New Paint Job at Tejas

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are the new layouts of the wing stripes.  We widened the stripe slightly from the first layout allowing the secondary stripe to give more of a ribbon effect.  I have to say that Chris is a true artist to be able to this all by hand and make the slightest changes that we discuss on the phone.  Thanks Chris!

Aaron

post-170-13468137468013_thumb.jpg

post-170-13468137469097_thumb.jpg

post-170-13468137469677_thumb.jpg

silly question...

I have been looking at having my 1967 Mooney M20F repainted. My mechanic and the previous owner have both said I should delay it as much as possible. My M20F has the original beige/orange paint scheme , and is definitely tatty in some places , mainly leading edge and wingtips, but is otherwise in OK condition. However I am told the painting process could remove some of the anti corrosion film , and also introduce corrosion with moisture getting trapped between the metal panels where they are riveted.

Is there any truth in this or is it merely an old wives tale? I have on the contrary thought that a bare metal respray allows you to spot corrosion quickly and rejuvenate the airframe and protect it with fresh paint. I am however getting accustomed to my 1960s Mooney look! definitely has a classic look...

I agree with Jim.  A quality job will completely strip the paint down to bare aluminum, find & correct any corrosion, and then alodine the aluminum for better protection and paint adhesion.  Then comes the primer and color coats.  If you are really worried about the lap joints, then you could always follow-up with an internal corrosion treatment like Corrosion-X or Boeshield or whatever you like.  Those materials are sprayed/fogged inside the structure, and they will coat the airframe and leech into the joints for maximum protection.

Final Score LSU 20, GA 13...  I have made two fuel stops since the paint job...  First one at KDWH and was met at the self serve fuel tanks by a guy that walked out to look at my plane and asked if I was a pilot for LSU.  Then second stop was at Foley, AL and was treated like royalty by the folks at Lamberts because the van driver/manager of the cafe told everyone about my LSU plane.  Departed Foley for St. Pete and enjoyed the LSU GA game on XM.  Nice opening day for the newly registered N207LS (thank god for XM Radio in the plane, as I was listening as I was flying home, but had to keep flying over the beach to hear the final score of the game before landing)... 

Okay, here is the final result.  I am elated with the results, Mike, Chris, and all the folks at Tejas are real pros.  They exceeded my expectations and if I had it to do all over again, I can truly say, that I would not have changed anything other than waiting so long to have my plane painted.  If you demand perfection, then this is the best paint shop in the country.  I really can't say enough about the positive experience.  I truly believe that they are the best and I LOVE MY PAINT JOB!  Thank you Tejas!!!

Aaron

post-170-13468137535829_thumb.jpg

post-170-13468137540891_thumb.jpg

post-170-13468137543716_thumb.jpg

post-170-13468137546972_thumb.jpg

post-170-1346813754907_thumb.jpg

post-170-13468137551137_thumb.jpg

post-170-13468137553384_thumb.jpg

post-170-13468137554539_thumb.jpg

Gary, 

I will be in Key West next weekend for a wedding on Saturday (because a friend of mine has no concept of LSU Football and actually decided to get married on the best college football weekend of the year)...  Needless to say, I will be watching the game (most likely at Jack Flats Sports Bar on Duval St.).  Don't worry, unless you plane on wearing Blue and Orange, as LSU just finds a way to win... This season looks a lot like 2007 where we won four of our games in the final 3 minutes of the fourth quarter...

The official record of N207LS is 1-0 against SEC opponents!

Aaron