what do you guys use to clean your windshields?

rbridges

I know it's a pretty basic question. Up to now, I've been using soap and water, but my CFI mentioned some stuff that may work like Rain-x. What is something that's definitely safe to use and works well? Do you guys go through Spruce or something from a local dept store?

We use Clearview plastic cleaner. Its 8$ a can, and half the price as Plexus but just as good. Its available at Spruce and other places. Also, only cotton or microfiber cloths, and wipe in one direction only, no circles. When we wash the plane, nothing touches the glass but water from the hose. Let it dry, spots and all, then clean it with Clearview.

We use Clearview plastic cleaner. Its 8$ a can, and half the price as Plexus but just as good. Its available at Spruce and other places. Also, only cotton or microfiber cloths, and wipe in one direction only, no circles. When we wash the plane, nothing touches the glass but water from the hose. Let it dry, spots and all, then clean it with Clearview.

This. To the letter. I use Rain Wipes microfiber towels and won't let one touch my glass if I've used it anywhere else. The reason for no circles is you'll see them when the sun hits it. .

I also use Clear View on my leading edges and cowling to get the bugs off.

Further on the towels, we have two bags, one clean and one dirty. We use the clean towel once, then put it in the dirty bag. All to eliminate the possibility of a dirty towel scratching the glass.

I use a microfiber towel that's dedicated for the windshield. Thanks for all the suggestions.

I love Wash-Wax All, use it everywhere but the windows. Red [degreaser] for the belly, Blue [regular] for the rest; Plexus for the windows. I buy white, all-cotton handtowels in bulk for the metal, and white, all-cotton washcloths for the windows. So far, so good. Use 'em til they are nasty and throw them out. Also use the washcloths with Mother's polish to keep the spinner shiny.

For what its worth, I've been using pledge on my aircraft windshields for years. I only use fresh clean (washed) microfiber towels, and use at least four clean towels for a windshield. I spray the Pledge on fairly liberally, and immediately wipe off the residue so it won't dry on the plastic. Can't prove it, but after doing this for a while, it seems to seal up the plastic, and fill in the tiny scratches and microscopic pits that accumulate over time - a least I can't see any swirls, and bugs just wipe off without effort. The airplane is kept in a hangar, and this helps a great deal as the sun only gets to the plastic when I am flying. Also, at the end of every flight I clean the windshield as above. I also use Pledge on my boat's dodger plastic, with the same excellent results.

I used to use Plexus and DuPont Sontara wipes (love those wipes! no lint, no scratches). I switched to Pledge, but it's "gooey" enough compared to Plexus that a Sontara wipe isn't as effective as a micro-fiber cloth. I like Plexus, but for me Pledge does just as good a job at a fraction of the price when used with the right cloth.

Costco carries bundles of the yellow micro-fiber cloths, so I just keep a big bag of clean ones in the hangar and a hamper for the used ones, and then run them through a long cycle in the clothes washer at home and send them back to the hangar. A little Aircraft Simple Green added to the wash cycle along with laundry detergent gets any grease right out of the cloths and they look & feel like new again.

The micro fiber cloths are also great for a quick "after flight" bug clean up on the leading edges, and the best stuff I've tried is Ardex HydroGloss, recommended by ArtCraft, the shop who painted the plane a couple of years ago. Similar to WashWaxAll, but cuts bugs better, and leaves a gorgeous shine on the finish that the next bug really doesn't stick to. Might make the airplane faster; who knows?

Another trick is to only wipe in a fore and aft direction on the window. No matter how careful we are, there are going to be scratches. Vertical ones don't seem to throw the sun in your eyes as much as horizontal ones.

Additionally, flushing dust off the window with water and a bare hand first works. The hand can feel when the water looses its lubricity and disengage.

• 2 weeks later...