Folding Mooney M20C/E/F/J/K Bench seat

• 1 month later...

Hangar is cooled down so I thought I would start the mod.  I have 64 E, and access was rather easy.  After reading another post on folding seats and the expense of the STC I started looking into a little more.  I reallized that the seat back is also the luggage compartment forward bulkhead.  Because my plane does not have luggage tie downs, it means this must meet crash requirements.  The forward load in a passenger area is 9Gs.  Given that the weight capacity is 120 lbs, it means the 9G load is 1080 lbs on the seat back.  In simple math (I'm not a structural engineer), that is 270 per attachment point.  Most pins are not rated in tension.  I did find some that are, but because this goes through the aluminum seat back, I'm not sure it is quite enough.  I ended up with a hybrid, using the existing bolts with better access.  Not quite quick release, but I have to convince myself that pins would meet the load (I would like to use quick release, with push button and balls on the end, vs cotter pin). Maybe I'm being paranoid?  My IA side says this might be more than a simple mod if the crash load is considered.  Has anybody had similar input from their IA/Mechanic?  Don't get me wrong, I like the mod. and the instructions were great. 

"Because my plane does not have luggage tie downs"

Takair,

65 M20Cs have tie downs, are you sure that 64 M20Es do not? 

Adding tie downs would be a better solution...

than relying on the seat back to evenly adsorb a 9g impact of a 120 lb object and protect the occupants in front.  Calculating 270 Lbs. per attachment point is assuming even distribution with the object already pressed against the seat back prior to impact. 

Since your plane was delivered with seatbelts with no shoulder harnesses, I don't think the seat back was designed with that much thought and matching testing to prove it's value as impact protection.

Being safety conscious is not paranoia, but applying today's safety standards to 40+ year old planes is not a perfect fit either...

Best regards,

-a-

carusoam:

My 65 E does not have tie downs, so if you know of a 65 model that does, I would appreciate some photos.  That is a relatively easily rectified issue.  So long as the hardware meets spec, of course.

Bryan:

I pulled my carpet and there are about eight places where an appropriate bolt could be used to replace one there and affix the D ring for straps.  Clarence has done this before so it is not really a big deal, but the drawings sort of call for the same type of ring as the old tie-down eyes under the wings and I do not want that on the floor of my baggage compartment.

I want the type that everyone else has, nice and flat to the floor and connected to good webbing straps for cargo.  Just got to do it right, though.

Quote: piperpainter

I don't see why you have to put the ring like under the wing? I have normal bolts that go there. Thats how it was when I got the plane and it looks fine and I have a strap connected to it, looks good like anybody elses would!

• 7 years later...
Hello,

Has anyone done the folding rear seat mod as Piperpainter proposed about 8 yrs ago?

tks

Many years ago LASAR made up articulating hinges that let my rear seat fold flat to match the baggage compartment floor for my K model. Worked perfectly. I would take out the seats, fold the seatback down (with matching carpet to the baggage compartment)and form a long flat floor for my survival gear, life raft, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Bennett said:

Many years ago LASAR made up articulating hinges that let my rear seat fold flat to match the baggage compartment floor for my K model. Worked perfectly. I would take out the seats, fold the seatback down (with matching carpet to the baggage compartment)and form a long flat floor for my survival gear, life raft, etc.

I would be interested in these. Do they still exist?

I would be interested in these. Do they still exist?

I suggest you contact LASAR, or Paul Lowen (he now has his own Parts company). At this point I don’t know if it was done via a 337 form, or STC, or even if something as simple as an articulated hinge in an upholstery situation required paperwork.

• Like 1

Just now, Bennett said:

I suggest you contact LASAR, or Paul Lowen (he now has his own Parts company). At this point I don’t know if it was done via a 337 form, or STC, or even if something as simple as an articulated hinge in an upholstery situation required paperwork.

I will do so. Thanks,

• 11 months later...