Metal Repair

Hey guys in this pic you can see where there is some cracked metal near the exhaust.  Its where the exhaust tube exits the cowling area.  Is this repairable?  If not is this a part that can be purchased?  You can see where it was stop drilled but if I can fix it I would prefer that option.

-Ray

post-3224-13468140496759_thumb.jpg

No I am not sure what caused the cracks....they were there when I got the plane.  You can see they were stop drilled and there hasnt been any further cracking.  How would I find what part that is?  Also what do you think it would cost to have a local refab make the part?

Ray,

That is really out of shape too.  Aside from the crack, it is all bent by the screws.  My m20c had some doublers with many rivets and stop drills too.  It seems like the part is susceptible to erosion also.  Fortunately it is not at eyeball level, and it is not a super tight spot either....I vote for A&P fix it up, while searching for mooney replacement.

That west coast chopper guru would knock this stuff out in 15 minutes on TV.

Best regards,

-a-

with the amount of damage there you should go ahead and see about replacing that. I could come down to take a look. Where do you have it parked? I am not doing anything this Sat or Sun in the morning and I am cheap. Coffee in the morning is all I need. We can take a look, see what needs to be replaced then find the part. Dugosh might have somthing that works or we can call Don. Send me an email at rheitzman@amsafe.com and we can set date / time. I need to keep the rust off my tools and dust off my A&P license.

• 2 weeks later...