obviously quite ignorant. Try deflating the ego a little and educating yourself on which you speak. Also stop comparing to Uship, they aren't the same company and it's not even the same service.

Uber: Click button on phone. If ride is accepted you can track the car up to the curb. If ride isn't accepted you know in a matter of seconds.

Cab: You call, then you wait. Maybe they come, maybe they dont. You wont know until they either show up or they dont.

Which one sounds more like the waste of time and failure rate you described? I know which one has failed more often for me, and it's not Uber.

• Like 1

Uber... Love it... we used to use it on the weekends to go out and not worry about having a glass of wine at dinner, but that was before I had my own designated driver for about 9 months... end of August we'll need a baby sitter and an Uber car ;).

We've had awesome experiences with Uber.  A few problems, but it's so much easier than dealing with a smelly cab.  Just request a driver and then get out of the car.  Sure- they're not all great, but they're a lot better than a cab.  Sitting here in front of my computer, I can't think of a single ride that was truly terrible.  

• Like 2

Flew with co-owner to Mankato, MN for a round of golf Thursday. They have a courtesy car, but "like it" when you don't keep it over 2 hours...I can't count the times I cabbed it because courtesy car was out, but partner elected to have them call a cab. Got to our destination and it was $31 bucks. One way. Good Grief. Should of walked or hitched. What a ripoff.

I asked if they had Uber. NOPE. I will not be heading back anytime soon.

Ever...