Fuel Cap Strap...Should it be There?

Lax291

So looking through my logbooks I saw an entry which referenced removing the fuel cap straps (don't have in front of me so can't reference the AD#). So thought it was odd to see the plastic straps attached to both caps. Anyone know if these are OK or if they should be removed?  1990 M20J. 

20231207_101949.jpg

Thanks for the link to the SB and to the new straps.  This is where I think it confuses me, someone pointing out the SB that says to remove (even though I don't believe it's mandatory?) and then someone pointing out to new straps.  

Maybe I should have made a poll of who has the straps still attached.

14 minutes ago, Lax291 said:

Thanks for the link to the SB and to the new straps.  This is where I think it confuses me, someone pointing out the SB that says to remove (even though I don't believe it's mandatory?) and then someone pointing out to new straps.  

The SB I linked references the AD that makes it mandatory (AD 97-26-08 just below the subject line in the SB).  Here's the AD.

https://drs.faa.gov/browse/excelExternalWindow/3663F2D3749FE48286256A8F006C5ED6.0001

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lax291 said:

Pragmatically they are not very useful even if we ignore the problem of fouling the fuel float.

Think about how you might lose a fuel cap.

1. You or someone fuels the plane, puts the cap on but forgets to push the tab/lock down and you miss it in the preflight.
    1. You take off
    2. Your cap will come off as you roll down the runway with the air creating lift over the wing.
      1. If you have the original stainless steel chain (which is strong) your cap will be flopping around potentially beating the crap out of your wing until you land.
      2. However, if there is no lanyard, the cap will be right on the runway or next to it - Trust me - this personally happened to me (also another post below of same).
        1. The airport found my cap which was completely undamaged.
  2. Alternatively if the tab on the cap pops up in flight (note - I have never heard of this happening because the airflow naturally pushes it down)
    1. The cap may flop around chipping and denting your wing
    2. The lanyard will eventually break before you can land
    3. You will have a real lose-lose situation - potentially chipped wing and no cap   $$

That plastic lanyard doesn't look like it will foul the fuel float.  But it also doesn't look like it has much strength to hold the cap in airflow.  I suspect that if you forget to lock the tab on take off that the plastic lanyard will allow it to bash the wing a few times and then break.  The cap will likely be lost outside the runway

Here is another one, without a lanyard that was found by the airport personel

• Like 1

The captain once left the fuel dipstick on the wing walk of the DC-3 once (I mean really, how much stuff can you put on a checklist before it becomes a checkbook?) We called the departure airport after landing and they drove out on the runway and found it. 

Once while taking off I had to dodge a Maule tailwheel left on the runway at Merrill Field in Anchorage. 

So, apparently, lots of stuff falls off airplanes and gets left behind on runways.:)

• Like 4

I took off the other day in my C-140 and right at takeoff heard a banging, kicked it out of trim and the banging stopped, obviously something was loose, quick check verified it wasn’t the seat belt. Flew the pattern and landed.

Checked everything, couldn’t find anything it could be. Eventually looked on top of the wings, and yes there was the cap hanging by its metal chain.

No marks or dents, but sure sounded like something was getting torn up.

Was on a long (several days) cross country with a buddy in his airplane.    When we were tying down at the first overnight stop we noticed one of the fuel caps had been left at the previous airport.    D'oh.

Since then we both carry spare caps and I do a pre-start walk-around that doesn't touch anything, but looks at things like fuel caps are present, no cowl plugs, no pitot cover, no flat tires, oil hatch closed, etc., etc.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lax291 said:

Thanks to all the comments, recommendations, and references to SB and AD's. I can see now that losing a cap is preferable over one leashed but battering the wing. I'll be clipping the straps tomorrow. 

Good move since it's an AD ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, EricJ said:

Was on a long (several days) cross country with a buddy in his airplane.    When we were tying down at the first overnight stop we noticed one of the fuel caps had been left at the previous airport.    D'oh.

Since then we both carry spare caps and I do a pre-start walk-around that doesn't touch anything, but looks at things like fuel caps are present, no cowl plugs, no pitot cover, no flat tires, oil hatch closed, etc., etc.

That use to be the USAF technique as well.  Do the walk around, then walk 20-30 paces in front of the airplane and look it over from in front of the nose while you strapped on your parachute harness leg straps and zipped up your G suit. Look for red streamers, leaks, missing panels, etc from much further back than the walk around.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, EricJ said:

I lay in bed at night worrying about things that can go wrong.  I bought a spare cap.  I have four, but if I somehow lose just one, I can keep going.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, PT20J said:

Is stealing fuel caps common in Canada?

It's not pilots that steal them. It's Canadian moose that are bored that like to play practical jokes on pilots and then watch them duct tape two tennis balls to their wing. They later have their friend Rocky sell the caps on Ebay. :)

• Haha 2