Any tips and tricks to break the hangar code in Broward County, FL?

Looking for Hangar, Covered parking or reasonable tie down space in the FLL area.  I've been dealing with the Sheltair Mafia and not making lot of progress.  I can range from Boca to North Perry.

Thanks in advance.

I would suggest going to the pilot lounge and the public leasing office. There are many sublets, and guys between planes that have open hangars. I’m at KAPF which had a three year waiting list, now five…

but my plane was on the ramp less than a week, I found a sublet until my number came up. Had to move a few times, but they are out there. 

• Like 1

I would suggest the same thing. Here, the city only rents a hangar when somebody dies. But there is so much subleasing and good old boy arrangements that if you know the right people a hangar can be had. At least temporarily. The temporary arrangements usually last a year or so and then you have to move. I know some people who have moved 2 or 3 times.

The city used to fight these arrangements, but they gave up and now only pursue evicting tenants with inactive hangars, which there are still quite a few. 

Interesting. Up here in Jacksonville FL at my airport (KHEG), the city keeps track of which airplane is in each hanger per the lease. Generally it does not take more than a month or two before they find out if you let someone else park their plane in your hangar and demand you remove it. Subleasing definitely not allowed and is policed actively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

8 hours ago, Hector said:

Interesting. Up here in Jacksonville FL at my airport (KHEG), the city keeps track of which airplane is in each hanger per the lease. Generally it does not take more than a month or two before they find out if you let someone else park their plane in your hangar and demand you remove it. Subleasing definitely not allowed and is policed actively.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It used to be that way here, but the hangar people finally won the war and the city takes a blind eye to it now. Actually the relationship between the hangar people and the city is much better now. The city gets paid more consistently and everybody is happy. If the city wants to know which airplanes are in which hangars, they know which hangar rats to ask.