Iphone 6+ as backup AHRS

Thought I'd share this. Mounted my iPhone six plus using a ram mount.

It's clipped on to aircraft in old ADF tray using a 2004 Chevy proclipusa console mount (no drilling required!) and attached using a ram mount base.

4306b11dbfcfe14df8d462ed81006627.jpg

It's using the horizon app connected to a stratus 2.

Nothing is permanently mounted and power cable runs to a 4 port charger.

I use foreflight on iPad mini with synthetic vision but this is always a good backup as I'm about to get my ifr currency back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Nice setup. 

I think you are "FAA Safe" since if you are questioned you just pop everything off.

...and if you get threatened by Mom (Nature), you've got an emergency AI.

This is one disappointing aspect of synthetic vision in ForeFlight. It works only on the iPad and not on the iPhone. I use an iPad mini so the screen size is already limited but thought I could use my iPhone 6 just to display synthetic vision. Was disappointed when I learned it does not run on the iPhone. Already have a backup electric AI, but thought it would be cool to have SV running on the iPhone.

But that app is not available anymore. I have found bunch of different ones but how to find out ( without buying all of them) which one will work with external GPS ( I have GDL39 3D) and it is reliable and stabil?

There's only one that will work with a GDL 39 3D - that's Garmin Pilot. If you've already bought it for your iPad it's free for your iPhone.

I guess I'm lucky that I randomly downloaded that app on all my devices before it disappeared!

Can you copy the app out of your iTunes media folder and post it here for us to download into our media folders? Then we can just sync I think.

Can you copy the app out of your iTunes media folder and post it here for us to download into our media folders? Then we can just sync I think.

Just checked my media folder and didn't see it in there. I haven't sync'd my iPhone to my laptop in ages... so that might be the problem. I'll see what I can do when I get home later.

Um - that's pretty cool actually.  I think my beat up old iPhone 5 may have just found a good home now that I've switched iPhone 6.    

DXB-

A stand alone program is needed if you run ForeFlight on your current iPhone.  The reason is that ForeFlight only allows one iphone device per account right now.  So if the AHRS function is not avaialbe as a stand alone app "Stratus Horizon" then you have to plug your current active phone that has the foreflight app.

I have contacted ForeFlight as I asked for two phone devices to be able to run ForeFlight in the past and they said no (but much more nicely).  So I have asked them to allow it, or to put "Stratus Horizon" back up on the App Store for purchase/download.

-Seth

I just got an email back from FF who were more positive this time to my suggestions to allowing two iPhones on one account (so that one being used like an iPod touch could be used in a non permanent mount to the panel.  Who knows what they'll decide.

As for the app, it is an Appaero app, thus, I need to contact them to see if they will re-release it, send it to us, or if they are not allowed to release it as maybe FF said that as part of sythetic vision they want the app to go away so more people will purchase FF for the AHRS.

-Seth

I used this device yesterday while I got my ifr currency back. The iPhone is definitely not in my scan pattern yet as I'm still glued to all the other gauges. I guess it will take time.

On another note, I have to charge the usb charger as the phone lost 25% in one hour even on charge. I think I installed a 1 amp charger adapter, not a 2.1 amp. Will check that today as I'm flying out.

Otherwise, when I did check it during holds, it verified I was in a standard rate turn so I think it's a great backup tool.

The instructor thought it was money; very impressed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it is not plugged in...

It will run the battery down during the flight.

I tested an iPhone5 using WingX in the car...

The GPS is active, the device gets pretty warm, the battery is not that large...

Some thoughts shared,

-a-

• 3 weeks later...

Turns out, it was the USB adapter. It was not rated for 2.1 amps. I put another adapter in and it works great. Although the new issue is I'm selling my plane due more useful load needs. Looking at a twin Comanche but have to sell this one first.