Need help identifying fasteners

I am in need of replacing the the battery access cover on my 67-68 F model.  The straight slots are so worn out they need to be replaced.  I come up with two numbers: 2-0-100 and 82-32-101 but what are they and who sells them,   I'd like to convert them to Philips or torx if possible 

1 hour ago, Dream to fly said:

I am in need of replacing the the battery access cover on my 67-68 F model.  The straight slots are so worn out they need to be replaced.  I come up with two numbers: 2-0-100 and 82-32-101 but what are they and who sells them,   I'd like to convert them to Philips or torx if possible 

Do some searching, we have talked about this a zillion times.

I like the slots because during preflight, a quick glance shows that they are all secure because all the slots are lined up. with Philips, there is no easy way to tell. Besides, that is not what the parts manual calls out (now taking my IA hat off)

10 minutes ago, N201MKTurbo said:

Do some searching, we have talked about this a zillion times.

I like the slots because during preflight, a quick glance shows that they are all secure because all the slots are lined up. with Philips, there is no easy way to tell. Besides, that is not what the parts manual calls out (now taking my IA hat off)

I have to laugh you couldn't resist.  Great so slotted fasteners are the right way then! Now fast forward to the 21st we do have better options that with an indexing dot or slot can be a better option.  I'll buy the beer and help you hook up the amp meter to the incandescent light circuit:) 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Dream to fly said:

How is it that you can not see that somethings are better if moved to the new standard.  I honestly don't get it.  I understand and fully comprehend that parts should not be compromised and swapping parts for less quality is a bad idea.  However there are better fasteners, batteries, lights, alloys, materials that are light years better then these planes were ever intended on being made of and if used would and do make them better.  Straight slots agreed are a great visual  but they strip by way of the screw driver slipping and then there is paint damage.   How can you accept as an AP/IA that technology of yester year is good for today when there is far better to utilize and achieve far better results? So how do you torque valve covers?  If you are using a straight slot adapter on a torque wrench how do you compensate for the downward push you have to maintain contact on the head not to slip while tightening?  E-torx, Inverted 12 point, and even hex head all eliminate that compensation error.  Why would you not make the change?  I am not trying to build a new plane I like the design, but as I have to trudge thru this albatross I would like to make it more serviceable and easier to inspect and repair.  I just got the plane inspected and signed off for annual after paying three separate AP/IAs to come in and do a complete annual.  I paid three separate people and I'll even pay for you and your expenses to come and inspect the plane and find fault in what has been done.  Everyone of them could only find a wire tie or that the paint color on the cowl is a few shades off.   None of them could fault with what has been done and I asked them to be ruthless and pick it apart.  All noted that all requirements had been met above and beyond and that other than the documentation and a battery box vent that is poor from previous inspections it was a solid airworthy plane.    

When an annual inspection is done, it is to assure that the plane conforms to the type certificate. That means that it is the same as it was when manufactured. If there are any changes to the design they must approved by a Supplemental Type Certificate or other other approval from the administrator (field approval). 

A lot of people do a lot of stuff and it slips by. but to be airworthy, all the parts must conform, including those fasteners. If you want to improve your plane without doing the required paperwork, you should convert it to experimental.

This can go around and around.  All I was asking for was the identity of what they are and where to get them because the numbers I get from the parts manual are not identifiable by the few sources I can find that supply fasteners like them and NEWER models don't use straight slots.   So let me do what I have seen so many smart people do and use a Dremel and deepen the slot.  Gee, metal removal but the part number is correct!!  !You obviously are correct and there can be no substitute!   All the planes of yester year have to be as built cause without paperwork the lift will fail.  Imagine if I changed the cam profile to be optimally correct and able to withstand rotational wear.

This is like sorting pepper and fly shit.  I’d love to see an inspector ground a plane because it has a Phillips stud versus a slotted.  By this metric most planes would be grounded because they have stainless screws in the inspection covers instead of the steel ones listed in the IPC.

Clarence

Great that thread does not cover what I have.  What I have is NOT what is on the plane parts list.  I have the correct numbers as per the my first post but they do not cross to what is already there.   My diameters are way smaller at .125.   Unless the GOD of AP/IA the last 20 years didn't address the OBVIOUS.  According to you the plane is not capable of flying with the wrong parts so something else must be amiss.  I have tried to find the cross as to the numbers per LION and SOUTHCO and 82-11-100 is bigger than what I have.  So drilling a panel to the next size to fit the new style according to you is unacceptable because it wasn't built that way.    As for arguing you brought this fight public I messaged you privately take it up a notch lets go!  Bring it! 

4 minutes ago, M20Doc said:

This might help,  if you look closely at the head of the old fastener, there is a number, this is the length you need, typically -100 length, -82 diameter.

Clarence

3CF791C7-77F2-4979-89BA-F98A1E73AB95.jpeg

Thank you! I have the 82 spec but what I have is smaller and I can't find what I have on the plane for the past 25+ years.    My guess is the panel was replaced and the holes drilled are smaller so moving forward after a day of frustration is drilling the holes to fit 82 series legal?   I would think that a panel that fits securely and meets all retention details would be acceptable to most.