M20F IFR power settings

1 hour ago, mike_elliott said:

For me, its not a matter of insisting on approach flaps, it is a matter of developing in a new instrument student good habits, and proper configuration for the phase of flight. As one moves up to bigger equipment, this becomes more and more critical with less wiggle room, so we try to start new IR clients off with structure and regimentation here. 

Does that mean we agree? You don't insist on approach flaps? 

If you do, then I guess we have different philosophies about what constitutes good habits.  I guess I haven't heard a good argument why 100 KIAS with approach flaps is inherently superior to 100 KIAS without them. Regimentation for the sake of regimentation never appealed to me. I was burned by an instructor dong exactly that shortly after I got my instrument rating. That's the reason for my First Commandment - thou shalt not screw with a pilot's technique that works just because you like another one better. And I don't expect someone flying a Cessna 152 to fly it like a Honda Jet (never mind an airline).

Different strokes.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2020 at 6:43 PM, jaylw314 said:

I read that as talking about 4 separate things:

• Enroute climb (100-114 KIAS)
  • Max rate climb (89-98 KIAS)
  • Max angle climb (82 KIAS)
  • Normal climb (2600 RPM/26" MAP)

I was going to start a thread asking what KIAS you guys use for normal climb (>1000FT AGL). Is doing 110kt something common? What VS do you see climbing at 110kt? I'm talking M20J, which should be similar to a M20F, no?

4 minutes ago, redbaron1982 said:

I was going to start a thread asking what KIAS you guys use for normal climb (>1000FT AGL). Is doing 110kt something common? What VS do you see climbing at 110kt? I'm talking M20J, which should be similar to a M20F, no?

Anywhere from 95kts to 105kts IAS for me, depending on OAT, terrain, etc., etc.  If the oil or CHTs are getting hot or I'm trying to not bust the bottom of the edge of the Bravo, I'll tend toward higher IAS.  Climb rate is typically 500 ft/min to 1200 ft/min depending on conditions, (e.g., DA), weight, etc.   High DA climbs around terrain are -100-1000 ft/min.    It varies.  ;) 

19 hours ago, redbaron1982 said:

I've started playing with Vz, the "efficient climb" and it seems to work well. You can search for the concept but it comes down to.

1.32 x sea level Vy, WOT. lean and maintain CHT.
When climb rate drops to 500 fpm, maintain it.
When speed drops to Vy, maintain it.

1 hour ago, Pinecone said:

Interesting.  I just hit on a climb speed of about 125 KIAS in my 252.  It seemed to be a good compromise of ground speed, rate of climb and cooling.

My Vy is 96, so 1.32x that is 126 KIAS.  PERFECT

I've seen a 20 KIAS difference in some other aircraft. Diamond DA40 and Ovation are two wide apart examples.  I wonder whether the POH recommended enroute climb speed is a density altitude compromise, something that would not apply to a turbo.