Installing OX

Go with the portable. The cost of the installed one is to much (around $3500) and about $100 per fill up. I have a 13 cubic feet tank that costs me $11 at a dive shop to fill with oxygen (no air). There are more options to have your portable filled (dive shops, medical supplies, gas supplies and welding shops) than an installed one (only some FBOs). The tank last me for 13 hours at 14,000 feet. With the portable you do not have a dead weight when you don't need it. For the hydrostatic test (every 5 years) it is much simpler and cheaper on the portable, you will have to remove the installed tank.

José

I use a Mountain High pulse demand system (O2d2) with small canullas, which greatly decreases O2 consumption.

It is not a cheap unit, but I hardly ever need to refill. If you have easy and cheap access to )2 refills (such as a good dive shop that sells pure o2) , then you might just be fine with the conserving cannulas.

Getting O2 was one of the greatest investments I ve ever made in flying. I don't fly a turbo, but routinely fly at 8k-10k altitudes, and using O2 I feel much less tired at destination. Of course, I have also used it extensively to clear weather, taking my M20F to 18k on its first flight (I bought it in Denmark and flew it back to England).

Go for a portable unit, much easier to refill and maintain, let alone talking about installation costs!

• 1 month later...

I use O2 when above 8k for more than a couple of hours. I also regularly fly at 14-17 on a sky ox The tanks is a pain to refill due to the medical style coupler. My colleague has a small welding cylinder with a valve purchased off of ebay. It is cheaper to fill and he gets about the same utilization rate as I do. His cost about 300.00 mine about 800.00 us.