Can we start talking about Oshkosh yet?

Guest Mike261

is there a reserved mooney parking area for those that don't caravan out? I've been there a few times and sent packing to appleton. id like to have a place to camp with mooney folks.

mike

is there a reserved mooney parking area for those that don't caravan out? I've been there a few times and sent packing to appleton. id like to have a place to camp with mooney folks.

mike

From what I understand, if you don't arrive with a mass arrival (caravan) the parking is random. In the webinar last night they said last year they had to close the camping area only on Tuesday and the two prior years it was never closed. If it is closed when you arrive you can divert to Fon Du Lac and camp there for a night then fly over the next day after people depart.

There is usually empty spots from Tuesday on during the week that develop where the Caravan parks. Some members of the Caravan have to leave early and it takes a few days before the Marshallers decide to fill them up with any type of aircraft. Mooney Caravaners will be happy to welcome other Mooneys in these spots as they develop. You just need to find out where the Caravan is and tell the Marshallers you want to park there which might not easily be done. You kind of need to have someone walking undo the ropes to allow taxiing where the group is when you get there.

Don't forget that there will be a MooneySpace gathering at the Mooney Caravan tent on Monday evening at 6PM. There is also a BBQ on Tuesday at 5PM. Tickets are required for this one. Check the schedule for details on MooneyCaravan.com

Yves

• Like 2

I'll be there in N1137Z. Not quite ready to caravan but I will overnight in Madison on Friday (my hometown) and fly in Saturday. Hoping that will put us in a prime spot on the north 40. Can't wait to see all the mooneys fly in! Can non-caravanners score a BBQ ticket or are they only available in 3-ship formations? :-)

I'll be there in N1137Z. Not quite ready to caravan but I will overnight in Madison on Friday (my hometown) and fly in Saturday. Hoping that will put us in a prime spot on the north 40. Can't wait to see all the mooneys fly in! Can non-caravanners score a BBQ ticket or are they only available in 3-ship formations? :-)

All Mooney flyers are welcome to the BBQ however I suggest you buy your tickets in advance, just in case they set a limit with the available food. The whole Caravan group will be in Madison from Friday to Sunday morning.

Yves

mike

Generally parking is assigned on a first come first served basis. And planes are just lined up in the North 40 as they arrive.  The whole purpose of the Mooney Caravan was to ensure that all the Mooney's would get to park and camp together in the North 40.  Since then, we've realized how much fun the formation flying is. And many of us do it now, just for the formation work. But originally it was done just to be able to park and camp together at Oshkosh.

Coming in late in the week, there will be open spots. I'll be leaving on Wednesday so my spot in the Mooney area will be open. But the only sure way to get in on the Mooney parking is to Caravan in.

Is there anything that's absolutely essential to bring? So far I've got bug spray, sunscreen, tent, sleeping bag, solar charger for cell phone, and a fan for the tent.

Money, lots of money!

Clarence

Looking forward to it too.

Hope everyone enjoys camping, I got my fill when I was in the Army. Willing to pay extra for hot showers, cold air conditioning, and cable TV.

Anyone else staying in Appleton?

You have got to see some of the elaborate setups people have. Granted, not the fly in crews, but people have some setups that would put many hotels to shame including entire trailers setup like bars. I rented a big boat last year for a few days and stayed on it and then camped towards the end of the week...Mrs still has her "rivet puller" pin they were giving away at the Zenith Aircraft build in progress. She actually had a lot of fun. 

You have got to see some of the elaborate setups people have. Granted, not the fly in crews, but people have some setups that would put many hotels to shame including entire trailers setup like bars. I rented a big boat last year for a few days and stayed on it and then camped towards the end of the week...Mrs still has her "rivet puller" pin they were giving away at the Zenith Aircraft build in progress. She actually had a lot of fun.

Okay, I'll consider camping if I can have air conditioning and we put together a plan for Reconnaissance and Security patrols to the Bonanza Caravan area. Somebody has to keep an eye on those guys...

Okay, I'll consider camping if I can have air conditioning and we put together a plan for Reconnaissance and Security patrols to the Bonanza Caravan area. Somebody has to keep an eye on those guys...

Force Recon, huh?

Water pistols, OK; Super Soakers, great! Paint ball guns, not cool . . .

I've not been to Osh, but do visit grass fields on a semi-regular basis. Flaps up, yoke fully back, and don't go too fast. Watch the ground in front of you. It will take extra power. I camped for most of a week at SnF, then stayed an extra day because the ground was too soggy for me.

When you're ready to leave, pull out of your parking spot into the aisle between rows, load quickly, crank up and go. Sitting in one spot, the plane will sink in a little; moving out of there will make it easier to start rolling. The folks camped behind you will appreciate you aiming your prop blast somewhere other than their tent and tail, too.

I've not been to Osh, but do visit grass fields on a semi-regular basis. Flaps up, yoke fully back, and don't go too fast. Watch the ground in front of you. It will take extra power. I camped for most of a week at SnF, then stayed an extra day because the ground was too soggy for me.

When you're ready to leave, pull out of your parking spot into the aisle between rows, load quickly, crank up and go. Sitting in one spot, the plane will sink in a little; moving out of there will make it easier to start rolling. The folks camped behind you will appreciate you aiming your prop blast somewhere other than their tent and tail, too.

Excellent advice, nothing makes you look more like a tool than firing up and powering out of your parking space while blasting the three rows of campers behind you.