2023 AirVenture Lindy Award

Skates97

My wife and I had a great time at Air Venture. After having the plane painted I decided to have it judged this time around and we came away with the Lindy Award for Outstanding Mooney in the Contemporary (1956-1970) Category! :)

More pics over on the (newly redesigned )blog.

https://intothesky.com/2023/07/30/oshkosh-2023-in-the-books-with-an-award/

Award.jpg.f77e340bc5d52890ea8e10c5020d0535.jpg

• Like 18

9 minutes ago, EricJ said:

Nicely done!    And that's a well-planned route out and back!

Thanks, started up to OGD to see my wife's daughter and granddaughter. Then had to land in KRAP to check that off the list. Detour to fly the Chicago skyline and then spend a couple of days in Illinois at some church history sites before turning west towards home. Further details  on the trip in coming posts in the next couple weeks.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Skates97 said:

Thanks, started up to OGD to see my wife's daughter and granddaughter. Then had to land in KRAP to check that off the list. Detour to fly the Chicago skyline and then spend a couple of days in Illinois at some church history sites before turning west towards home. Further details  on the trip in coming posts in the next couple weeks.

How was the eastbound route and ride across the mountains in Utah?  I’m planning a Sep flight from SOCAL to MN and I’m thinking about going through El Paso.  I’m more familiar with that route and the summer weather but it’ll add a couple of hours to the trip.  

7 hours ago, Skates97 said:

My wife and I had a great time at Air Venture. After having the plane painted I decided to have it judged this time around and we came away with the Lindy Award for Outstanding Mooney in the Contemporary (1956-1970) Category! :)

Registration number doesn't match your info block.

7 hours ago, Skates97 said:

Congratulations Richard. Beautiful paint job. I always thought of painting my plane using the original paint scheme, and making a few minor changes from original, like you have done.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Richard’s paint scheme is stunning, but it doesn’t look anything like the original 1965 scheme to me.  

OOPS! My bad. It looks like my paint scheme (1986) If and when I paint my plane, I was thinking of keeping the original paint scheme with a few changes

17 hours ago, EricJ said:

KRAP is original home-town territory for me, and I see you hit Sedona, too, so that's a good loop!

Just went past Sedona, didn't land on this trip.

17 hours ago, DCarlton said:

How was the eastbound route and ride across the mountains in Utah?  I’m planning a Sep flight from SOCAL to MN and I’m thinking about going through El Paso.  I’m more familiar with that route and the summer weather but it’ll add a couple of hours to the trip.  

Fly it in the morning and it isn't a big deal. The afternoon flight from SoCal to Ogden was bumpy as it always is in the summer. We left Ogden in the morning and the flight across eastern Utah and Wyoming was smooth. Happy to chat about it if you would like. I'll send you my cell number in a PM.

10 hours ago, Fly Boomer said:

Registration number doesn't match your info block.

Forgot to update that on MS when I changed the tail number.

4 hours ago, MikeOH said:

Looks like he's in the process of changing the N-number per the FAA registry site.

Yep, used to be 78878 which got butchered by ATC constantly. Too many 7's and 8's. Met my wife on 10/15 and coincidentally took my PPL check ride on 10/15 seven years later. Then I just had to find a letter to stick on the end of N1015. It took them almost 7 months from the time they received my paperwork to get me the forms to change the number. I submitted that back to them about 5 months ago so maybe they will complete it soon. Flight aware still has the N-Number as a 1966 Beech 58.

10 hours ago, bluehighwayflyer said:

Richard’s paint scheme is stunning, but it doesn’t look anything like the original 1965 scheme to me.  

Not sure what the 1965 scheme looked like. The stripes are close to what it was when I bought it, but it may have been changed along the way.

image.png.d8bbdb0ae00f2038f145aef681f59cce.png

10 hours ago, ta2too said:

OOPS! My bad. It looks like my paint scheme (1986) If and when I paint my plane, I was thinking of keeping the original paint scheme with a few changes

I had the same thinking. I wanted to keep the feel of the older straight stripes, add color to the leading edge, and put the logo on the tail. I like the straight stripes on the short bodies.

image.png.1e93c2e6b0a41c6673636e1d45c5d783.png

Jim, that was essentially like the C I grew up in, except the reddish color was brown on our plane!  Along with the hottest brown vinyl interior one can imagine... you could hear your skin sizzle on a TX summer day.  The curtains didn't help much, either.  :D

On 7/31/2023 at 12:05 AM, Skates97 said:

Richard,

Congratulations.  Russell Stallings said to me in the middle of my F model project that the paint job makes a Show Plane.  I won the same Outstanding Mooney award in 2018 and then came back in 2019 and won a Lindy Award - Best Class II Single Engine (161-230 HP).  I had no idea whether my plane would place at all.  I just did the work with attention to detail.  You can enter again if you are competing for a higher award than you have already won.

John Breda

Lindy Award - 2019-2.jpeg

Lindy Award - 2019-1.jpeg

Outstanding Mooney-2018.jpeg

MAPA-1997.jpeg

Oshkosh-2018-1.jpeg

Oshkosh-2018-2.jpeg

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, M20F-1968 said:

Richard,

Congratulations.  Russell Stallings said to me in the middle of my F model project that the paint job makes a Show Plane.  I won the same Outstanding Mooney award in 2018 and then came back in 2019 and won a Lindy Award - Best Class II Single Engine (161-230 HP).  I had no idea whether my plane would place at all.  I just did the work with attention to detail.  You can enter again if you are competing for a higher award than you have already won.

John Breda

MAPA-1997.jpeg

Oshkosh-2018-1.jpeg

Oshkosh-2018-2.jpeg

John,

I have always admired the restoration/modifications you have done to your plane. It is beautiful. My wife and I were planning to do something different next year for a flying vacation but we might head back to Osh for a couple days. We'll see.

11 hours ago, M20F-1968 said:

Richard,

John Breda

MAPA-1997.jpeg

Oshkosh-2018-1.jpeg

Oshkosh-2018-2.jpeg

John, the exterior pictures of your plane show only half of the incredible restoration and modification work done!

3 hours ago, ta2too said:

John, the exterior pictures of your plane show only half of the incredible restoration and modification work done!

The rest is shown on my Album page...

I have many, many more pictures detailing the work done in each stage of the rebuild.  Sometimes I use them to remind myself what is hidden.

John Breda

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Skates97 said:

John,

I have always admired the restoration/modifications you have done to your plane. It is beautiful. My wife and I were planning to do something different next year for a flying vacation but we might head back to Osh for a couple days. We'll see.

There is always more to do if you want to.  I was pretty much forced to do it all at once because when I bought the plane it was apart, no nose, interior out, after-market panel which was useless, etc...  I needed to strip everything out and build an airplane in a hangar.  To be honest, I expected a 2-3 year project.  It went on much more than expected.  When you modify a flying airplane you can control how much you do all at once.

John Breda

On 7/31/2023 at 12:10 AM, DCarlton said:

Did that last week in my E. Over 100* 2 of the 3 take offs. Piece of cake. 

Photo_2023-07-28_10-22-03_PM.png

• Like 2