How much would you pay for a straight and level function AP?

I wish I could install one in my Mooney - very cool function for a few digital autopilots - that plus envelope protection.  Yes it is complicated, but its the certification process that stops avidyne from letting us in the Mooney world have what works on Cirrus and soon a few others...  part 23 rewrite?

Ok - old story.

My 16 year old was showing me tonight the RC airplane I agreed to buy him for his B-day.  Guess what it has....for $180 you get a complete (foam) airplane. With electric twin engines, and a transmitter - AND - a digital autopilot with envelope protection and a straight and level function!!!!  They call it the panic button but it rights the airplane from any attitude and they have an impressive 5 min video to prove it.

I wonder if I pull the autopilot out of my sons $180 foam airplane and install it in my airplane if the FAA will get mad at me?

You could do anything once! I like your thinking! Even the experimental stuff is tempting. I never could find any ruling on the old phrase "well it's not permanently attached to the aircraft." My big concern would be the Disconnect function. I wish IA's could use more judgment on installations.

Nothing is permanent...

-Matt

• Like 1

The Garmin G3X has one.

That is the setup I want in my airplane. If I have to go experimental I will but some day I'll be flying something like that. Check out the RV with G3X. This is a classy install and is what I would want for my Mooney if the FAA would allow it.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=121457