Introduce Yourself

TurboExec

I thought it might be a good idea for all of use to introduce ourselfs. Who you are, where your from, what type of Mooney (or other aircraft) you own/fly....

I'll start

I'm Adam, I usually cruise the AOPA boards but I am glad to finally have a place to turn to for Mooney talk!  I own a 1967 M20F, the 7th one of the line, Turbo Normalized.  I've had it a little of a year now and I've been stuck on Moonies ever since...I'm based out of Orlando FL, KORL, and if any of you get down this way let me know and we can grab a drink and share some stories...

• Like 1

I am the proud owner of a 1987 M20J 201 based on the Big Island of Hawaii (Kona Intl Airport - PHKO).  I am a 33 year old business owner and operate some pretty large video game related websites.  I have been married to my wonderful wife for just over 8 years, and if all goes well we might have some little Mooniacs running around here soon Cool

As most of you know, MooneySpace is my pet project, but more than anything my gift to the Mooney loving world!  I hope you enjoy the site!

• Like 3

I am an attorney in Houston, Texas and I am pretty new to the Mooney fold.  I have been in general aviation twice and I came back a while ago when I got tired of taking my shoes off in the security line.  I used to fly a Baron and picked the Mooney because it does most of what the Baron does with a far lower fuel burn and maintenance cost.  My airplane is probably unusual for an Eagle because it has airconditioning.  I am probably going to get the Midwest Mooney Screaming Eagle conversion for it in December.

My name is Tim.  I'm a college student, and really interested in Mooneys.  I've been a pilot for a little over a year, and I got my instrument rating this past summer.  Some day I hope to own a Mooney.  I really like the F and J models.  Of course the turboed 252 would be pretty sweet too.  If anyone comes to Northwest Iowa (hence "NWI") and is willing, I'd love to take a ride and see if the Mooney experience really is right for me.

I own an awesome 1961 M20B, based in CA. I have flown her from CA to NY, twice. I have a RayJay Turbo Normalizer, LASAR ignition, manual gear/flaps and brand new paint and interior. I am instrument rated. I work in public service, and I can't believe it sometimes that I actually defy gravity with my beautiful wings! My goal is to participate in the Mooney Caravan in 09. My dream would be to work in avaition, get paid to fly. Thanks for this website! ~ Lori-anne.  

• Like 1

Hello, I own N252Q, which is a 1988 M20/K 252.  I have upgraded her over time with new windows, paint, panel, etc.  I've documented much of the progress on my blog (www.n252q.com).I created my blog because there is nothing else out there on the web to capture Mooney specific info.  I could not be more pleased to see someone finally creating a real discussion board for Mooney owners. 

N5365G owner (1974 M20F).  I'm a Naval Aviator (BS Aero Sci, ERAU, MBA, Naval Post Grad School) currently serving in a Joint operational tour which means I go to Iraq frequently for short periods of time, ususally 1-4 months.  During the last 15 years, I flown the F-14A/B Tomcats and both the F-18C and F-18E/F Superhornet.  I'm an ATP with 4000+ hours with about 500 in Mooneys.  Thanks to Craig, all of us mooniacs now have a place to call home....all the best.

N57039 is an '84 M20J that I've owned with one partner since July 2004. I have 500+ hours in it so far, mostly IFR cross country flying. It's got a great panel and has  recently overhauled engine by Zephyrhills Aviation. I started flying gliders many, many years ago and started power in 2000. I've got a little over 1500 hours TT and a Commercial SEL, MEL & Glider with Instrument Airplane. I hope to have an ATP with my first type rating next month. I live in Georgia, have a small business that is a dealer for German built packaging machinery. I'm married with one son, a PP, who also likes flying the Mooney.

I'm 25 and a systems engineer for Boeing in Huntsville, Alabama (the Rocket City). I, too, am new to the Mooney fold as I have owned N6925U for about 16 months now. I'll get an avitar up soon. Currently, I am only private pilot rated, but soon I will begin my instrument training. I deeply need to update my instrument panel with a new layout and modern GPS (only have 1 nav/comm and Garmin 196). There are several reasons why feel this is a better route than selling and buying another plane with an already descent panel. This can be discussed on a different post.

Thanks for starting this forum! I am also on the AOPA site with the same user name. I'm on aviating.mooney.com, but my posts and questions never get answered.

I'm Roberto, proud owner of 2 Mooneys: The '08 Acclaim you see in my avatar, and a ´99 Screaming Eagle (310 HP) which was my ticket into Mooneys almost 3 years ago.  This Eagle has very special meaning to me as it has been sort of a laboratory for me and El Paso Aero, as we've been transforming it from the capable but basic avionics package that came out of factory, to one loaded with bells and whistles... Garmin 500W, GMX200, XM weather, Skywatch, Stormscope, S-Tec 55X with altitude selector-alerter and flight director, Insight 1000 air data computer w/ fuel flow, and most recently, an Aspen Avionics display and electric stand-by attitude indicator, that makes it an all electric plane now; the vacuum pump is now just a ballast in the nose.  Both are air conditioned, as here in the southwest gets really hot in summertime; and the Acclaim is FIKI TKS'd.   Which one I like the most?  The honest answer is: depends on the mission at hand, but I put a little more than 100 hrs./year on each of them since I got the newer one.   I'm in love with my Mooneys...

I'm the proud owner ov N721LP, a '67 C model. It is my second Mooney and I must say, they are wonderful airplanes. I keep her at 22W, in western NC, 2150' MSL, and 3000' long by 40' wide, with trees on each end. Once you get used to the approach it's not too difficult to get in and out of. A Garmin 430, EDO HSI, KNS-80, and an Anywheremap PDA makes navigation effortless. I am diligently working on my Instrument rating, thanks to John and Martha King...hahhah.  My son is also a PP, and is a Lieutenant and a 2008 Air Force Academy grad based in Columbus, MS awaiting flight training in December. Hope to be talking to y'all in the future.........

Jimmy Jackson 

I'm Don Muncy and fly 231AT, a 231K Model.  I hangar at Dallas Executive (previously Redbird).  I am a fairly recently retired attorney, having practiced civil defense litigation in Dallas.  In past lives, I raced sports cars (MG and Lotus) (amateur), and practiced veterinary medicine for a number of years.

Hi, I'm from Europe/Belgium and I really searched for an active Forum with Mooniacs for years, i fly a M20J which I rent, I love the Mooney handling but I'm still doubting for my first airplane buy between a Beechcraft and a Mooney! I'm doing my instrument rating now (groundschool) and hope to do the practical part in my own plane!!

Scott Sellmeyer here.  Nice work so far, Craig!  I hope it really takes off.  I'm an aerospace engineer (structural analyst) for Spirit AeroSystems (formerly Boeing-Wichita) and have been flying since 1991.

I'm active on the MAPA and aviating.com lists, but would love to consolidate all that traffic here in the nice, modern format.  I'm also active on the AOPA Forum with the same user name.

I have a '77 M20J that I purchased in Feb. 2007.  She has given me well over 200 hours of wonderful service so far, and I have some exterior upgrades and paint wishes for 2009.  Since I've owned her I've done a double WAAS upgrade and had the fuel tanks renewed at Willmar, and a relatively painless annual.  Prior Mooney experience includes learning in an M20F in my college flying club, and renting M20C, E and F in Wichita many years ago.  Purchasing my 201 was a dream come true, and I couldn't imagine a better plane for my mission.

Hi All. I sure hope this site takes off. As a long time Mooney list and MAPA list participant, it would be great to have an updated and consolidated place for Moony discussions, without all the wasted time those two take. Hopefully all three can merge.

It's interesting to read the arguments of "senior" aviators on those two lists describe their relative merits. And they wonder why there have been few airframe or engine improvements in decades. ;-)

Anyway, good to be here.

Ralph from Dover, DE.  I have been the prowd owner of a 63 C model, 6797U, for 18 years.  I'm a 55 year old retired Air Force Chief who flew C-5's for 33 years.  Now I work part time teaching aircrews in a flight simulator, think really big... it seats 7.  Married, wife is a pilot too, two children, one girl 11 and one boy 14. Both love to fly!   I'm an A&P, but all my experience is with large jet transports so I depend heavely on the Mooney guys opinions, hope they join soon.

Anyway, my hat's off to Craig and I hope this site really takes off.  Laughing

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all.  Scott here.  I own an '08 Acclaim.  This is my second aircraft.  I bought a new Cessna 182 last June (2007) and leased it back to my flight school.  At the time, I had just 15 hours of training under my belt.  I used the 182 to finish my training.  I got my private ticket in September of '07 and then my instrument ticket in January of this year.  Once the instrument rating was in hand, I wanted a turbo.  After much consideration of the Cessna 400, a tornado alley Bonanza and the Acclaim, I decided on the Acclaim and haven't looked back.  Luvin' every minute of it!!

Vernon Hill, have my second Mooney.  First plane was a 201 N10EX (got private in) that I had for years.  I now fly N111VS a 97 Ovation with 530, skywatch and a few other bells that I have owned for 7 years.

Commuted for a few years from NJ to LI NY in my planes.

Based at VAY in NJ

I'm an engineer in the silicon valley.

Prior to owning I rented the typicall 172/182 piper warrior/arrow types of planes.  I've been a mooney owner for the past 8 years all in the same airplane, a 1967 F-Model.    It is turbonormalized, which is super great for flying around the west coast and get over/around the Sierras.  I've become spoiled having my own air transportation.  Everytime I fly the airlines i'm even more thankful for owning an airplane!  I like all kinds of flying, random flight down low just because to straightline to visit family 600nm away.  I enjoy the challenges of IFR flying not that I do a ton of it being in california.  But I do keep current.

Cheers

chad

Don Shapansky, my first Mooney, a M20K Rocket with a very good set of avionics and the new EDM 930 certified to replace the conventional engine instruments. I had a lot of loose ends to get the Garmin 530W to talk to the EDM, I installed a Roll Steering converter, GDL 69A and overhauled all the pitot static instruments, replaced all the vacuum hoses and a very expensive vac regulator that must be changed every 10 yrs. In the first 90 days I have flown 125 hrs and now feel very comfortable. I have been to the west coast 3 times and that is where this bird really shines. Range is excellent, I fly 100 dF ROP and regularly see 215-217 ktas at F160-180, all three return trips have resulted in 250 kt grnd speeds. My 530 info page shows average speed for the last 15,000 nm is 188.9kts . As the fall temps arrive in Texas and we get standard days the climb rates are astounding as are the 200ktas at 6500', I realize that A/C would not be used much in this application, because in 7-8 minutes you can be at 10-11K where the air is cool and dry.

I purchased a 1998 Mooney Allegro in 2006 and love it!  I got my start in Mooneys back at ERAU in Daytona Beach, as a college student.  I rented an M20F Executive, and got my commercial license in it.  After college, I moved back to PA, and rented a Porsche Mooney at York Airport.  That plane drew a lot of attention on the ramps.  I pursued a career in aviation and flew many types of planes to include the SA-227 Metroliner out of Boston, the SD-360 Shorts out of JFK, the SAAB 340B out of JFK, the ATR-42/72 out of Chicago and Dallas, TX.  Also I have flown the Citation I, Westwind II, G-200 AstraJet, Beechjet 400A, King Air B200, B737, B757, and currently flying the B767-400 International.  I also like modding cars.  The Mooney will not be left out. I have added 4 HID PreciseFlight landing/taxi lights, and the LoPresti Hubba Hubba Caps to the mains.  It's in the avionics shop now and adding the G600, GTX-330, 430W, 530W, GI-106A, Skywatch, WX-500, ME-406 ELT w/Rod antenna, GMA-340, GRC-10, Whelen LED Nav Lights, and a marine antenna on the belly.  I can't wait to get the airplane back!  Hopefully it should be done early December.  As for the next upgrade, it will be the carpets replaced.  Thanks Craig "Mooniac58" for starting this site, it's GREAT!!!! 

Dave/M20J Lawrenceville, GA

You are welcome Allegro!  Say, PLEASE upload some pics of your new avionics when finsihed.  I really want to put the G600 in my J model.  I am thinking Garmin will be dropping the price $7-$10K when Bendix/King and Avidyne release their "GA Glass" solutions next year in the $20K range...so hopefully that plan will work ;-)