Wing Jacks

smccray

Mike,

I purchased the safety collars from McMaster Carr as you suggested and they work great. They were a bit over 10 bucks because I purchased the extra grip version. I used 1-1/8" inner diameter for the wing jacks and 1-3/8" inner diameter for the engine hoist.

PS: It is amazing to see how fast corrosion sets in the jacks after a few days of cold humidity. I will be treating those with Corrosion X as well ;)

I purchased them one size smaller than the jack shaft as the jacks shafts I had are not a normal size and then machined them out to the exact size. I was curious about how much it would take to make them slip so I took one of them to work and put in on one of the presses in our lab. The press has a load cell and distance measurement built into it. With the bolts torqued to 45 ft lbs it took around 5000lbs for force for the collar began to move on the shaft. That matched up pretty closely with the calculated values using metal hardness and clamping force.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased my tail stand for use during my annual but after looking at mine I was able to replicate it for a friend and only spent 30 bucks in materials ;)

I don't get your stand. Where is the stand part of the stand? What do the all thread bars connect to? :huh:

I don't get your stand. Where is the stand part of the stand? What do the all thread bars connect to? :huh:

The threaded rods are placed on the bottom of a large aluminum bucket an then filled with cement for weight. When the cement dries, the rods serve as anchors inside the cement.

Are you using this as a way of lifting the nose, or only to stabilize the tail while using another nose lift method.

It is used as a tail weight if you jack the aircraft without an engine hoist or as a stand if you use an engine hoist. Below is a picture but review earlier posts on this thread and you will see my other pics. the engine hoist method is rock solid.

0b70f636311fcda6a5dc9b903b7f73ec.jpg

• 3 years later...
On 12/21/2014 at 4:11 PM, isaacpr7 said:

I ran into another issue. I installed the LASAR jack point and it fits like a glove; however, the thread on the other wing is too large for the jack point. It looks like someone installed an oversized eye bolt in the past as a tiedown ring. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I just ordered the LASAR SS tie down jack points.  I hope it goes smoothly on my 64c.....nothing seems to be just plug and play...