Baggage Door Inside Latch Mod (for Emergency exit)

PilotDerek

Derek,

Are you asking about the interior release for the baggage door?

Old planes don't have it newer ones do.  I remember the upgrade but don't know the details...

You might consider a call to the factory?

Hope this gets you closer.

-a-

I did the modification but I did it the easy way.  I obtained a baggage door from an Ovation.  We just changed 1/2 of the hinge on the airframe and swapped the doors.  The new door fit perfectly.  The locking mechanism worked without further modification and even the door seal was tight.  I doubt you could find a complete door.  I happened to find a crashed Ovagtion at a salvage yard 2 miles away from from me and they knew I was renovating my F model.  You could possibly get the parts and change the locking mechanism but this would mean reskinning the outside of the door as well.  My mod was done with DER approval and 337.

John Breda

The prior owner of my plane installed one.  It looks like he took the panel off the baggage door and attached a cable to the latch.  Then poked a hole through the door cover.  He then attached a ring to the small cable.  It's a pretty simple mod.

Pilot Derek--

Put this in the Google search window

Service Bulletin M20-239A

This is the service bulletin that explains the conversion to the new latch.

Better yet, here's the link:   http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CFYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fmooney.free.fr%2FMooney%2520SB%2520SI%2F239A.pdf&ei=Ez7dT5mwKcqe6QHA2d24Cw&usg=AFQjCNFj7N0R0jpkD39OXlAao2eWi9eD-w

Quote: M20F-1968

I did the modification but I did it the easy way.  I obtained a baggage door from an Ovation.  We just changed 1/2 of the hinge on the airframe and swapped the doors.  The new door fit perfectly.  The locking mechanism worked without further modification and even the door seal was tight.  I doubt you could find a complete door.  I happened to find a crashed Ovagtion at a salvage yard 2 miles away from from me and they knew I was renovating my F model.  You could possibly get the parts and change the locking mechanism but this would mean reskinning the outside of the door as well.  My mod was done with DER approval and 337.

John Breda

My "C" came with an internal latch handle.  Although it works fine, I doubt it is stock as the handle is out of a plumbing store.  There's no Form 337 filed for this modification.  Turn the handle 1/4 turn, the latch opens.  I can provide internal pictures if anyone wants to see the details.

post-410-13468141062936_thumb.jpg