Mooney Safety

Good evening,

I hope everyone is staying safe in these difficult times. 

After reading about Diamonds safety record and how they build their airplanes with tough flexible stainless steel braided high pressure fuel lines that move with deformed structures that have vastly superior strength and rupture resistance than the common aluminum fuel lines and how they build their fuel tanks with a twin wing spar design allowing the fuel to be placed in separate aluminum tanks located between the protective spars and reading about how Mooney Ultra Acclaim N576CM burned after it crashed in Arizona last year, I wonder if Mooneys are more prone to post accident fires? 

I would like to buy a Mooney. I have always liked them, but Iam concerned about how safe they are and if they are more vulnerable to post accident fires than other GA aircraft. 

Your comments would be greatly appreciated. 

Thank you, 

Fernando Paez 

Edited by Fernando Paez

Hey Fernando...

Mooneys also have their fuel between the spars...

Unfortunately, with Mark’s accident... he chose (awesomely) hitting a pole over hitting cars and people...

There isn’t a fuel tank or braided hose that can withstand that...

Two doors is helpful, and not hitting tall thin objects... is key.

airbag seatbelts help keep the passengers awake and alive to exit the plane...

There is plenty of room for improvement for all flying machines...

Avoiding accidents... is a Continuous improvement challenge...

Most often we are working on the man, machine, and the interface... 

Unfortunately, we don’t even know the cause for the accident yet... that Type of failure shouldn't happen...

PP thoughts only, not a mechanic or sales guy...

Go Mooney!

Which Mooney interests you the most?

Best regards,

-a-

• Like 1

Thank you for your response. 

Did not know that Mooneys also have their fuel between the spars. That is good to know. 

I guess that in Marks case what did not help him was that the Acclaim flipped over during the accident. I agree with you that there is probably not a fuel tank or braided hose that can withstand that. 

Another question, is Mooneys Safety Record similar, lower or higher than other Retractable GA airplanes? 

Regards, 

Fernando 

Hi Fernando

Do you happen to have a link to the Diamond discussion on fuel tanks?  I would be interested in reading it.  The overbraid is interesting.  I know my very old Mooney would be vulnerable in the area where the fuel exists the wing and transfers to the fuselage.  Not sure how the Acclaim is.  I have also wondered if the bladder StC makes the tank less vulnerable to rupture.  Intuitively it should help, but there are no hard numbers.  I don’t know if that is an option on an Acclaim.  Anthony is right, the front of the tank is a sub spar, but it is not as robust at the main spar.  Curious if Diamond has a full up forward spar?  

Thank you for your response. 

https://www.diamondaircraft.com/en/private-pilots/safety/

Here is a link to what I read. Pretty amazing what they did on safety. 

This is a safety Video about the DA62 it is really worth watching. After watching you will see that the DA62 is a pretty amazing airplane, unfortunately I think it is ugly...haha.       

And Athony going back to your question I would love to have a Mooney Acclaim. Two things make me think twice. Knowing if there is going to be parts to take care of its maintenance know that the factory shut down and what happened to Mark. I am almost positive that I saw that airplane at the Mooney Plant when I visited it in late April of last year. Reading about what happened to it on the news impacted and made me feel me pretty bad. 

Thank you, 

Fernando 

• Like 1

I had the opportunity to hang around one of the first shops in the country, certified to work on the DA62. And I saw a lot of them. It is a beautiful airplane, and I'd be very tempted to own one, if I lived in that tax bracket. 

But they are not without problems. The guys at the shop would tell me that it's a good thing they have two engines, because there was always issues with at least one of them. Cooling issues and oiling issues were rampant. And planes often sat for weeks while waiting on parts from Europe. After watching that shop for three years, I'd be very hesitant to consider a DA62.

The nice things about the Acclaim...

1) The engine is quite modern, and extremely well developed... and generously powerful...

2) The instrument panel, has been revised and got better and better... full waas, great AP, color screens, great data...

3) The single power plant is dual TN’d and can climb at 2kfpm continuously up to the FLs... seek the 310hp version.

4) The interior I sat in at KOSH was luxurious...

For me...

Power to weight ratio provides excellent T/O distance and climb rate...

I have the M20R/O1 aka a Standing O.  Prior experience was an M20C...

For some interesting Acclaim Experience... find the writings of @Joe Zuffoletto

Joe has since sold his Acclaim, but his writing about it lives on...

Best regards,

-a-