Budget Visors

Visor panels from LASAR for $25

Small cable clamps, 1/4" rod, 1" flat aluminum piece for $15.00 at Home Depot

Leftover black paint 

About 2 hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Okay, probably not exactly STCable, but simple to put on and take off with the 1/2" clamp around the center role cage bar.  Since Rosen doesn't have any for a '64, this was the best I could do after installing the 201 windshield.  

Don

post-7466-0-63045700-1416795707_thumb.jp

post-7466-0-30566600-1416795723_thumb.jp

post-7466-0-99819500-1416795742_thumb.jp

post-7466-0-59958800-1416795757_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Wow!! Looks perfect! I ordered the suction cup visors about a month ago and haven't received them yet. Will let everyone know how they look and work. Thanks. Troy

I had thought I would make a variation of the Ram version with left over Ram mount pieces I had and their suction cup. Would love to see them in use when you get them in.

Thanks,

Don

Visor panels from LASAR for $25

Small cable clamps, 1/4" rod, 1" flat aluminum piece for $15.00 at Home Depot

Leftover black paint 

About 2 hours on a Sunday afternoon.

Okay, probably not exactly STCable, but simple to put on and take off with the 1/2" clamp around the center role cage bar.  Since Rosen doesn't have any for a '64, this was the best I could do after installing the 201 windshield.  

Don

Next obvious question to ask is....How much you charge to make one of these for someone else? These are AWESOME! :-)

Show up at my hangar and we'll build a set over a six pack or two.  I'm sure the FAA and the legal eagles out there will not like the idea of me scrounging Home Depot hardware and strapping it to our certified aircraft and charging for it.

Don 

• Like 1

Show up at my hangar and we'll build a set over a six pack or two.  I'm sure the FAA and the legal eagles out there will not like the idea of me scrounging Home Depot hardware and strapping it to our certified aircraft and charging for it.

Don 

Make it a "themed" BBQ outing!  Call it - Smoked Visors!  or Have Visor - Will Travel!  LOL

• Like 2

Yes, it is a U-shaped clamp that is the same size as the center bar in your Mooney.  You throw away the small piece of flat that comes with the clamp and cut out a piece of flat aluminum (or thin steel) that is about 2" x 1".  You'll drill two holes for the large clamp running length wise and 4 smaller holes for the small clamps holding the bar.  I'll take a close up of it tomorrow or the next and post it.  Sorry, but no drawings were made as I'm not that scientific. 

I love the BBQ idea and we did have a Mooney fly-in at my house last spring.  It really wouldn't take anytime to knock out a few of these. 

Don

• Like 1

Great idea! Are those fixed? Or will they flip up and down?

Yes, they flip down.  They certainly don't articulate like Rosens or Wisors but they served the purpose. When you tighten the small U-shaped clamps over the rod and through the visor to the flat piece on the opposite side, tighten just enough to hold in place and pivot down when you need them down.  First flight, I took a small wrench to adjust the tension.  They stayed up fine and pivoted down easy.  The nuts just need to be snug.  

Don

• Like 1

Did you use some sort of nylon bushing to act as a friction lock for the articulation? Or is it just metal on metal and the 4 bolts are used for tension?

No, the 4 nuts (2 on each u-bolt) on each visor panel snugged up are enough to keep them from slipping down unless you want them to.  The nylon bushing is a great idea as I will look at doing something like that on version II.  

Don