Vintage Mooney Paint

Check the spinner polishing thread for some products and experience...

Not sure if there are any down sides to it.

Best regards,

-a-

California Gold!

To do,the whole plane, I'd use both compounds and a power buffer. My spinner shine was restored with zero effort using just the purple, but it was already slick and shiny. The shine holds up well, too. I did one of the two mirrors on my car before it started raining; the one I polished is still shiny after six months outside, the other mirror is not.

California Gold!!

post-6921-0-28292700-1436671554_thumb.jp

post-6921-0-36214300-1436671573_thumb.jp

post-6921-0-53581700-1436671594_thumb.jp

• Like 1

I am stripping mine and thinking about Polishing her for a nice shine, anyone done that before?

Thought about it.   Then stepped back once the buffer put a nice shine on the old paint. Now thinking about just stripping the leading edge and polishing.  Very Jet like.   I was noticing on the Airbus that I was on they went for a brushed aluminum look on the leading edge.  Should be able to accomplish with some scotch brite pads.

I am stripping mine and thinking about Polishing her for a nice shine, anyone done that before?

I've seen some planes that were bare polished with a few accent stripes painted in a transparent pigment so the polished aluminum shows through the color and it looks beautiful and would suit a vintage Mooney exceptionally well IMHO

• Like 1

Variation on a theme, how would this look? Design a stripng scheme, polish under them really well. Mask them off and use scotchbrite to create a low-maintenance brushed look everywhere else. Remask and paint the polished stripes with just a clear topcoat, so they stay shiny.

Two-tone bare aluminum!

• Like 1

I checked the spinner thread and did order some of the California Gold.  As soon as it gets here I'll try some and post pics.   I am also thinking that the brushed aluminum look might be nice...(and maintenance free!)

I am going to miss the vintage paint scheme on "The Mooney Pit".

• Like 1

I know how hard it is to keep my aluminum spinner shiny. I couldn't imagine doing a whole plane!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You haven't tried the magic purple juice! Mothers kept my spinner shiny for a couple of weeks, sitting in the hangar; now it stays shiny for months! Love it, love it, love it!!

• Like 2

OH NO.  That point when you realize the paint on your cool mooney was also used by AMC.  As in AMC Pacer or AMC Gremlin 

year manuf name code sample     1975 AMC Green Apple H5    

51302A.jpg

Love it - Seeing that car - makes me think of Greg and Marsha Brady coming out of the house with with colorful shirts, bell bottom pants and big round sunglasses.

• Like 1

Love it - Seeing that car - makes me think of Greg and Marsha Brady coming out of the house with with colorful shirts, bell bottom pants and big round sunglasses.

Makes me think of the automotive equivalent of one of Marauder's girls.

• Like 2

I tried the California Polish today - it does work miracles, as long as the aluminum underneath is scratch free.  It will leave the scratches under the shine.

Before

After

I tried polishing another area that had more scratches and it simply shined up the scratches.

Abrasives are required to remove scratches. They leave smaller scratches behind. These must be removed with smaller abrasives . . . After two or three or eight abrasive iterations, each smaller than the one before, you end up with the very fine abrasive known as "polish." Due to very fine abrasive size in Polish, it will not affect scratches. If they are large, though, the polish may make the inside of the scratches shiny, too.

Good luck! In a former life, I polished a lot of steel . . .

OH NO.  That point when you realize the paint on your cool mooney was also used by AMC.  As in AMC Pacer or AMC Gremlin 

year manuf name code sample     1975 AMC Green Apple H5    

51302A.jpg

Isn't that an AMC Pacer?