Mooney Pilot Proficiency Program

I'm interested in reading the training manual for the Mooney Pilot Proficiency Program. Since MAPA is no longer active, it's a course I can't enroll in or purchase the manual. Does anyone have a manual that they can share (legally, of course)? I understand there's some good info in the manual worth studying.

57 minutes ago, toto said:

I believe the Mooney Safety Foundation is still alive and kicking - separate from MAPA

https://www.mooneysafety.com/ppp-agenda/

Yes, I believe that's different from the MAPA MPPP program (although I may be mistaken) ... I won't be able to get to the MSF program until next year.

44 minutes ago, NickG said:

Yes, I believe that's different from the MAPA MPPP program (although I may be mistaken) ... I won't be able to get to the MSF program until next year.

I think it's the same. I need to go again, it's been a while since Niagara. Many of the people are the same.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Hank said:

I think it's the same. I need to go again, it's been a while since Niagara. Many of the people are the same.

That's great to know! I'll make the first one next year for sure.

@NickG It is not only the same organization and material, but there is some modernization of course over time.  I attended just this year, again.  

I flew to Santa Maria from Seattle in my Ovation, which is about the same distance as VGT to DFW, if you were interested in the Fort Worth event (18-20 Oct). 

23 minutes ago, Bolter said:

@NickG It is not only the same organization and material, but there is some modernization of course over time.  I attended just this year, again.  

I flew to Santa Maria from Seattle in my Ovation, which is about the same distance as VGT to DFW, if you were interested in the Fort Worth event (18-20 Oct). 

I'm more than interested but I I will likely be in annual then. Unless I can move it.......

4 hours ago, NickG said:

Since MAPA is no longer active,

MAPA may not be active but the Mooney Safety Foundation certainly is still around.  There's a "Contact" both at the top right and bottom center of their Website.  Shoot them a note and see if they'll sell you the manual at a greatly discounted price since you can't go to any of the PPPs.  

As for going... I couldn't make it to Santa Maria last spring, but hope to make it to Burlington, VT in September (though there may be some scheduling issues that may mess that one up too :(). 

https://www.mooneysafety.com/proficiency-programs/

Edited by PeteMc

7 minutes ago, PeteMc said:

MAPA may not be active but the Mooney Safety Foundation certainly is still around.  There's a "Contact" both at the top right and bottom center of their Website.  Shoot them a note and see if they'll sell you the manual at a greatly discounted price since you can't go to any of the PPPs.  

As for going... I couldn't make it to Santa Maria last spring, but hope to make it to Burlington, VT in September (though there may be some scheduling issues that may mess that one up too :(). 

Thanks, Pete. I'll do that.

1 hour ago, PeteMc said:

There's a "Contact" both at the top right and bottom center of their Website.  Shoot them a note and see if they'll sell you the manual at a greatly discounted price since you can't go to any of the PPPs.  

Unfortunately they are telling me there’s no way to buy the training manual without attending. Will have to wait until next year then.

@NickG, what are you trying to get out of the manual and/or classes?  I have been to several PPP sessions over the years and found them to be worthwhile, but if your goal is transition training, systems and operational procedures, and general familiarization in your Ovation, there are some great instructors on this forum like @donkaye or @mike_elliott who have structured programs tailored to the particular model. You would likely find time spent one-on-one with a Mooney expert CFI to be better use of your time.

You'd miss out on the social aspects of meeting a bunch of other Mooney pilots, but having known both Mike and Don for decades, I can assure you the are both great to be around.

I don’t think the PPP manual would be very useful on its own.  It’s like reading the slide deck without the benefit of a good presenter’s presentation.

Congrats on your new plane.

-dan

• Like 2

The Safety Foundation is still putting on four or five programs a year in different locations around the country. I went to Santa Maria. There are two left this year, in Vermont and in Texas. Great instructors.I have been five times, still learn something new each time. I agree I am not sure the manual would help much without the classes, more like a slide deck.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, exM20K said:

@NickG, what are you trying to get out of the manual and/or classes?  I have been to several PPP sessions over the years and found them to be worthwhile, but if your goal is transition training, systems and operational procedures, and general familiarization in your Ovation, there are some great instructors on this forum like @donkaye or @mike_elliott who have structured programs tailored to the particular model. You would likely find time spent one-on-one with a Mooney expert CFI to be better use of your time.

You'd miss out on the social aspects of meeting a bunch of other Mooney pilots, but having known both Mike and Don for decades, I can assure you the are both great to be around.

I don’t think the PPP manual would be very useful on its own.  It’s like reading the slide deck without the benefit of a good presenter’s presentation.

Congrats on your new plane.

-dan

Dan,

Probably just interested more than anything. I've had about 34 hours of transition training in my O and have now finally taken the initial training wheels off!  I'm in sponge mode.... trying to absorb everything I can to make me a better pilot and Mooney owner. I've been a bit unlucky... I was supposed to go to the Paso Robles fly in but a broken trim switch and stuck stall warning sensor had my bird in Mx over that week and my Nephew had the bad judgement to schedule his weeding over the PPP in Dallas in October! So looks like I'll have to wait until next year for the PPP.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NickG said:

...my Nephew had the bad judgement to schedule his weeding over the PPP in Dallas in October! So looks like I'll have to wait until next year for the PPP.

Tell your nephew to do his own damn weeding:D

• Haha 3

18 hours ago, PeteMc said:

Only a Mooney pilot says I missed the west coast event, so I'll consider hopping over to Vermont instead... :-)

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

7 hours ago, Bolter said:

Only a Mooney pilot says I missed the west coast event, so I'll consider hopping over to Vermont instead... :-)

Ya got me!!! :D 

And I'll through in a little extra jog to get Utah off my list, just because!!!!

Edited by PeteMc

On 7/12/2024 at 12:39 PM, NickG said:

Dan,

Probably just interested more than anything. I've had about 34 hours of transition training in my O and have now finally taken the initial training wheels off!  I'm in sponge mode.... trying to absorb everything I can to make me a better pilot and Mooney owner. I've been a bit unlucky... I was supposed to go to the Paso Robles fly in but a broken trim switch and stuck stall warning sensor had my bird in Mx over that week and my Nephew had the bad judgement to schedule his weeding over the PPP in Dallas in October! So looks like I'll have to wait until next year for the PPP.

You can also look at the instructors and see if there is one around you and get some training time from them.   I happen to have 2 around me and try to fly with them and take them to lunch.  Probably want to do several sessions since they have lots of information to share.

On 7/12/2024 at 1:48 PM, Bolter said:

Well some of us Mooney pilots made the west coast event even though we live in Minnesota.

• Like 2

Trying to get them to come to KSFF next year.  I think the PNW would be a GREAT place to have one in June or Sept!

ADDED: Be sure to go onto the Mooney Safety Foundation website and to go Contact (Top Right or the bottom of the page) and send in your comment!!

https://www.mooneysafety.com/

Edited by PeteMc
  • Like 3

As mentioned above there is a program in Burlington Vt in early September, does anyone know which hotel is being used, I just notified Lela I’d be in attendance. Beech has stopped doing there proficiency program hopefully we can get younger instructors involved so ours don’t meet the same fate.

D

9 hours ago, Danb said:

As mentioned above there is a program in Burlington Vt in early September, does anyone know which hotel is being used

You probably will need to reach out to them and via the Contact section on the Website is probably the easiest.  I don't think they usually add that info to the Website or anywhere else in case they have to change it.  You used to get the info when you registered, but maybe someone with the MSF is here and can share the info.  Or someone that has already registered.

Edited by PeteMc
  • Like 1

I usually contact Ralph  if I don’t know the arrangements 

As far as i know the hotel hasn’t been finalized yet but it will be very shortly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk