Request: Tampa area airport and FBO recommendation

What is your recomendation for the following situation?

Traveling to FL for a few days to witness the end of pre-season baseball.

The stadium we will be visiting is at Tampa International.  I will be traveling by M20R.

What airport and FBO do you recommend.

We will be renting a car for local trans.

Thanks for your ideas.

Best regards,

-a-

I just spent 4 days in Tampa for the NCAA games.  I suggest Peter O'Night field, KTPF.  There's only one FBO on the field and they are very nice to deal with (helped me out with a rough running engine).  Also, they rented me a vehicle for less than half of what was being offered online anywhere (NCAA tournament increased the rates accross the city).  It was even a Ram 1500 they game me, not a small compact - it worked out very well.  I left this morning.

This is a non towered field under class Bravo (TPA) and just a short inlet bay accross the water from an Air Force Base - if you depart runway 22, make sure to turn left pretty quickly or you'll have a pair of F-16's as wingmen pretty soon (ask them about the time an F-14 and a C-130 landed there by mistake).  Construction is ongoing on the ramp but the aircraft are kept well clear of it.  The airport is locatedon Davis Island and has a very good feel - you're about 15 minutes by car to TPA.  There is no FBO handling fee, parking is $12 or $16 a night, and they waive the first night with a fuel purchase. 

And Princeton nearly upset Kentucky - that was a good game!

-Seth

Also, while down there, I flew over to SPG - Albert Whitted Airport to give a friend his first flying experience.  They have temporarility closed runway 7-25 for a car racing event where the airport will be used as the straightaway - I haven't looked it up, but does anyone know what circut this for?  Lemans? 

While taxing back to 36 for takeoff, I glance to my right, and behold - a Mooney M22 Mustang.  One of only 36 ever produced.  I took off soon after, but that's the first time I've laid eyes on an actual M22. 

Have fun at the game!

Thank you guys for the great recommendations. 

Used Pete O Knight. got the rental car. Saw two ball games. 

Spectacular airport.  Boats on one side, planes on the other, and seaplanes for the guys who could only have one extra vehicle.

Got out of town early in the morning before the thunderstorms kicked up between TX and GA......(wow what a weekend of tough weather for those guys).

Mike, thanks for the offer, couldn't stay long enough.....

Go Tigers (Princeton)....

There is so much to see in the Tampa area, would like to stay for a few more weeks.  I only heard of Ybor City from history books.  History books failed to mention what Ybor City has evolved into.

Best regards,

-a-