201 Window Modification for M20C

Has anyone compared the SWTA window modification to the factory modification sold by Lasar? Do they look the same? What about access to the instrument panel? I am considering a 201 window modification to my M20C and have not decided which type of window to install.

I have the SW Texas mod on my aircraft and do not have outside access to the avionics.  This is my single largest complaint (or I should say the Avionics Installers complaint).  This really created a lot of extra work when I re-did my panel.  Other than that it is fine though. 

Best of luck.

Aaron

Upside down in the footwell while trying to work on the panel is a horrible experience.

The experience:  First you remove the seats.  Your legs and butt hang out the door,  you place as much cushion as you can find on the door sill to pad your back, your torso and head are down hill in the foot well, you've placed your tools exactly where you need them, because there is not enough room to turn and look for them when your are in position.  Then you realize you still can't see what you went in there to work on.  Now you want to get the mirror and pen light.  Try and back out of the down hill position that you stuffed yourself into.

Each time you drop a tool, or a fastener, it bounces off your head first and then dissappears somewhere next to your ears.  You can't move your arms around freely because the footwell is not big enough to let your elbows bend.

I'm sure you get the idea...

If someone else does your panel work all of the time, it's probably not an issue.  If your panel isn't 40+ years old it isn't an issue.  If your hydraulic cherry juice doesn't leak, it isn't an issue.  I always seemed to find a reason to go back there to see, fix or fill.  (with mechanic approval, where necessary, of course)

My M20C had the single piece windshield in the position of the original windshield. 

Outside access is a beautiful thing.  I suppose the look and speed of a sloped J windshield is nice also.

I have the one piece window mod and it looks better than having the split window and I still have complete access to my avionics. I am not sure what the mod is called other than a single piece windshield. Doesn't really add that extra 1-3 MPH or anything. I know I wouldn't want to ever give up access to the avionics, its so nice when it comes to annuals and changing/inspecting things in the back of the panel! Good luck with your decision!

Jim,

My mod looks just like the photos that you have, however both of the access plates are located in front of the firewall, so therefore there is no access to the avionics.  I will snap a couple of photos and put them into this post when I am at the airport today.  I did not install my mod, as it was installed on my plane in 1998 and I didn't purchase the plane until 2005.

Aaron

The 201 W/S mod on the pre-J planes is definitely a tradeoff in speed and aesthetics for MX access.  I love the look and the extra speed, but after having spent a few hours on my back contorted in bad positions working on the panel, I can understand why someone would not want to do it.  If I had a pre-J plane, I think I would still go for it, but time the mod to coincide with any major panel upgrades so I could fix the panel up with the W/S completely out, including as much of a checkout as possible on the ground, and then put the mod on and hope the need to monkey behind the panel is minimized in the future since the new stuff was just installed.

With the glareshield off, though, there is quite a bit more access over the top than there is in the earlier planes.  Removing gyros and such isn't too bad, actually.  Installing new wires is a PITA though.

It does not seem to follow that the SWTA access is in front of the fire wall. THat conversion is ment to be able to access the instruments through the 2 front access panels.  All the articles I have read say the is instrument access through the 2 access panels.  The SWTA installation does not look as neat as the OEM Mooney installation sold by Lasar, however the SWTA access panels is a major advantage.  Therefore my question to all is if anyone has seen both types of installations - which one are preferred. 

Thanks  RGaines

Its funny, I have really been looking into this whole idea of a 201 2 window from SWTA and the example by Paul ( N3506X ) And  I am now thinking that would be really nice to have before I paint my plane in the spring! I need to change the windshield anyway, might as well go all out right! hmmmmmm!!!!??!

Quote: rgaines

It does not seem to follow that the SWTA access is in front of the fire wall. THat conversion is ment to be able to access the instruments through the 2 front access panels.  All the articles I have read say the is instrument access through the 2 access panels.  The SWTA installation does not look as neat as the OEM Mooney installation sold by Lasar, however the SWTA access panels is a major advantage.  Therefore my question to all is if anyone has seen both types of installations - which one are preferred. 

Thanks  RGaines

I have a M20C with the 201W/S mod and it has no access panels, during this years annual I was very pleased to discover the hydraulic res. is accessible through a hydraulic fitting conveiniently located on the firewall. This was a huge help when topping off the res. after rebuild of the brake cylinders and flap pump. I would think any of the mod shops could provide this when doing a 201 W/S mod.

Well I already have the cowl closer, wing roots, flap gap seals, single piece belly & inboard flap hinge covers. I've thought about the tail ones, and maybe the aileron one but I don't know I need to get the paint job, and the more I add the less I have for that! I am almost sure i'll be happy with the window. And I plan to document it all just as I did when I replaced my side windows!

Well I made my decision too.  I purchased the SWTA 201 window modification but also purchased from SWTA the Mooney window cowl retainer as we believe it will fit and look better than the fiberglass one from SWTA.  I also purchased a variety of other modifications from LASAR (want to spread the business around) and also purchaed a new 406 ELT which we all will need later. Installing it at this time will permit me to install same under the new dorsal fin modification.  

I'd think carefully before putting the ELT under the dorsal fin...I had the same debate since I've got a new dorsal fin from LASAR too that is going to be installed at the paint shop this week.  I know Mooney put out a SB or something showing how/where to install an ELT antenna, but if you go read the specs for the antenna, it says it must be oriented within +/-15 degrees of perpendicular from the ground plane (tail skin in our case).  If you put it under the dorsal, it will be bent and run essentially parallel to the skin, and that will all but ruin it's transmission capability.  That is obviously not what you want if you crash somewhere, so for, it is better to leave the antenna outside.

I'd bet a dollar that Mooney did not test the radiation patterns/strength of an ELT with the antenna under the dorsal...

I've done it! I too have now purchased the 201 window modification kit! I also found out they no longer sell the lens cover for the landing light. I was hoping for that one it would have been the cheapest mod on the plane i think haha! Thankfully I wont be home for 2 months cause they are out of the window kits for the next 30 days. But i'll have it by November waiting my arrival :)

• 4 months later...

So those that have the 201 window modification how do you like it? Really, how is the access? Do you have any pictures? SWTA hasn't had plastic for months and I am getting paint in less than 2 months so I want this done. About to buy the LASAR 201 window mod. Might be before i get enough answers but id like the input. I have a 65 C

I can't vouch for whose parts were used [it was done two owners ago], but I really like the 201 windshield. Here are some pictures of my '70-C for comparison. Great visibility! The access panels give good visibility and decent instrument access if your hands are small [typical Mooney, right?] Compare the windshield top to the side window, then look at it head on. I think you'll like it.

post-54-13468137748529_thumb.jpg

post-54-13468137750012_thumb.jpg

post-54-13468137751068_thumb.jpg

post-54-1346813776778_thumb.jpg