Few M20 Questions

I'm new to the board as well to owning an M20E. The prior owner kept the airplane under an outdoor cover (like a T-Hanger without walls). Prior to that, the airplane was hangared.

At the present moment, a tie down is all I can afford. Which has me wondering. In heavy rains, how the the Mooney gas caps hold up against water? What about door seals, etc.?

Are there any known issues I should know about or am I worrying over nothing?

Check your fuel necks for materials of construction.  Older models are made of steal that will cause some difficulty.  Keep the plane covered.

Properly cared for door seals do not leak.  Windows on old Mooneys have been known to leak.

A few hundred euros is well spent on a cover.  

Cover and new seals will keep the water from getting in.

-a-

Re Gas Caps, I had a Beech Sundowner that uses the same caps.  I put new o-rings on the caps when they had sealing issues.  They are common (aircraft) sizes and there are 2 per cap. One big one on the outside and one small one on the actuator shaft.

Make sure you close the VENT when you park it to complete the seal of the roof !

BILL

Welcome to the forums! Congratulations on an excellent choice in aircraft.

With regards to the fuel caps, check to see that the O rings have been replaced at the last annual and then check the surface of the mating surface on the filler neck. If the rings are new and he neck is clear of rust pitting, you're probably good to go. If you really worry about it, you can always tape the cap over with blue masking tape.

A cabin cover will really help with leaky windows and door seals. If you don't have one, get one now. It will also help keep your interior looking good, your glass clear and deter criminals.

Other than that, get a hangar ASAP. This advice is not Mooney specific, I would say this for any metal, or wooden airplane.

You can check the gas cap seals by blowing air by mouth into the tank vent and having someone spray SD-20 around the cap checking for bubbles. Besides the door and window seals. Water can get in via the fuselage/wing mating fairing. None of the weather covers reach this area. Water leaking thru the fairing will drip into the structural tubing without wetting the carpet. A small bead of paint or silicon seal will insure no leak. Also if you have the factory windshield the access panel in front are subject to leak. Best way to seal them is with a light bead silicon seal underneath the panel and screws so they can be easily removed when needed.

José

My 1970 M-20G spends a lot of time outside and the only time I had an issue with fuel caps leaking is when a lineman didn't put one back on properly. I generally replace the fuel cap O-rings every annual.

I'd also highly recommend Bruce's Custom Covers: https://www.aircraftcovers.com/general-aviation-models/mooney/early-m20-series. A $450 cover is a very good investment and will cover all doors and windows and also help keep the cabin temperature down in hot weather (which helps prevent avionics problems).

I also use and recommend a Bruce's cover when I'm away from my hangar.   They are great for keeping the UV and heat out of the cabin, and especially the water.  Coincidentally I just got an email from them with a 10% coupon code (GEGNYQ) for the first 50 customers.  I also use their cowl plugs to keep birds out of the engine.  I think some of their covers will cover a large portion of the fuselage and onto the wings.

Fuel caps leak with old O-rings (there are TWO per cap) and if the caps aren't re-installed correctly after fueling.

Quote: KSMooniac

I also use and recommend a Bruce's cover when I'm away from my hangar.   They are great for keeping the UV and heat out of the cabin, and especially the water.  Coincidentally I just got an email from them with a 10% coupon code (GEGNYQ) for the first 50 customers.  I also use their cowl plugs to keep birds out of the engine.  I think some of their covers will cover a large portion of the fuselage and onto the wings.

Fuel caps leak with old O-rings (there are TWO per cap) and if the caps aren't re-installed correctly after fueling.