Fuel tank sealant removal machine

isaacpr7

How are you going to get that in the tank? The only access is through the three lower access panels, there are bulkheads between the three cells.

I would get an old hose, cut it down to size, close off the end and punch holes in it, make sure you have 360 degree coverage, the one above seem to just throw it straight up, you want it streaming off the walls. And just snake it thru the fill holes BEFORE removing lower access panels.

How are you going to get that in the tank? The only access is through the three lower access panels, there are bulkheads between the three cells.

That's very easy Turbo. If you notice, every joint is a quick release. When you remove both top access panels, the small sectioned pipes are inserted into place and assembled inside of the tank. When you are done using it you can disassemble the pipes inside the tank and remove them.

I would get an old hose, cut it down to size, close off the end and punch holes in it, make sure you have 360 degree coverage, the one above seem to just throw it straight up, you want it streaming off the walls. And just snake it thru the fill holes BEFORE removing lower access panels.

The only thing is that a hose would move around under pressure and not be aimed where you want it. Aslo, I don't know how the hose would react to the solvent. It might just melt. My prototype hase a house as a source of pressure just for testing but the final product will consist of only pipes going through the pump.

It looks like your tank that you are building is about 33 gallons.   Why would you not just fill up the tank with stripper let sit and then drain?   use the pump to repeat this each time removing more of the goup through a series of screens.   To be fancy about this get an extra bottom panel and install a fitting such that you can pump it up and then drain.

It looks like your tank that you are building is about 33 gallons. Why would you not just fill up the tank with stripper let sit and then drain? use the pump to repeat this each time removing more of the goup through a series of screens. To be fancy about this get an extra bottom panel and install a fitting such that you can pump it up and then drain.

Yetti,

I'm not sure I can picture what you are describing but if you are talking about filling the aircraft ranks with solvent it would be too expensive. At close to 100 dollars a gallon to fill a 26 gallon tank would be brutal on the pocket. The solvent container that I am building can only hold 11.2 gallons if I was to fill it up; however, the intent is to leave some room for the installation of a screen where the solvent will be filtered for the first time when returning into the solvent tank. From the solvent tank it will be filtered prior and after the pump before being sprayed by the nozzles inside the aircraft fuel tank. The idea is to cycle and filter minimum amount of solvent to get the job done without breaking the bank or spending a massive amount of man hours stripping the fuel tanks ;)

The only thing is that a hose would move around under pressure and not be aimed where you want it. Aslo, I don't know how the hose would react to the solvent. It might just melt. My prototype hase a house as a source of pressure just for testing but the final product will consist of only pipes going through the pump.

Assuming you are using Polygone:

Polypropylene, Poly Olefin, Polyethylene (low and high density), Teflon, and Butyl Rubber are safe to use.

Assuming the holes are small and pressure no more the household water pressure, the hose will stay, I have seen garden hoses spring small leaks and it's not enough to move it.

Ok stripper expensive. Got it. So $100.00 and you are in business tank and pump.

image_22684.jpg

I am all for building stuff but cheap single use Chinese tools are good too. You can spend that much on welding rods these days.

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-gallon-parts-washer-with-pump-60769.html

Yetti,

Using a parts cleaner tank is an amazing idea. As a matter of fact I have that 20 gallon parts cleaner my self. The only issue with using it for this project is that it would take at least five gallons to get it going because the tank is so wide and long that it takes several gallons just to reach where the pump is. You could modify that setup and make it work by using a different type of pump that would draw fluid while mounted at the bottom like a bilge pump. The tank that I made was from free scraps of steel and measures 18x12x12, which gives me 11.2 gallons of fluid. Every inch of height gives me just under 1 gallon. The goal is to maximize fluid level with the least amount of fluid in order to save some cash ;) As far as welding materials go, I got it all done with a wire fed flux core welder. This is probably the cheapest way to weld. The entire spool of wire is under 20 bucks and it lasts for several projects. So far my only expense has been in some cheap CPVC pipes and quick release fittings and some cheap Chinese made nozzles (10 for 35 dollars) from eBay. Oh, and the cast iron pump, which I will exchange for something from eBay for under 100 bucks. I belive the one I purchased was a bit overkill.

I was looking at your picture.  How are you going to fit this into the wing?  I'm assuming the contraption comes apart and you some how assemble it in the wing?  Have you tried this process?  I'm just wondering  if the longer pipes will fit.   

I was looking at your picture. How are you going to fit this into the wing? I'm assuming the contraption comes apart and you some how assemble it in the wing? Have you tried this process? I'm just wondering if the longer pipes will fit.

Chisk,

Just like Yetti mentioned, I will assemble and disassemble the pipes inside the tank. I measured the inside of the tank while it was empty and decided to go with 20" to give me some play room. Once I actually get to do it (not until I come back from deployment) I will trim as necessary but I do not expect the need to do so. When you switch to the other tank you can rotate the pipes as necessary for the position of the access panels. All pipes rotate freely on the quick release fittings.

• 3 weeks later...

Ever build a full scale slip-N-slide?

Summer is coming.

The distribution pattern looks pretty good for what you need.

Best regards,

-a-

Lol! I've actually seen those before. It would be cool to make one but my next project after I get back will be an electric aircraft tug ;)

Did a little experiment and it was a success. I submerged a piece of the CPVC tubing in Polygone for two days and it was intact and just as strong as when I submerged it. Looks like I don't have to go with copper after all. Also, the shark bite fittings are not required either. The pressure being put through the system by the pump is not even close enough to making the unglued PVC end caps come off. Another score for us CBs. Instead of CPVC you can use PVC which is 5 times cheaper ;)

You said , anyone can borrow it. 

I was thinking...... I'll drop off my plane and you can test it.

you get a test plane, I get a reseal . win win

I assume you are going into business with this bad boy.

carl

Carl,

I don't plan on going into business with it because I have a super busy military career. When I retire in 4 years I might get around to doing something with it as far as labor goes. Meaning, I would charge for labor then and use the machine to make my life easier and make it economic for the customer. I think some people still charge the same amount for labor as if they were spending 100 hours doing it by hand even though they have access to machines such as the one I am building. Not saying there's anything wrong with giving a high quote. Just saying I rather go the CB way and help some fellow mooniacs along the way ;)

PS: You can drop your plane off if you want. It might have some gadgets mine is lacking. Lol! JK.

ha ha, I looked at you panel, we are alot alike, non of that glass panel stuff. 

I do have an apollo loran which was not original equipment. Its too complicated to use you are welcome to it .

$_14.JPG

ha ha, I looked at you panel, we are alot alike, non of that glass panel stuff.

I do have an apollo loran which was not original equipment. Its too complicated to use you are welcome to it .

$_14.JPG

Carl,

Hopefully by the end of this year they will approve the use of non-certified avionics. That would put most of us CBs in the high end toy ownership bracket ;)

• Like 2