Insurance Question

Skyatty

Who is the underwriter for AOPA? I dont think they are insuring aircraft themselves.  AOPA financing is just plain old Bank of America and what you'd expect from them, I am shocked AOPA offers this with their name on it. The AOPA rep even agreed with us.

I just renewed with Falcon and got a million smooth with USAIG, $165k haul for right around $2k. I had one claim with USAIG, no hitches ($7,000 claim for hangar rash). AOPA and Avemco have always been over-the-top over priced in the market place. Like not even close to other insurers.

I bought through Leading Edge Insurance, www.aviationinsurors.com and have used Rose Marie for several years now. She gave me quotes from Chartis, Starr and Britt/Paulk Insurance. Chartis was higher than the other two, however, I knew more about Chartis and went with them. The difference was a little more than $100 between them. Oh yeah, also, Chartis offers a 5% discount if you are an AOPA member. The savings should equal the cost of the AOPA membership....I had a claim with Starr a half dozen years ago with a Luscombe ( I wasn't the pilot, just the owner) and the claim was paid within a few days.....no questions asked.

• 4 weeks later...

I've done some shopping for insurance for my 1966 M20C.  Hull valued at $60,000 with liability limits at $1 million per occurrence / $100,000 per passenger.  All the quotes have the same limits of liability and hull value.  Medical benefits vary a little between each one but most are either $3,000 or $5,000.

The quotes below reflect those limits.

Avemco                        $1,696              $300 not in motion / $300 in motion

Chartis / Aerospace       $1,067              $0 deductibles

Global Aerospace          $1,078              $50 not in motion / $250 in motion

Phoenix Aviation            $1,298              $0 not in motion / $200 in motion

Starr Aviation                 $1,067              $0 deductibles

US AIG                         $1,276              $0 deductibles

US Specialty                 Declined to quote – quoted to another broker

London Aviation             Waiting for quote

Quote: N5MD

I've done some shopping for insurance for my 1966 M20C.  Hull valued at $60,000 with liability limits at $1 million per occurrence / $100,000 per passenger.  All the quotes have the same limits of liability and hull value.  Medical benefits vary a little between each one but most are either $3,000 or $5,000.

And what are the pilot Total Time and Retractable Time ?

N5MD's quotes are in line with what I'm paying with my local broker, at least since I got my Instrument Rating. First year, 62 hours, 0 complex, was bad; 2nd year, 100 Mooney hours, ~170 TT, was $1600; now with IA, it's running about $1300. I'm happy.

Quote: Hank

N5MD's quotes are in line with what I'm paying with my local broker, at least since I got my Instrument Rating. First year, 62 hours, 0 complex, was bad; 2nd year, 100 Mooney hours, ~170 TT, was $1600; now with IA, it's running about $1300. I'm happy.

• 3 months later...

Quote: N5MD

The quotes below reflect those limits.

Avemco                        $1,696              $300 not in motion / $300 in motion

Chartis / Aerospace       $1,067              $0 deductibles

Global Aerospace          $1,078              $50 not in motion / $250 in motion

Phoenix Aviation            $1,298              $0 not in motion / $200 in motion

Starr Aviation                 $1,067              $0 deductibles

US AIG                         $1,276              $0 deductibles

US Specialty                 Declined to quote – quoted to another broker

London Aviation             Waiting for quote

I heard that! Been with the local guy four years, and beat Avemco's price this year by 40%. Haven't tried AOPA or Falcon yet . . . But I figure the savings against Avemco will almost pay for my owner-assisted annual this fall. My broker gave me four quotes, three within $40, one a couple hundred higher, then my call to Avemco [never got the hat] at $850 higher.