Audio panel upgrade: PS Engineering vs Garmin?

I getting ready to perform a partial avionics upgrade on my '67 C model.  I've read good things about the PS-Engineering audio panels but have never flown with one.  I've got quite a bit of time behind a GMA-340 and don't have any major complaints.   The ancient Narco in my plane is another story however...

Anybody have good/bad experiences with PS-Engineering?

Thanks!

-Justin

Justin, I would definately be interested as well as I am getting ready to purchase either the 7000B or the Garmin GMA-340.  I know the 7000B is around 50 bucks cheaper....and supposedly can slide into where a KMA-24 was...all you would have to do is wire in the intercom.  What all are you looking to do to your panel??  

Right now, my plan is to install a PS-Engineering 8000B, which you can get gently used for about the price of a new GMA-340, but with quite a few more features.  Additionally, I'm looking at installing a GNS-430W for right now, with a deposit in on an Avidyne IFD440 with scheduled delivery in Fall of next year.

Unfortunately, it really woudn't be worth me doing TOO much to this plane as I'll likely upgrade to a J model in the next 5 years, but since I'm starting my instrument rating, I'd like to have better avionics that what I've got right now.  

When it's done I'd end up with a new audio panel, modern GPS/NAV/COMM, one of my old TKM MX11 Comms and my Narco Nav-122 serving as secodary nav/comm funcationality.  Although it isn't ideal, the Narco works well and does have ILS/LOC etc functionality and the cost of upgrading to a new nav/comm and CDI would cause a pretty big increase in my total cost.

I have a PS 7000B in '48Q.  It's been there for the last 4+ years, and I've been very happy with it.  Audio quality is good, the VOX works perfectly, and it handles everything I need it to do (and then some).

Quote: danb35

I have a PS 7000B in '48Q.  It's been there for the last 4+ years, and I've been very happy with it.  Audio quality is good, the VOX works perfectly, and it handles everything I need it to do (and then some).

When you do decide, and if your avionics guy is cool with it, have him wire in the audio entertainment aux port into a non-funtioning audio button.  My DME audio button has been renamed "Da Music/Entertainment button". The nice part is my music doesn't cut out when myself or ATC transmits.  And if things get too hectic with audio overload, I simply deselect the DME button.  Works great!

I have the Garmin 340 btw.  I love it.

post-4905-13468141147901_thumb.jpg

Quote: Mulro767

When you do decide, and if your avionics guy is cool with it, have him wire in the audio entertainment aux port into a non-funtioning audio button.  My DME audio button has been renamed "Da Music/Entertainment button". The nice part is my music doesn't cut out when myself or ATC transmits.  And if things get too hectic with audio overload, I simply deselect the DME button.  Works great!

I have the Garmin 340 btw.  I love it.

If you ARE going to get the IFD440, why wouldn't you get the AMX 240 to go along with it.  I'm pretty sure you have to have their audio panel to get the station ID to display on the IFD440 screen and you can listen to the standy frequency.

From avidyne's page:

Optimized for use with Avidyne Integrated Flight Displays (IFDs), the AMX240 enables Com Frequency decoding and Frequency Monitoring of the two transmit and four receive channels of the IFD’s Com audio.

Quote: carusoam

Ned,

Nice point about the phone connection.  My IFR flights start at an uncontrolled field carrying my cell phone against my ear.

I need a solution like you described...

Best regards,

-a-

I recently installed a new audio panel in my plane. I looked at the PS Engineering 8000B and the new Garmin GMA-350. Both had about the same features. I picked the Garmin because I found it a little easier to use. The Garmin has a dedicated playback button and was easier for me to program the audio inputs and intercom controls. Plus I had the Garmin SL-30 installed at the same time and planning on installing a Garmin GTN-650 in the future and wanted to have everything match. The PS Engineering 8000B is a little cheaper than the Garmin.  Both have more features than I will probably use.  I tried both units before I made up my mind. Both, the Garmin GMA-350 and the PS Engineering units work very well.   

For what it is worth, the Garmin folk at Oshkosh told me the 3-D audio upgrade would apply the GTN series (750 for sure) with the remote audio panel.. I've heard the 3-D effect, and it is not just a gimick. With it, simultaneously listening to ATC, ATIS, and passengers is clear, and easy to separtate the various voices. Glad to hear that Garmin has now incorporated the repeat, or replay feaure in their regular panel mount audio panel.  This was not the case two or three years ago, which is why I switched out the Garmin for the P.S.Engineering unit.  I don't think you can go wrong with either unit.