Buying\Looking for M20 Models, C, E, F

Vagus

Good morning everyone,

I am looking for a Pre M20 Model in the Fort Worth, TX area. Looking to buy in other states as well (Occasional sale preferred but not a deal breaker if you hold a tax license) I am a cash buyer.

I would like to have the plane equipped with the following:

Kings Radios, 2 VORS (preferred), Garmin 430W or 530W, ADSB out/in, Auto Pilot / wing leveler but preferred (STEC  30-60 / Brititan), Manual Bar Preferred, M208B SB completed within the last 3 years, Engine time 100-800 SMOH, Prop 100-800 SMOH (or more with no AD on hub), Flown at least 90-120 hours in the last two years. Hangered preferred. Fuel tanks sealed within last 3 years or fuel bladders, (back up vacuum pump preferred but not a deal breaker), speed mods not needed but a bonus, and updated interior is a plus.

If you have a plane for sale that meets this criteria than send me a message and we can get in touch and discuss pricing via phone.

Edited by Vagus

@steingar we want what we want and we just gotta find it (were you being sarcastic or something? lol. Alot of time on your hands eh if that's the case.. go fly your Mooney or something haha!)

@skydvrboy There's always another airplane popping up, just gotta be patient. I actually did see a couple that met that criteria but missed the boat. I'm not one to settle. So, I'll rent a Mooney tilll I can find the plane I want! :)

• Confused 1

• 11 months later...

Buying a specific plane like the OP described....

1) takes a lot of effort...

2) Travelling long distances...

3) lots of time...

or...

4) Good luck...

There are just not that many for sale, with many buyers in the market...

It really helps to know what you are looking for, and have the ability to go see it... wherever it is...

Best regards,

-a-

Keep your eye on the market and eventually you will find something.  I was the first person to look at the C that I just bought because I saw it the day it was listed and then flew to Atlanta the next day.  I had a pretty good idea of what I wanted and this one had it all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, steingar said:

Probably poorly.  Most of the older airframes aren't maintained to that standard.  Those that are don' t come up for sale all that often.

agreed.  the book value of the vintage models is low enough that sinking a ton of cash into interior/avionics doesn't usually happen unless someone plans to keep it for a while.

I just wondered because his last post was almost exactly a year ago. Maybe he moved on to a different type. But I'm also @ KFTW and in the beginning stages of looking for a Mooney.

There are a number of decent pre-J planes out there. The problem is that you can’t pry the yokes out of our hands.

And as was mentioned previously, when they do come up, they don’t last long.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, rbridges said:

agreed.  the book value of the vintage models is low enough that sinking a ton of cash into interior/avionics doesn't usually happen unless someone plans to keep it for a while.

That is what happened to mine.  Seller was planning on keeping it, but ended up going in a different direction.  So, I am pretty happy to have a JPI-930, G5 AI, and a bunch of speed mods.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, cferr59 said:

That is what happened to mine.  Seller was planning on keeping it, but ended up going in a different direction.  So, I am pretty happy to have a JPI-930, G5 AI, and a bunch of speed mods.

Oh wow, I recognize the tail number because it was close to mine.  I didn't realize Dave sold his mooney.  He did drop a lot for upgrades recently.  

The bigger issue is that you Cheap Bast$&ds keep saying vintage Mooneys are overpriced. Against what? Here are two examples of what I mean. A 1974 and 1975 Cessna 172. Pretty paint, pretty bare bones avionics. The 74 is listed at $110k and the 75 at $88k. Even the ratty looking 172s are listed for more than a better equipped Mooney. Why is that?

3cfdb215eacd8219cc89025c52783b33.pngc53b6a9ad40f9ee858e13ab9b84b3d89.png

So when I hear someone say, “I don’t know Marauder, I don’t think you can get $80k for your 1975 F”, I want to cringe. I have a solid avionics package, a mid-time engine, new interior and soon new paint. So, my competition is a 172? Really?

I really wish you guys would appreciate that you are flying a speedster that is not only economical to fly, but fun to fly. Posting that a Mooney is over priced is like telling your wife she is ugly. Could it be all Mooney owners are divorced?

5d7a735bdf3178936b0055b891ebde12.jpg86d4b42e0142b6d02595b8cbf73eec1f.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Marauder said:

The bigger issue is that you Cheap Bast$&ds keep saying vintage Mooneys are overpriced. Against what? Here are two examples of what I mean. A 1974 and 1975 Cessna 172. Pretty paint, pretty bare bones avionics. The 74 is listed at $110k and the 75 at $88k. Even the ratty looking 172s are listed for more than a better equipped Mooney. Why is that?

3cfdb215eacd8219cc89025c52783b33.pngc53b6a9ad40f9ee858e13ab9b84b3d89.png

So when I hear someone say, “I don’t know Marauder, I don’t think you can get $80k for your 1975 F”, I want to cringe. I have a solid avionics package, a mid-time engine, new interior and soon new paint. So, my competition is a 172? Really?

I really wish you guys would appreciate that you are flying a speedster that is not only economical to fly, but fun to fly. Posting that a Mooney is over priced is like telling your wife she is ugly. Could it be all Mooney owners are divorced? emoji16.png

5d7a735bdf3178936b0055b891ebde12.jpg86d4b42e0142b6d02595b8cbf73eec1f.jpg

But 172’s are money makers though, right?.   That’s why the demand drives the prices up.   

6 hours ago, carusoam said:

Buying a specific plane like the OP described....

1) takes a lot of effort...

2) Travelling long distances...

3) lots of time...

or...

4) Good luck...

There are just not that many for sale, with many buyers in the market...

It really helps to know what you are looking for, and have the ability to go see it... wherever it is...

Best regards,

-a-

And,

5) Willing to PAY.  IMHO, those uncompromising 'picky' buyers never seem to think, even if they find the 'perfect' plane, that it's worth the price.

22 minutes ago, MikeOH said:

And,

5) Willing to PAY.  IMHO, those uncompromising 'picky' buyers never seem to think, even if they find the 'perfect' plane, that it's worth the price.

Another factor to consider is financing.  I was fortunate not to have to finance a significant amount, but I ended up with a Vref below what I was paying which could have limited me.  I have reasons I feel it was inaccurate, but I didn't and a lot of buyers won't want to argue with their bank.

We know a guy...

He wrote the guide for Mooney valuation...

There isn’t a better tool for determining the value of a Mooney...

Now the challenge... can you get your bank to accept the valuation By the Mooney valuation expert...?

For questions regarding Mooney Valuations... check in with Jimmy Garrison @ All American Aircraft...

He has offered the tool around here before, recently...

Best regards,

-a-