Cam Guard using

MooneyBob

I know it was discussed many times here but here is my scenario.

The new engine was installed in my M20J 10 years ago by previous owner. He put only 480 hours on it since then. Would it be any benefit there to put the CamGuard and / or different oil in the engine. I am using AeroShell 15W-50 now. I will do soon oil analysis and filter check after 25 hours I put on it. My concern is the corrosion of course. Any way how to find out if there is any corrosion beside the unreliable oil analysis?

My understanding (From Mike Busch) is it is never too late to start using CamGuard.  Especially since you don't know how long your engine may go past TBO, so why not use it?  I just changed my oil on my J last week and started using CamGuard with about 1300 hours on the engine.  I'm of the opinion it's never too late to protect against corrosion.  I bought a case of 4 pints for $90 recently, of it which I figure should last about 7 oil changes.

• Like 2

It requires removing a cylinder to get a look at some cam lobes.

You can find a few threads by various people doing oil analysis and finding iron in their results. Look to search and select forums, top right hand corner.

Lycoming IO360s are most challenged by this because the cam shaft runs dry by sitting.

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 2

agree with noter I just switched to camguard after using avblend for 20+ yrs in 3 different Mooneys with no problems..I'll give a report if it seems better worse or the same, my reason for changing is due to less flying, also bought a engine dehumidifier as suggested my our blogs..Mike Busch seems like he gets lots of hours from his engines..

• Like 1

A couple things.

I agree with the others.  Never too late to start protecting against corrosion.  We started adding Camguard a couple changes ago when we had about 700 hours on the engine (shortly after we got the plane).

If this is your first oil analysis and the engine sat unused for an extended period, do not be too alarmed if you see high metal counts.  As long as your filter does not have excessive metal in it, wait until your second oil analysis to see if metal counts are still high.  Our first analysis was red on almost every metal.  All subsequent checks have been normal.

If you watch Mike Busch's webinars, I believe Aeroshell 15W-50 is the one oil he does ... not ... recommend because he says it has too much synthetic oil and cannot adequately carry lead.  I believe he likes mono-grade oils like Aeroshell w80 or w100 or if you want multigrade he prefers the Phillips X/C 20w-50 because it contains no synthetic.

If you want to watch his webinar, here is a link:

http://www.eaavideo.org/video.aspx?v=1149666747001

Bob

• Like 2

I started using Camguard when my engine had about 400SMOH and had a sticky valve at the annual.  Nary a problem with sticking valves since then and my compressions are staying pretty stable.  For the cost it seems to me like a no brainer.

For lower use aircraft like most private ones, Aeroshell 15W50 would be my last choice. The semi-synthetic provides quick oil flow on start up, but the very same qualities make it run off of engine parts while sitting. Non synthetic oil like straight weight oils if your climate allows or Phillips 20W50 and Cam Guard seem to be best.

RAM Aircraft of Texas discourages synthetics: http://ramaircraft.com/Maintenance-Tips/Oil-Recommendations.htm

The only way to be sure of internal engine condition is removal of at least one cylinder, but it like dropping your pants in public, you're never sure what the reaction will be.

Clarence

Started using Camguard at 0 SMOH and I'll never stop using it! After seeing the guts of my engine during it's O/H 150 hours ago (yes, due to camshaft lobe failure caused by corrosion on the tappet faces), I am a firm believer in using Camguard. I run Phillips X/C 20W50 and Camguard at every oil change!

• Like 2