What to do with a broken 2.25" tachometer?

toto

What year is your Mooney?  My '85 gets signals from the ignition switch directly. I've got a perfectly good spare that happened to be next production serial number that works and would be willing to help out if you want to try it.

Great, thanks for the offer. I may take you up on that if it turns out that the tach itself is the source of the problem.

The plane is an '89, and I'm still a little confused about the installed equipment. The mechanic consulted Mooney tech support before even opening the cowl, and they were the source of info on the tach generator. He has since shipped the tach generator off for repair, though I don't believe that the indicator has been completely ruled out. I should know more in the next few days.

UMA makes a TSO 2.25" tach electric that is driven by a sensor inserted into a mag vent port.  It is what I used in my 96 J and it looks exactly like the factory instrument.  I personally think the EI tachs look like something that belongs in a pinball machine.  I took out the one the previous owner used in my panel and replaced it with the UMA.

UMA makes a TSO 2.25" tach electric that is driven by a sensor inserted into a mag vent port.  It is what I used in my 96 J and it looks exactly like the factory instrument.  I personally think the EI tachs look like something that belongs in a pinball machine.  I took out the one the previous owner used in my panel and replaced it with the UMA.

Yep, Fritz mentioned this up above. I do think the UMA units look much closer to the original.

I was sort of shocked to see that the EI tachs haven't changed in 20 years - seems like a missed opportunity. The current EI factory manual was last updated in 1997.