Introduce Yourself

TurboExec

Axel Herbst, I have a M20J based in EDRF Germany ( near Ramstein Airbase), I have 2 kids and a wife who all enjoy flying. When I am not flying the Mooney I fly my Piper J3C Cub . For living I am a Captain and Technical Pilot on a Boeing 747-400 Freighter for Cargolux Airlines in Luxembourg         ( www.cargolux.com ). 

Come to the states about every month which is great for shopping Mooney parts. Any Mooniac visiting Germany drop me a note maybe we can arrange some flying for you. There is a world on the other side of the pawn.

Quote: ajoflyer

Hi Amelia! I think we are the only two females here, so far anyway! So, Welcome! and post pictures in the gallery of your airplane. I read more than I post, and learn a lot from these guys...it's a great site for the Mooney Drivers. Happy flying!

I am Aaron and fly a 1968 Mooney M20 G "Statesman".  My mooney has been undergoing an extreme makeover for the past couple of years and will be completed in 2010.  The aircraft has all of the speed 201 Mods except (Single piece belly, inner gear doors, and wing tips).  It also has a Power Flow exhaust.

Last year I completely redid the panel including removing everything, fabricating new custom panels (split 60/40), and adding a GNS530W, PS Engineering 7000B, GTX330 Transponder (TIS Traffic), Yoke mount 496 (for XM Weather), a new turn coordinator (Brittain with PC), Stormscope, KX125 (#2 nav.com), EI FP5L, EI UBG16, EI Voice Annunciator, etc... 

This year it's time for the paint job.  I have chosen Tejas Aero for the paint work (largely based on other planes that I have seen them paint) and is scheduled for March-April.  I am a huge LSU Tiger fan and have chosen a custom paint scheme to include purple and gold.

I work in the medical sales industry and also enjoy scuba, fine wines, cooking, NCAA and NFL Football (my Tampa Bay Bucs and LSU Tigers!), and of course anything aviation oriented.  This is my first Mooney and have owned Beechcrafts (Sundowner and Musketeer) prior.  My real love with Mooneys comes to me as a memory from my childhood.  I was less than 2 months old when I flew in my father's 1969 C model.  As a small child we flew all over the USA in this airplane.  In the mid 70s, when we needed more room we moved down to a cherokee six, then an Aerostar, then a Lance II.  I always wanted a Mooney, as I had such great memories as a child in ours.  In 2005 I purchased mine and love everything about it.  My mooney is really part of my family! 

Hi all. I'm Lodewyk Engels and I farm in central South Africa. I'm 39 Years old and married with 2 kids.

I own a '67 M20F - for a year now. Due to the exchange rate and high maintenance costs here it does not have any fancy instruments or avionics. Just the basic Nav/Com, ADF, DME, EI fuel flow, EI EGTand I use a G196 GPS. Before the Mooney, I owned a Robin HR100-210 and a C172. I love my Mooney and even before I started flying, wanted to own a M20F. I will probably aim for a M20J or a M20K next and would like to end up with an Ovation 1.

There are loads of mods that I would love to do but once again get stuck with the above mentioned. It is cheaper to actually buy the 201 or 231 than to beef up the M20F.

All the best with the forum! Like many others, I've also been looking for this for a looooong time.

very similar to Lodewyk's post! I actually did most of my PPL training in South Africa, 43 Air School near Port Alfred, where the Mooney distributor for SA was based, about 15 years ago.

I fly a 1967 Mooney M20F, OY-DFD. I purchased last year in exchange for a Robin DR360, a lovely French built wood and fabric 4 seater, which I owned for 8 years, but was sadly becoming a bit cramped and not quite suitable for regular IFR , for our family holiday and weekend commute from England to France. Before that I had a share in a Comanche, and was looking to buy one but the Mooney owner wanted my Robin in exchange so that suited perfectly! I had done some CPL training in the US on a M20C and also a M20F so I was already quite a Mooniac. I would have loved a more modern Mooney but this deal worked out beautifully and allowed me to upgrade at little cost.

My Mooney is pretty much as it left the factory, apart from some newer radios and a 3 blade Hartzell. It has the original sixities orange paint job , the shotgun instrument panel and original interior too... It is however a fantastically reliable aeroplane, and after a year's intensive use I wish I had swapped earlier!  It has quite a decent IFR fit , HSI with an STEC autopilot and a IFR 155XL Garmin, and with a regular 145kt+ tas at 10k ft and around 10 us gals, it simply can't be beaten by anything non Mooney as an IFR cross country machine. On my first flight on my own with it from Denmark to the UK, I took it to 18kt feet (I have a portable o2 kit with eds) without any complaints!

I've added a Strikefinder and plan to add an EDM 700. I'd love to add tons of mods but as Lodewyk pointed out, with paperwork and high costs in Europe it is quite uneconomical to do so. Long term plan is to have it repainted , interior refurbished (with new panel arrangements), and maybe add some cowling/lasar/swta mod. I would love to add the Lo Presti cowl or the turbonormalising kit, but it doesnt make much sense economically. A powerflow exhaust at some point might be on the cards however! Avionics wise I also have a Garmin 196 on the yoke , which might get upgraded to a 495 soon. Sadly we do not have datalink in Europe.

I am based near London in the UK, but am Irish and German, and fly a Danish registered Mooney back and forth to France!

Patrick

• 3 months later...

I'm Barry Gee - just purchased my first Mooney M20F 9516M, waiting for the new paint and avionics to be installed in Mena, AR.  Then I will fly it out to Seattle for the summer, then perhaps back to Memphis.  Transitioning from a Cherokee 140 so these boards are great.  I've had two planes painted in Mena, AR so if anyone has any questions, just ask!  I also resealed one of the tanks using directions from a mooney member and put in new side glass before the paint.  Now hoping my center stack can handle the audio panel, 430W, 155 and transponder - hope it fits.

William Tomlinson - 1966 M20C, based at 3M3, Collegedale, TN. I'm an IT Director for a law firm, a part-time flight instructor, and FAASteam Member. Flew in a couple of J models with friends, then checked out two guys in their J model, and had to get a Mooney after that. Aside from trips to grab lunch, I've really enjoyed transporting animals for Pilots-N-Paws. If you are interested in the organization, please let me know. Lastly, I really enjoy this forum and appreciate the efforts of those who run it.

• 1 month later...

Carl Stevens in Mansfield, TX (DFW area). I work for an aircraft manufacturer on the west side of Fort Worth. I have a PPL with instrument and glider ratings. I have lusted for a Mooney since I saw a 201 land at our flight school in '78. I bought a Long EZ in 1995 and love flying it. My current mission profile is VFR with a split between local fun flights and go igh, go fast cross country. Since my wife will not fly in "such a small airplane" I am considering a purchase of a Mooney. It seems to be about the only thing out there that matches what I want in terms of speed versus economy. Plus, they are just so darn good looking.

I am spending a lot of time on controller, barnstormer, mooney specific broker/sales, and google. I am thinking now that a partnership will let me get into more airplane than I can afford myself. Looking forward to the research and the hunt.

Carl

• Like 1

Welcome, Barry Gee....Cool

Which Mena paint shop(s) do you have experience with?? I understand that most of those guys are related, and the two mentioned here are brothers. The two I've talked to are Dennis Goodner of small shop, AOG, and Roger Goodner of large shop, Crider. I've seen some very good work by AOG, and Aviation Consumer has them on their top 20.

Any tips, input and/or advise, either public or private would be much appreciated. Thanks, in advance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im Bryan,  I have a 1965 M20C N5842Q. I've had her for about a year and a half now and have been loving every minute of having her. I use every bit of performance she has, weather its going into semi short strips to flying high and cruising far. I live in Tacoma, WA and am in the Air Force. Been flying for 9 years and still love it!

Hi I thought it was about time I introduce myself my name is Ray and I have posted a few pictures on this site. I bought a 1965 mooney m20e(N5987Q) a few months ago and and still getting use to flying the new bird. I  was flying a cessna 150 quite a difference. Thought it would be a good idea to buy a aircraft that the wife and I could use for vacations on the long weekends. I live in arizona on a resedential airpark (27AZ) with a 4000 foot paved strip. In the pictures my hangar is 50 feet from my home so it makes it nice to just go out and fly. I really enjoy this site it gave many good tips that helped in buying N5987Q

• 3 weeks later...

Hello All:

My name is Ned Gravel and I have owned my 65 E model since 2005.  I have been flying for about 20 years but I have only really starting buiding time and ratings over the last 4 - now that the kids are grown and gone. 

I retired from the Canadian Forces (Army Signals) in the early 90s and I am currently on my third career. Lots of travel, but when the destination is within 4 Mooney hours of Ottawa, I try to make use of my own steed.

My fourth career will probably be as a flight instructor.

I have been a constant user of the aviating.com Mooney archive and a sometime user of the MAPA one, but it is very nice to see this site take off and include many not heard from on the the other sites.  I am always ready to learn from the experience of other Mooney Drivers.

I am a Canadian, based in Toronto.  Flew in the mid-seventies and want to start-up again.  I have a "thing" for the performance and style of a Mooney and am just learning to look for various upgrades, options and time related service issues.  I will plan to buy a plane this year.  I enjoy a turn-around project, both mechanically and cosmeticlly.

Rimm:  Not associated with the company?

You are well placed geographically to get good info on what is available.  You are about 10 Mooney minutes away from Tri-City Aero, a Mooney MSC whose owner keeps his ears to the ground looking for projects as well. 

The shop's contact details are probably on the Mooney website at www.mooney.com.  The owner's name is Clarence and his current Mooney project is a 66 E model.  If I ever win the lottery, I am going to beat him on putting together the Ultimate E model "J killer." 

Higher, faster, stronger...  Oops.  That is the Olympic motto.  Ours is just "faster."

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all ....

Theo Bellamy - Charlotte, NC - I am on my second Mooney, a 1965 M20C that I keep in Lancaster, SC KLKR. I have been flying Mooneys off and on for about 25 years and hope to keep it up for another 25! I have a collection of early Mooney panel mod photos that I put up in the photo gallery. I did the panel on my first Mooney back in the 80s but my current bird still has the "vintage" layout. I am about used to it and may not change ... but I still collect panel photos anyway. Go figure.

Nice to find there is modern Mooney forum online now. Nice work Craig!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Everyone. 

I have a 1966 M20C (N2652W) that I have had for a little less than a year.  I am based at Berry Hill Airport (4A0) in Stockbridge, GA.  I fly for CitationShares soon to be renamed CitationAir.  I have had an interesting career that started with flight instruction.  I flew corporate for a while as well.  I even flew the Twin-Otter on floats down in the Caribbean for a few years. 

We are really enjoying our airplane!  We have taken trips to the Bahamas and regular trips to Oklahoma and NW Arkansas.  My wife is from there and forces me to go to see the Razorbacks attempt to play football.  I told her she would benifit from watching a few Georgia Dawgs games.  Well see what happens.

Really excited to find this site!  Thanks for setting it up and if anyone is in the Atlanta area PM me and we can go have some lunch and talk about Mooneys.  Maybe even tell a few lies...

Kevin Harper