Metal in the Oil Filter

Gone

Ned, Yves was telling me maybe you want to do some formation practice before going to the Caravan, will you have time to do some engine pampering before ?

I'm free next weekend and if we can get Andrew ( Formation CFI ) to sit on my right side, I can get more training as well.

Thanks !

Theres not paint under those cylinder base nuts is there?

Negative on the paint

Ned managed to get several hours in the air today along with the first oil change.

He plans to head for home tomorrow, weather permitting.

Clarence

So I guess everyone already knows.  Yves flew me into Clarence's shop on Sunday where we planned the next steps to get C-FSWR back into the air.  She was in the local avionics shop for the 24 month Pitot-Static check (apparently failed the pitot side of that too), but we had it back in Clarence's shop by 10 am and started filling in the logs.  

The journey log was good enough for me to do the 40 minutes over the airport at 3000' AGL (4000' ASL) followed by the 90 minutes airport to airport fly by running it at 2500 - 24" for the 75% power (first hour) and then alternatively at 2500 - 22" for the 65% power / 75% power run for the next hour per the Lycoming break in procedure. See the pics below (not very good, but showing the actual conditions).

I used the iPhone App to determine the settings for 75% and 65% at given altitudes.  

Then the oil change.  No issue.  Back in the air for another hour.

I looks like CBs here tomorrow morning, but later in the day, they may clear out enough for me to fly home.  All told I should get another three or four hours of break in, bringing my total to 6 or 7 hours.  The last three hours will be from Ottawa the next day and then she is good to go for formation practice with Yves and Houman.  

If Andrew and his team are not available on the Saturday, one of us will fly formation with Houman, while the other can act as safety pilot for him, if he wishes.  If not, we will be doing three ship formation flying on Saturday next.  Stand by for the pics and vids from that effort.

post-7155-0-08632000-1436226299_thumb.jp

post-7155-0-46576200-1436226316_thumb.jp

post-7155-0-07620200-1436226332_thumb.jp

post-7155-0-28789700-1436226348_thumb.jp

• Like 2

So I guess everyone already knows.  Yves flew me into Clarence's shop on Sunday where we planned the next steps to get C-FSWR back into the air.  She was in the local avionics shop for the 24 month Pitot-Static check (apparently failed the pitot side of that too), but we had it back in Clarence's shop by 10 am and started filling in the logs.  

The journey log was good enough for me to do the 40 minutes over the airport at 3000' AGL (4000' ASL) followed by the 90 minutes airport to airport fly by running it at 2500 - 24" for the 75% power (first hour) and then alternatively at 2500 - 22" for the 65% power / 75% power run for the next hour per the Lycoming break in procedure. See the pics below (not very good, but showing the actual conditions).

I used the iPhone App to determine the settings for 75% and 65% at given altitudes.  

Then the oil change.  No issue.  Back in the air for another hour.

I looks like CBs here tomorrow morning, but later in the day, they may clear out enough for me to fly home.  All told I should get another three or four hours of break in, bringing my total to 6 or 7 hours.  The last three hours will be from Ottawa the next day and then she is good to go for formation practice with Yves and Houman.  

If Andrew and his team are not available on the Saturday, one of us will fly formation with Houman, while the other can act as safety pilot for him, if he wishes.  If not, we will be doing three ship formation flying on Saturday next.  Stand by for the pics and vids from that effort.

Great news Ted, hope all goes well and we can get some formation flying done this weekend !

I would really appreciate a safety pilot, I only have couple of hours of formation flying and being cautious and slow on picking this up, I rather be safe !!!

Yup and I plan another four hours of break in flying tomorrow.

Today's departure was planned to ensure no developing CBs enroute and before the front got to Waterloo.  It turns out that I had a 60 minute window to make that happen.  Relatively easy IFR all the way home with only a few ACC along the way.  I had to turn down the original routing which took me north of Toronto into the system shown in the picture below.  Instead they sent me out over the lake to stay out of the way of the heavy iron using Toronto Pearson.

Ned Gravel
Lucky steward of C-FSWR, a '65 E model at Rockcliffe, Ontario, (CYRO)
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

post-7155-0-74845000-1436448654_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Did four more hours today.  Varying between 75% and 65%.  One more to go, but now we are facing a little challenge with the new prop hub.  Clarence is on it. He will let me know what to do tomorrow.  

So the prop problem is not a prop problem.  It is a seal problem at the main bearing.  That we fix tomorrow and I fly her home again.  Clarence took about 2 minutes to figure that out.  

In the meantime, I did get one more hour of formation time in, acting as Houman's safety pilot while Yves and I bring him up to speed.  Is it just me, or does anyone else acting as safety pilot occasionally get the urge to just grab the controls and fix it yourself?  Smaller movements.  Anticipating the motion of lead in relation to our own aircraft.  Feel the airplane - not fight it.  

I am really looking forward to the Caravan.

So the prop problem is not a prop problem.  It is a seal problem at the main bearing.  That we fix tomorrow and I fly her home again.  Clarence took about 2 minutes to figure that out.  

In the meantime, I did get one more hour of formation time in, acting as Houman's safety pilot while Yves and I bring him up to speed.  Is it just me, or does anyone else acting as safety pilot occasionally get the urge to just grab the controls and fix it yourself?  Smaller movements.  Anticipating the motion of lead in relation to our own aircraft.  Feel the airplane - not fight it.  

I am really looking forward to the Caravan.

Ned, was I that bad... I do appreciate the help to bring me up to speed on formation flying and appreciated your calm attitude compared to Andrew.

See you guys next weekend !

Ned, was I that bad... I do appreciate the help to bring me up to speed on formation flying and appreciated your calm attitude compared to Andrew.

Houman:

Not at all. Same as me during my own training. It gets better with practice. But we are all perfectionists.

Overcoming the urge to take control when we think it could be done better is the mark of someone who trusts you to learn instead of someone who will only let you do it when they think you will do it as well as they. I am in the first group. I run a training company.

You will do just fine.

Ned Gravel

Houman:

Not at all. Same as me during my own training. It gets better with practice. But we are all perfectionists.

Overcoming the urge to take control when we think it could be done better is the mark of someone who trusts you to learn instead of someone who will only let you do it when they think you will do it as well as they. I am in the first group. I run a training company.

You will do just fine.

Ned Gravel

I know what you mean, I also run a somewhat consulting and training company and have given training in my field all my profesional life.

Now I do more project management and as such, I have to trust the person and let them do it, I always go by "Trust but verifiy" mantra

Hope the leak issue gets solved and see you in Madisson ...

Hello all:

Done and back in business.  When I drove into Clarence's shop this morning, the prop was already back on and the crankshaft seal removed, cleaned and reinstalled with a different adhesive.   Another oil change.

Then the ground run for leak check.  No leaks but my JPI 700 was not powering up.  Oops.  Turns out the ground lead from the JPI (which goes through the firewall and is grounded at the engine probably because of the probes) was broken at the connection.  Fixed that and another broken wire in the under-panel world that allows my STEC 50 to hold altitude.

Lifted off at 2:45 and was home by 4:30.  Since the engine break-in period is done, I did this at 9000' in the comfort of smooth air. See http://flightaware.com/live/flight/CFSWR/history/20150713/1845Z/CYKF/CYRO and the pic below.

Now to find that bottle of either Glenkinchie 12 Year Old Lowland Single Malt or Tomatin 12 Year Old Highland Single Malt and I am ready to go to Madison for one last practice with my element.

post-7155-0-33729700-1436824978_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Houman,

Start hanging out with a safety pilot not a safety "driver" and you'll find it easier! Sorry Ned!

Clarence

Matt:

Are you referring to the seal adhesive?  I should tell you that there is lots of "black" magic going on in that shop.  I am thoroughly convinced he used something "black" with whatever properties he deems appropriate to get at the problem of the seal.  

For example, after I had opened the avionics bay on my E model (it has a one piece windshield but not the J mod one) to get at the back of the JPI to find the where the ground wire was broken, I had to close it up using that particularly horrid black "gunk" that comes in strips and sticks to everything. Clarence insisted.  It is supposed to prevent moisture from getting into the avionics bay, especially when flying in rain or IMC.  

Thanks Ned & Clarence! Glad you were able to stop the leaks! My nose seal drive me nuts until a few old timers said, "you gotta let the seal do the work." A few things happened after that...

Mine no longer leaks.

Hope to see you both at OSH!!

-Matt

For years I have bonded crank seals in using 3M EC1300L. They never leak after that unless the front crankshaft slinger clearance is too tight.

I was fortunate enough that Ned got to close the forward avionics access door with 3M Strip Caulk. Works very well at keeping water out of the radios, just a bit messy.

Clarence

For years I have bonded crank seals in using 3M EC1300L. They never leak after that unless the front crankshaft slinger clearance is too tight.

I was fortunate enough that Ned got to close the forward avionics access door with 3M Strip Caulk. Works very well at keeping water out of the radios, just a bit messy.

Clarence

A BIT messy !?*%& good grief....

When you had me use that stuff on my first annual, I was convinced that it was punishment for getting in the way during the owner assist. ☺

• Like 1

A BIT messy !?*%& good grief....

When you had me use that stuff on my first annual, I was convinced that it was punishment for getting in the way during the owner assist. ☺

S'OK Cyril.  I think he was just messing with you, the way he messes with me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

End of Saga:

First the trip from Detroit to Madison was interesting.  Squall line (well maybe exaggerating a little) was crossing Lake Michigan from the other direction - so we planned to go south of it and Chicago.  Chicago had similar ideas and was constantly modifying my flight plan (as accepted by them and given to me in the Clearance) to keep me more and more south of their airspace.  As you can see from the recorded flight track below, I was pretty close to it at one point (about 10 miles I think) and we could see the mountain of cloud off our right wing climbing to over 30,000'.

Madison was a fun approach into a soft layer (altostratus) and landed behind two "company" a/c also headed for our line up.

Practice that afternoon before Pedro's had me worried a little about getting sucked while outside in the turns.

The next day was fun and the flying was challenging and enjoyable.  See the Foreflight track and this landing video where Mark Stefanov (K3) and I (K2) put our wheels on the runway within 1 second of Sandman's.   Purple dot is at 11 seconds.  My wheels touch down at 13 seconds and Sandman's at 14 seconds.  Mark is somewhere between the two.  As wingmen, it is our responsibility to make our lead look good.  We're done here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBMj4q1elM0&feature=youtu.be

Getting home was easy, once the air traffic system was onside. See the homeward bound flightaware tracks below. Before we got home, Clarence had adjusted my governor to give me a full 2700 rpm on demand.  We have our mojo back.

Thank you to everyone we met and flew with and helped make this the most enjoyable Caravan for us.

See you next year.

post-7155-0-82946400-1438010559_thumb.jp

post-7155-0-46026000-1438012867_thumb.jp

post-7155-0-16070700-1438015011_thumb.jp

post-7155-0-00368100-1438015018_thumb.jp

post-7155-0-24809300-1438015025_thumb.jp

• Like 4