TKS light flashing on 2000 Bravo

I recently purchased a 2000 Bravo with TKS(inadvertent icing not FIKI), I have tried the TKS twice and have the flashing light indicating low pressure. I have tried priming with the windshield but still getting the low pressure flashing light.Any advice what to check?

Alan

If the system has not been used in a while the panels have likely "dried out". You can try running the system a long time but the swifter and sure way is to purge the panels with a pressure pot at no more than 60 psi. You can build your own purge system and do it yourself , or you can go to a CAV service center and have them do it.

For starters take a sponge and squeeze tks fluid into the dead spots, run a couple of gal of fluid on high flow on a cold day, eventually the low pressure light will go off, thereafter run 5-10 min every month on high until you see even flow along the panels

• Like 2

Run the system for 10 minutes or so, and as @Fritz1noted above, try wetting the panels from the outside.  Are you getting fluid out of all the panels?

The low pressure sensor is in the vertical tail, pretty high above the pump. It is very sensitive.

it may be worthwhile anyway to get rid of the old fluid if it’s been in there for a while.  Try to capture some and check the pH against spec.  Old fluid can get acidic, which isn’t great for your metal plane.

-dan

• Like 1

It is worth reading the manual very carefully.  The pages in my pilot operating handbook had been very poorly photocopied so, very slow reading.  I believe there are multiple failures which are all noted by a LED.  

1) low pressure: dry membranes, dry panels, broken tubing, broken prop slinger, failing pump. 

2) High pressure: clogged TKS filter

My system used to take about ten minutes to prime, but after changing my filter $450 it primed this a couple of days ago, in about two minutes or less!

I have experienced a broken prop slinger (CAV told me to build an RTV, vibration damping cone on the replacement slinger), Make sure your prop has been dynamically Balanced!  I have had a nylon tube in the belly pull off.  It seemed that the tubing shrunk so I replaced the section with new and don't forget the super exotic "olives" which only come from CAV.  I had a filter clog.  Make sure you always run the system every month and prior to a possible ice encounter.  Good luck and CAV is very supportive.  

once the panels are properly wetted and the system has no leaks the low pressure light will go off on high after about 2 min at 70F, may take longer when ambient temp is higher. Aircraft with properly wetted panels will ooze fluid on the hangar floor whenever the ambient pressure drops, if aircraft stops oozing it is time to run the system and re-prime, kinda messy but the system really works reliably in moderate icing, panels are cleaned best with TKS fluid or water, the TKS fluid is not corrosive but washes away lubricant from whatever it touches, therefore it pays to put triflo on rod ends of flight controls and landing gear after running the system. In order to avoid this the monthly priming runs are best done on the ground. In spite of being not corrosive by itself the TKS fluid is to my best understanding hygroscopic, that means it absorbs water, I spent quite some time sealing the belly pan so the TKS fluid does not splash in there any more. During annual it is a good idea to find where TKS fluid gets into the tail, which is unavoidable, wipe everything dry and lube anything that moves, make sure the trim jackscrew is covered and well lubed

5 hours ago, Patrick Horan said:

I am having this issue on my FIKI bravo. Fluid is coming out of the wing. But it is still flashing. When I am home, I will run the pump for 10 mins

If the fluid is warm, this is not uncommon.

Premier in FXE used to keep some in a fridge to test systems.

-dan

15 hours ago, Fritz1 said:

In spite of being not corrosive by itself the TKS fluid is to my best understanding hygroscopic, that means it absorbs water, I spent quite some time sealing the belly pan so the TKS fluid does not splash in there any more. During annual it is a good idea to find where TKS fluid gets into the tail, which is unavoidable, wipe everything dry and lube anything that moves, make sure the trim jackscrew is covered and well lubed

Fresh TKS fluid is not corrosive.  Older fluid becomes acidic.

23 hours ago, CAV Ice said:

Typically, in Mooney's, if the OAT is 59 degrees Fahrenheit or above you can get a low-pressure indication due to the viscosity of the fluid. @amekler I sent you a PM.

Thank you CAV!!! When I get home I'm going to prime the pump and run it for 10 mins. 

I only have 1.2 gallons of fluid in the tank. Will the light come on when I'm low?

@Patrick Horan the level of fluid in the tank is not associated with any high or low-pressure warning (unless you completely run out of fluid).  Low pressure warnings typically occur in warmer weather or if there is line disconnected in the system. 

The easiest way to drain the tank is to disconnect the 3/8" line, which runs from your main pump to the strainer (see images). 

Mooney strainer.png

Mooney strainer(1).png

17 hours ago, CAV Ice said:

@Patrick Horan the level of fluid in the tank is not associated with any high or low-pressure warning (unless you completely run out of fluid).  Low pressure warnings typically occur in warmer weather or if there is line disconnected in the system. 

The easiest way to drain the tank is to disconnect the 3/8" line, which runs from your main pump to the strainer (see images). 

Mooney strainer.png

Mooney strainer(1).png

Thank you! 

On 2/4/2024 at 12:28 PM, Patrick Horan said:

I am having this issue on my FIKI bravo. Fluid is coming out of the wing. But it is still flashing. When I am home, I will run the pump for 10 mins

I see you are in Arizona - I believe its the fluid is too thin at warmer temps.  When I run it on the ground in the summer- I get low pressure flashing.  So if I want to exercise the system in the summer I only do so in the air at a sufficiently high altitude that its quite cool.  In the winter you can run it on the ground if its like near freezing.  So in the summer Im running it at least every month just to keep it in good shape, and in the winter Im running it on the ground while taxiing to fly to pre prime the system in case I might run into ice while punching through a layer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Patrick Horan said:

I'm just hoping the previous owner just hasn't used the tks in a while and I just needs to be re-primed

Start by running the windshield pump 3-4 times.  This pulls fluid from your tanks through the main metering pump(s).  This primes your main pump.  If you are having issues with dry spots on the panels let me know. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CAV Ice said:

Start by running the windshield pump 3-4 times.  This pulls fluid from your tanks through the main metering pump(s).  This primes your main pump.  If you are having issues with dry spots on the panels let me know. 

Thank you!