Altitude change monitoring....

carusoam

Topic brought on by another thread regarding Altitude Pre-select...

What is everyone using to keep track of altitude changes?  (or more specifically, reminder to level off)

The one thing, as John Green pointed out, changing altitude can turn into an easy bust while climbing at 500 - 1,000 fpm through steps given by ATC.

The first 20 minutes of climb, maintain, climb, maintain is not mentally taxing.  In fact it is un-taxing and can lead to forgetting the target or arrival at the target.  The opposite is also true, returning to earth earlier than expected would be disastrous...

I am using an old method.  (1) write down what ATC said  (2) Set alt bug on altimeter.  (3) put left hand on instrument panel - uncomfortable reminder that a change is in progress. (4) continue to scan instruments.

In IMC, it seems easier, all eyes are on the instruments.  In VMC it seems more difficult as more attention is outside with much less attention to scanning instruments.

There is no light, warning, or obvious note that the plane has reached the proper altitude. 

Larry  (N9937c) has given the apollo altitrack as an example.  I think a previous owner of my plane used the KLN GPS to give altitude warnings. 

What are you using as a reminder to level off and avoid altitude busts?

Thanks for you thoughts.

Best regards,

-a-

All I do is write it on my kneeboard. I have yet to be asked to descend more than 4000' at a time, and when they ask for an expedited descent I pay much more attention to what I am doing. When they ask for the next descent before I've finished the first one, I just scribble it down. Climbs are the same, write it down and go there. Other than the initial climbout to cruise, they don't take really long. I use ↑ for climbs and ↓ for descents, along with the target in thousands.

I know some people who spin the OBS pointer on their second VOR head to indicate the new altitude.

Do whatever works for you. Fortunately I rarely fly in congested airspace.

My ICARUS GPSS module has an altitude alert system which will make a voice announcement when approaching a target altitude, and once reached, will issue a verbal warning when strayed from 150 feet. This is in addition to a "CHECK GEAR" announcement when approaching a user selectable altitude on approach.

Quote: Hank

All I do is write it on my kneeboard. I have yet to be asked to descend more than 4000', and when they ask for an expedited descent I pay much more attention to what I am doing. When they ask for the next descent before I've finished the first one, I just scribble it down. Climbs are the same, write it down and go there. Other than the initial climbout to cruise, they don't take really long.

Quote: flyboy0681

My ICARUS GPSS module has an altitude alert system which will make a voice announcement when approaching a target altitude, and once reached, will issue a verbal warning when strayed from 150 feet. This is in addition to a "CHECK GEAR" announcement when approaching a user selectable altitude on approach.

I am using an old method.  (1) write down what ATC said  (2) Set alt bug on altimeter.  (3) put left hand on instrument panel - uncomfortable reminder that a change is in progress. (4) continue to scan instruments.

All good techniques.

Might also suggest Part 121 requirements, namely:  confirm new alt. with copilot (PNF), and have him monitor and call when 1000' away from alt:  e.g., "4000 for 3000."  And,if descending to an MDA/DA, "100 above."

Solo, make yourself say the same calls. 

The trick is to never tune her out, and always respond to her in some way, even if it is to set the target altitude to something different in order to keep her quiet.  She is a good friend in the cockpit if you listen, more reliable than a copilot because she never makes a mistake.